October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2437 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Canada!

More
07 May 2018 16:44 #272838 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Canada!
Boy, it sucks to get to the inspection stage and be put back to square 1. I feel for you. Still, at least you found all that shit rather than buying it and finding out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2018 11:04 - 10 May 2018 11:12 #273033 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Canada!

Gary Sax wrote: Boy, it sucks to get to the inspection stage and be put back to square 1. I feel for you. Still, at least you found all that shit rather than buying it and finding out.

Yeah, especially since our current landlord wanted to know if we'd be staying for another year the following Tuesday. But ultimately, I'm appreciative to the inspector for saving us a lot of misery.

I had flashes of various "Betrayal at the House on the Hill" scenarios playing through my mind.

The Gas Leak is actually a portal to hell.
That retention wall will collapse and send your house into the street.
The guest bedrooms on the ground floor will have that lonely joist collapse, sending my parents to an early grave.
That crawl space under said guest bedrooms IS where the previous owner "hid the bodies," and they're out for revenge.
A heavy rain with that extreme lack of functional gutters or drainage to the street will result in a sinkhole swallowing up the whole damn place, probably to another dimension.
The fact that a "Death: for all the world to see" album was sitting in the living room was neither a sign that hipsters currently lived there nor that it was carefully staged after reading my internet history, but in fact a winking warning that this was a Truman Horror Show style death house.

Black Barney wrote: that soup sounds awful but the lasagna sounds fantastic.

I'm perhaps underselling the Sopa de Mani, imagine something between a fresh chicken soup with mussuman curry. Carrots, peas, potatoes, yellow chili paste, peanuts boiled and ground into a paste, and chicken. We made a vegan one with tofu for a friend and it was also quite good. This was also like "date #3" food where we made it at my place and had white wine with it.

The Lasagna is a semi-homemade sauce (take canned tomato paste, sauce, and either diced or crushed tomatoes, some spices, NO SUGAR), noodles, and no fluffy cheese. Usually it's 2:1 Mozzarella to Extra Sharp Cheddar, which means 16 and 8 oz respectively for a single pan. It's my mom's recipe and about the only thing I knew how to make 3 years ago. Always a hit at potlucks.

Black Barney wrote: I'm around Montreal except between the 4th and 17th.

Okay, I see how it is. ;)

hope you post lots of updates to this thread on your trip. Can't wait to hear about it.

We'll see. We mostly want to just enjoy the moments. We got a polaroid-but-not-polaroid style camera recently to occasionally take memorable shots with. I think one each day and/or in each city we go to would be cool. I'm not big on overly sharing stuff like that on FB unless the kid says something I find particularly amusing.
Last edit: 10 May 2018 11:12 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
16 Aug 2018 11:17 - 16 Aug 2018 11:25 #279901 by Jexik
So I did end up going to Canada. It was great. Went to GenCon the day before and bought dino dunk, paperback, and a kingdomino expansion. I kind of wanna do a big write-up, discussing the merits of these games, the ramen in Toronto, the fish in Montreal, Tim Horton's, Niagara, and the metric system.

Dino, Dunkin', and Canuckin'
Last edit: 16 Aug 2018 11:25 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Black Barney

More
16 Aug 2018 13:17 #279914 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Canada!
Which ramen place did you hit? There’s a really good one near St Michaels Hospital. I can’t remember the name but I stop in anytime I’m visiting someone with a brain tumour lol

Tim Horton’s is crap
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
16 Aug 2018 13:31 - 16 Aug 2018 13:36 #279916 by Jexik

SaMoKo wrote: Which ramen place did you hit?

Santouka - been to one around here (in the Mitsuwa food court in... Schaumburg?). Wife wanted to see if it was the same up in Toronto, and it essentially was, although the Toronto one didn't have Natto. This place was close to a mall and on Dundas.

Tim Horton’s is crap

Yes.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2018 13:36 by Jexik.

More
16 Aug 2018 18:31 - 16 Aug 2018 18:33 #279938 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Canada!

Jexik wrote:

Tim Horton’s is crap

Yes.

That's like pissing on a beaver. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

I'm in Niagara right now. I'm stopping at the local Timmies two or three times a day so that I can honor my Canadian heritage.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2018 18:33 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Jexik

More
16 Aug 2018 20:39 #279947 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Canada!
Yeah Tims is great. It's not even going to make the top ten of best coffee in any city its in, but it's good and reliable and feels Canadian. I prefer it to Dunkin Donuts.

if the Oscars could make a category for most popular coffee, it would do well. It's coffee for the masses and we love it.

really glad you did your trip Jexik!

More
20 Aug 2018 21:13 #280092 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Canada!
I usually hit Tims twice a day despite being underwhelmed every time lol. No matter your feelings on the place, you likely go there regularly if Canadian. They’re everywhere
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney, Jexik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds