October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Mr. White Goes to Chicago (Riot Fest)

More
27 May 2016 15:40 #228296 by Mr. White
The siren call was too much. The list of bands too great.

I'm heading to that Misfits reunion show in Chicago. It wasn't just them though: Morrissey, The Specials, Social Distortion, Swingin' Utters, The Toasters, Bob Mould, The Vandals...damn this is like a complete list of my HS and college favorites. Add 'recent to me' darlings like Tiger Army and The Hold Steady on top of everyone else...I couldn't resist. To be honest, this may be the last time I see many of these acts. They aren't getting any younger and, well, 2016.

Speaking of Morrissey (who still may or may not show...) here's some missing Morrissey, yet none the less interesting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2016 15:44 #228297 by Michael Barnes
Isn't weird that all of that stuff is now, really, grown folks music. Like how "oldies" stuff was for us in the 80s. There was as much time between classic rock n' roll from like 1958 and 1988 as there is between "How Soon is Now" and, well now. That freaks me out.

Hope you have fun, man...it's an awesome bill. What if Danzig and Morrissey somehow got together...

More
27 May 2016 15:47 #228298 by Black Barney
that concert is for dumb people
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Mr. White

More
27 May 2016 15:52 - 27 May 2016 15:55 #228299 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: Isn't weird that all of that stuff is now, really, grown folks music. Like how "oldies" stuff was for us in the 80s. There was as much time between classic rock n' roll from like 1958 and 1988 as there is between "How Soon is Now" and, well now. That freaks me out.

You're exactly right. I don't go for festivals...at all. In fact, I've been to none of the big ones hosted here in Austin, but have always waited to catch the acts when they tour through on their own. This bill though really is like a golden oldies collection for folks around our age. What put it over was a buddy of mine is flying in from NYC. He was part of the group I'd ride around with all over the South East (Nashville, Atlanta, Birmingham) in college trying to catch these bands. Will be a fun reunion of sorts.
Last edit: 27 May 2016 15:55 by Mr. White.

More
27 May 2016 15:52 #228300 by the_jake_1973
Jessica Hernandez and The Deltas and Juliette and the Licks would be great to see.

More
27 May 2016 16:07 #228305 by Michael Barnes
Other than Lollapalooza '92, I've only been to one other big festival. Frankly, it was pretty dreadful. It was Music Midtown, I guess it was 2002, 2003? I saw a lot of cool stuff (The Cult, Cheap Trick, Run DMC, Stone Roses, Public Enemy, Devo, AL FUCKING GREEN, some other stuff I don't remember except for Steppenwolf where we walked up, heard "Born to be Wild" and "Magic Carpet Ride" and then left) but it was just such a shitty environment to watch bands you really care about. It's fine when you're just kind of hanging out or are just sort of casually interested in live music...but if you really want to see this stuff, it can be sort of a drag.

I've always wanted to go to Coachella (at least before it became a "thing" among the Kardashian-type people), but then I think about it and I realize I would probably hate it. Riot Fest should be better though because it's at least somewhat less mainstream.

There was the big Shaky Knees thing here a couple of weeks ago, Social D was on it along with At the Drive In, Jane's Addiction and some other stuff but we didn't go.

More
27 May 2016 16:18 - 27 May 2016 16:20 #228307 by Mr. White
I totally feel ya. I expect this to be a fun 'guys getaway' for the weekend with this fest playing as the soundtrack. I've seen most these acts before in more intimate venues, and I'm sure those shows will be the ones I think of when I think back, but I'm sure I'll have a great time.

For a brief minute we considered the VIP package, but I decided I'm good on fortune tellers and private circus performers...
Last edit: 27 May 2016 16:20 by Mr. White.

More
27 May 2016 16:52 #228311 by SuperflyPete
fuuuuck. Misfit reunion AND The Specials? A Message to you Rudy is like one of my all time fave jams.

More
27 May 2016 17:48 #228315 by Mr. White

the_jake_1973 wrote: Jessica Hernandez and The Deltas and Juliette and the Licks would be great to see.

I'll look into them before I go.

More
27 May 2016 18:42 #228319 by Michael Barnes
Juliette and the Licks is Juliette Lewis, the actress.

More
27 May 2016 18:59 #228321 by SuperflyPete

Mr. White wrote: ...but have always waited to catch the acts when they tour through on their own.

If I could move into that back room at the Saxon Pub, I might have abandoned my family to do so. OMG Best bar on the planet

More
21 Sep 2016 08:51 - 21 Sep 2016 15:13 #234655 by Mr. White
Quick rundown...

Just prior to the Misfits show, my buddy wanted to see some band I had never heard of, but with the masses filling in on the last evening, we opt to get a good spot for the Misfits. We stand around for about an hour and a half listening to Rob Zombie play his set on the next stage over. It sort of sucks, but we didn’t travel all the way here by accident and are sure to have a good view for the Misfits show. The crowd must be about 100 yards deep, yet when the band finally hits more people materialize and multiple large waves crash in. I ride one to get an even better view, but my buddy side steps out of the way, so we’re completely separated for the first half of the show.

Hard to breathe and move, but I’m singing Death Comes Ripping, 20 Eyes, and I turned Into a Martian with thousands of other fiends and anticipating a great time.

Then I find out that in 2016….I don’t care for Glenn Danzig Misfits...

A winded Glenn goes off between every song. Lots of f-bombs, mother f-bombs, f-this and f-that. He runs down the stage hands several times. One example: “Sh!t! this mic is taped wrong! These mother F’s know how I like my tape…f them!” He comments, “I’m still in mother f’ing shape!” while flexing a bicep. Reminds us each time “Here’s another song _I_ wrote…” or “You f’ers are lucky to see me up here tonight!”. Oh, don’t forget…”I must be having fun…my fly keeps coming down!”

Everything is centered around Glenn. The Rob Zombie type crowd loves his coarseness, so maybe I’m just getting old, but the whole thing felt dumb if not brutish. As one reviewer puts it…”between each song Glenn proves himself to be less the Prince of Darkness and more Beavis and Butthead”.

Conversely, the times I’ve seen Jerry Only’s version, he’s been all smiles, constantly thanking the crowd, helpful to the stage hands, approachable before and after the show, never flexed and told us how swole he is, etc. His shows felt like a celebration of music. This show was an event, so there’s the energy of that for sure, but for this old guy the event felt little more Glenn worship….and I don’t seem to be a Glenn fan.

Anyway, I still sing along and have a great time, and after 30mins I make my way through three pits back to my buddy. We finish out the evening singing the rest of the set where we can breathe.

The first time there’s any sort of crowd recognition is also the first time Only gets any real mic time. Coming back for the encore, Jerry comes out first to thank everyone for coming out and being fans all these years, without us this wouldn’t be possible, yadda, yadda.

I understand that Glenn was the misfit kid and Jerry was the popular football player that wanted to be liked, heck I’m surprised they lasted six years in their original run, and I don’t need someone to fluff me when I go to their show but in this case, one seems like a professional and the other a diva.

On the up side, the music was tight and Only made for an great backup singer. Those years of touring and vocal lessons paid off there. I have no doubt they could make truck loads of cash if they extend a tour or cut an album, an album which I’d check out for sure, but I guess I’m not that into Danzig’s shtick.

Oh, there was a little bit of real terror as some unfortunate soul in a wheelchair was very clumsily being crowd surfed out of the throngs of humanity. Poor dude.

Beyond the Misfits, Morrissey was the other act that made this festival too good to pass up.

Where most artist tried to maximize their limited time blazing through their hits, Mozzer had us sit through a 30 minute series of Ramones, Damned, Sex Pistols, Tina Turner, and Warhol videos. While every other act had their banner behind them, Stephen Patrick set out to remind us why we were all here with this collection of his influences. Again, his set wasn’t a greatest hits, feel good, move some merch list….he played ‘Ganglord’ in front of very graphic videos of police brutality against people and animals. The crowd was silent and visibly disturbed throughout. Heavy stuff and a bolder move than even any of the hip hop acts attempted. He didn’t play a lot of his solo hits or even many Smiths songs except one, closing with the underrated ‘What She Said’.

He did play one of my favorites of his, Speedway, but there halfway through the song, the lights went out, and came back on to him being gone and Gustav Manzur finishing the song in Spanish. With his adoration in the latino community I thought this was genius. Seems he’s done this a few times, so I was able to find a video from last year.

With all the hubbub of Morrissey fitting in with the fest or not, his show was the one that felt anything close to real punk spirit.

Oh, don’t let me forget to mention that the food vendors were forbidden to sell meat during his show.

Much has been made about this and as usual the ire is placed on Morrissey. I dunno, if the festival organizers didn’t want to chase his fan dollars they could have not given into this demand and left him off the bill. Agree with them or not, he stuck to his principals. For a man without any sort of hit in the US in a long time…he’s got stroke…

We’re gonna miss him when he’s gone…

All in all I had a great time and this was my first real positive experience at a three day festival. There was plenty of space, lines were manageable, and the weather was great. I got to hang out with a good friend I hadn’t seen in awhile, gave away my old London Calling jacket, saw Tiger Army, The Hold Steady, Descendants, Vandals, and Smoking Popes for the first time and grinned when Darius Koski of the Swingin’ Utters rocked a Thin Lizzy shirt during their set. It’s cool to see artist you like sync up with interests in other artist as you, but I guess that shouldn’t be a surprise when they do.

EDIT: All pics except the food sign were with my phone. I only snapped a few as I didn't want to live any of these experience through my screen. Perhaps I should have zoomed in a bit more, but I was closer than the images appear.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 15:13 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, sornars, JEM

More
21 Sep 2016 09:45 #234661 by hotseatgames
I'm glad I got to see Morrissey last year on a solo tour. And he did that same kind of stuff at his show. He sounded great, but honestly was a pain in the ass as you'd expect. If he is ever doing an all-Smiths show, I'd definitely go back but I doubt I'd do another solo show.

More
21 Sep 2016 09:49 - 21 Sep 2016 09:54 #234663 by Mr. White
yeah, before his show started, I was talking with those around me and we figured we'd get a shorter set than the 2 hrs advertised, but we figured we'd lose out on the back half as he'd tantrum off. I didn't expect the front end to be truncated with videos. It's been about two decades since I've seen him live, but I hear he does a montage prior to all his shows now.

I'm a total apologist, so am aware that I cut him a lot of slack, but everyone has to know at this point what they're in for. if you think he's an insufferable douche, then a 30min wait isn't going to help. I just take it all in stride. dude is definitely unique. I'd see him again and it looks like he's in San Antonio in November. Sold out, so not sure I want to pay scalper prices this soon after all the festival expenses.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 09:54 by Mr. White.

More
21 Sep 2016 09:54 #234664 by Gary Sax
Little easier to stomach at a festival with so many acts. But you're right it's a very punk thing to do.

Loved your thoughts on the misfits.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.475 seconds