October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

2016 Origins Special Edition Magazine

More
More
01 Jul 2016 13:48 #229612 by hotseatgames
Great magazine. And you slightly misquoted me. I called Octo Dice "Euro Point Salad Bullshit". ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2016 13:59 #229614 by SuperflyPete
Don't make me share that picture of you that I memed
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
01 Jul 2016 14:31 #229617 by Mr. White
Good report, Pete.

That's not just a bad ass looking hydra....that's Tiamat herself.

More
01 Jul 2016 14:42 #229620 by Egg Shen
Awesome stuff Pete. I always look forward to when you do this. You tend to focus on a bunch of cool shit that I would otherwise have never heard about.

I'm really interested in that Malifaux Puppet game. No clue that existed. Also, nice report on that RIse of the Occulites game. I almost pulled the trigger on that one a few months ago. Coolstuff had the painted sets for like $150. I couldn't do it though. Looks like an interesting skirmish style game though.

I've got Defenders of the Last Stand, but I haven't even cracked it open yet. Haven't had a spare minute. It sounds like I'm gonna love it.

More
01 Jul 2016 15:14 - 01 Jul 2016 15:15 #229626 by Michael Barnes
This is way too much work to do for free. I feel like you should send me an invoice for this.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2016 15:15 by Michael Barnes.

More
01 Jul 2016 15:52 #229631 by SuperflyPete
Well, the way I see it, all of this free press for publishers should make it easier to get review copies, so that makes me a valuable Miniature Market employee...like a Senior Writer.

@Egg Shen: Couple rules that aren't written:
1. If you die, on your next turn move to Last Stand, recover your life and end your turn.
2. Can't directly attack a boss if minions are on space.

I loved Puppet Wars. If I wasn't balls deep in medical bills I'd have bought it.

I literally left the house with $180, and came home with Tiny Epic Galaxies, $8 in hooker meeples for Hoodrats, a 15$ hat, and 50$. I didn't buy shit, really. Gas, parking, food, and bourbon. And tums for Dave, and a couple of Gatorades.

Puppet wars is cool because it's like a miniature version of Summoner Wars, and when you kill something, it leaves it's guts piled on the floor, which your models can pick up and buff themselves with. Really cool.

Occulites was cool because it's mission/objective based. Like "learn to make fire to keep your tribe warm" on one team, "harvest x food" on the other. Totally asymmetrical, and combat is a big part of the game but not the sole purpose. Too fucking expensive though.

More
02 Jul 2016 01:46 #229644 by Colorcrayons
Puppet wars is a really interesting skirmish game. I bought into it heavily during the metal 1.0 version and the all plastic and nicely molded 2.0. The plastics are great.
And it also offers very easy game pimping by adding thread spools and other such sewing ephemera to it.
The card action is novel.
Sadly it wasn't popular enough to make the expansion which was badly needed. The game has been lying fallow for a couple years now in limbo.
I got rid of my set last year because it never got played. Broke my heart.

More
05 Jul 2016 02:37 #229690 by daveroswell

hotseatgames wrote: Great magazine. And you slightly misquoted me. I called Octo Dice "Euro Point Salad Bullshit". ;)

I tend to like Euro Point Seafood Salad. This seafood salad was a little bland...maybe needed tartar sauce.

More
05 Jul 2016 09:52 #229697 by Msample
What would be cool would be for similar write ups on WBC and CSW Expo - the latter esp for wargame coverage.

More
05 Jul 2016 10:43 #229704 by SuperflyPete
Dave (Roswell) is going to do something for WBC this year; probably send me photos and his articles and I'll format it. CSW...I didn't even know they had a con.

Honestly, I want to do Adepticon in Chicago because there's a shit ton of miniatures games there.

More
05 Jul 2016 15:37 #229730 by Msample

SuperflyTNT wrote: Dave (Roswell) is going to do something for WBC this year; probably send me photos and his articles and I'll format it. CSW...I didn't even know they had a con.

Honestly, I want to do Adepticon in Chicago because there's a shit ton of miniatures games there.

If I go to WBC I'll see what I can scrape together .

CSW has had a con for 16 years now. Its out in Phoenix. Its pretty small, about 300 people the last few years. Its overwhelming focus is on wargames, especially monster games. Even though many companies send out principals and designers, the dealer room is minimal. The focus is on playing and playtesting all sorts of wargames.

If you're a hex and counter gamer, CSW Expo is absolutely the mecca of game cons. In one giant ballroom you'll see multiple OCS games, MMP Grand Tactical Series games like Devils Cauldron or Greatest Day, La Bataille games, World in Flames. Here is the list:

expo.consimworld.com/game-sign-ups/

Also are MANY playtests of up and coming designs.

The overall atmosphere is very laid back. And the hotel venue is simply the best. The hotel loves the event, takes really good care of the group and welcomes us back. I had gone to the prior 15 years but had to bow out this year. And even while many fly in, the hotel is located right next to ASU, so there are tons of places to eat and drink within easy walking distance.

If you're a wargamer, you gotta check it out someday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Jul 2016 16:57 #229735 by Gary Sax
The bit where it's next to ASU and food is definitely a sell... I would love to play some of my longer wargames someday.

More
05 Jul 2016 20:00 #229739 by Msample
The venue is really part of the appeal. People literally come from all over the world. The ballroom is truly a once in a lifetime spectacle for war gamers.

More
06 Jul 2016 09:50 #229749 by SuperflyPete
I may have to check it out. I'm going to WBC and Adepticon next year, likely, so maybe the following year I'll go. I'll be 44 by then so I figure I'll be closer to the proper age bracket.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds