Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

TOPIC: GenCon Games I played, commentary.

GenCon Games I played, commentary. 05 Aug 2018 10:34 #279243

I despise GenCon, and lets start with that. There’s very few places to actually play games, and the con is really one giant press event/tournament venue/shopping mall.

Here’s what I saw and played and saw, but I will preface this by saying there wasn’t a lot of new, cool stuff I was interested in:

STARSHIP SAMURAI - fiddly but awesome fighting space game. Influence track based. Great models.

GEN7 - Really neat legacy style game about manning and maintaining a generation colony ship. Great theme, game isn’t my thing but I really think people will.

13 MINUTES - a microgame that tried and fails to emulate 13 Days. Horrible game.

SPORTS DICE: FOOTBALL - Really dumb dice game that I think can be fixed.

CRISS CROSS - Really dumb roll and write crossword type game with symbols and a couple of dice.

REMNANTS - Cool dice and card driven postapoc game. Was the one game I wanted to pick up.

CURIO - Puzzly game like escape games but that is replayable. VIRTUALLY themeless.

YELLOW AND YANGTZE - They made a Tigris and Euphrates with a Chinese setting. Really looks great. If I didn’t hate T&E it would be an autobuy.

DISTRICT 9 TBG - Incredible looking game. Must have, despite knowing I’ll never get to play it.

NEON GODS - Cool area control game with a cool alt-90’s vibe setting. Fighty as hell.

Pandemic Rising Tide - Really bad ass new Pandmeic version about global warming or something involving rising seas.

ARTEMIS PROJECT - Like Alien Frontiers mixed with Aquasphere. Million ways to score points.

Huge News:
ASCENDING EMPIRES IS GETTING A REVISED EDITION.

STONE AGE ANNIVERSARY EDITION releases in a couple of months, has great upgraded components. I’m going to preorder
  • SuperflyTNT
  • Harmless Potty-Mouth
  • SMH
  • Thank you received: 4580
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The administrator has disabled public write access.

GenCon Games I played, commentary. 05 Aug 2018 11:55 #279247

Thanks, Pete. I saw Starship Samurai in my FLGS on Friday. Didn't pay much attention because it seemed like just another Twilight Imperium-style game, but your note made go watch Vasel's review and there might be something there. Not a "run out and buy it" there, but something.

When you say District 9 was "incredible looking", is that "incredibly fun to play-looking" or just "incredibly well produced-looking"?
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja
  • Thank you received: 1372

GenCon Games I played, commentary. 05 Aug 2018 16:11 #279264

I think District 9 was both. Some DoaM fighting, territorial, resources, Events that impact gameplay as a timer mechanism. It was a juicy demo.

I like it a lot better than their robot fighting game.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Wiz-Warrior
  • Thank you received: 1516
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

GenCon Games I played, commentary. 05 Aug 2018 16:27 #279266

I regret never going and looking at District 9.

I demoed Starship Samurai at Origins. It's a fun, light area control game. Not as deep as my group generally goes. The mechs are cool.

I bought Street Masters... like all of Street Masters. Also got Zpocalypse 2 and its expansion for a deep discount. I've had my eye on it for a while, it looks like it has some stand-out elements. Met the designer, he was cool.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2288
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries

GenCon Games I played, commentary. 05 Aug 2018 22:36 #279285

Before I forget, the sleeper hit of the convention is the dexterity game Dino Dunk

It was literally the only game being played this weekend where people were howling with joy. I didn't find out about it until after the exhibit hall was closed though, so I leave without a copy. Man-baby tears.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Wiz-Warrior
  • Thank you received: 1516
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, WadeMonnig

GenCon Games I played, commentary. 06 Aug 2018 10:06 #279324

hotseatgames wrote:
I regret never going and looking at District 9.

I demoed Starship Samurai at Origins. It's a fun, light area control game. Not as deep as my group generally goes. The mechs are cool.

I bought Street Masters... like all of Street Masters. Also got Zpocalypse 2 and its expansion for a deep discount. I've had my eye on it for a while, it looks like it has some stand-out elements. Met the designer, he was cool.

FUUUUCK. I wish I’d have known. I’m one of the three people who thought Zpoc was the pinnacle of Zombie game design. When you get sick of it sell it to me :)
  • SuperflyTNT
  • Harmless Potty-Mouth
  • SMH
  • Thank you received: 4580
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

GenCon Games I played, commentary. 07 Aug 2018 21:51 #279457

Completely forgot that I demoed the new Death Note: Confrontation game. This is a 2 player game, with one player controlling Kira, and the other L.

It's also, I'm sorry to say, a glorified version of Battleship.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10

GenCon Games I played, commentary. 07 Aug 2018 22:38 #279458

Note to self: when I go to a convention, open a group chat with everyone I know at the convention.
  • cranberries
  • D10
  • Wait, are you sure?
  • Thank you received: 1528
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyTNT

GenCon Games I played, commentary. 08 Aug 2018 00:14 #279459

I think there's a slack channel for that...
  • Frohike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 712
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries

GenCon Games I played, commentary. 13 Aug 2018 00:25 #279635

hotseatgames wrote:
Completely forgot that I demoed the new Death Note: Confrontation game. This is a 2 player game, with one player controlling Kira, and the other L.

It's also, I'm sorry to say, a glorified version of Battleship.
Played this a couple of times today and didn't get that impression at all. Still feeling it out. Any other thoughts on it?
  • WadeMonnig
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 180

GenCon Games I played, commentary. 13 Aug 2018 06:05 #279638

Not really. From what I recall, you are guessing at approximate locations on a grid, and narrowing things down. Just like Battleship. Or if you want to get modern, a smaller-scale Captain Sonar. But Captain Sonar has the real time chaos going for it.

I'm basing all of this on spending about 8 minutes with the game.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig
Time to create page: 0.514 seconds