October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

WBC cancelled

More
09 May 2020 21:39 #310130 by Msample
WBC cancelled was created by Msample
Sad but not unexpected. My favorite week of the year.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/2425293/wbc-202...s-special-newsletter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2020 22:35 #310133 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic WBC cancelled
So this is canceled nearly three months in advance.

More
09 May 2020 23:24 #310136 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic WBC cancelled
Yes - the com was supposed to start 11 weeks from today. While it is no doubt a disappointment to many, to others its a relief - both on BGG and Facebook informal polls were conducted and while I didn't actually count, a fair number of people said that even if WBC were held, they would be unable/unwilling to attend. Many other large events have been cancelled in similar lead times. Hell Comic Con cancelled awhile back and that's what, early August ?

While I don't know the full details that went into the decision, I imagine some factors:

- the normal deadline for cancelling hotel reservations without penalty would be less than two weeks away.

- its possible the convention contract with the hotel mandates a decision by a certain point. While these are are certainly extraordinary circumstances, I could see this being an issue. While the hotel may want the business, if they can't get staff to work exposing themselves to say a thousand guests from all over the country.....

- I think even if the state is reopened by the original date, some sort of social distancing guidelines will still be in place. This makes gaming rather problematic . I don't think any organizer wants to deal with enforcing social distancing guidelines right now or mediate any sort of conflict between someone wearing a mask and someone who isn't/refuses to.

Logistically, who knows what restaurant service restrictions will be in place - if places are only allowed to serve at say 50% capacity, that makes serving large groups of guests somewhat problematic - esp since Seven Springs is somewhat isolated, there aren't any nearby options outside the resort. Hell, ANY hotel that used to offer a breakfast buffet is going to have to rethink how the serve breakfast for the foreseeable future.

It sucks but I can see why the decision was made. I am sure many informal gatherings will take place around the same time in small groups . A few have said they may travel to Seven Springs even w/o a con just to get away from it all, who knows. Within an hour of the cancellation I got a text from a buddy who is looking to have a long weekend invite only con where he lives . I think that sort of thing will only grow going forward.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Jackwraith

More
10 May 2020 12:28 #310147 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic WBC cancelled
In late March there were still people arguing over May events. I think the reality has sunk in more thoroughly at this point. "Normal" has changed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, n815e

More
10 May 2020 12:54 #310149 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic WBC cancelled
Yeah there are still a few die hards screaming in protest that big events should go on; they are shouting in the wind at this point. I suspect GenCon will make the call in the very near future as well.

More
10 May 2020 14:48 #310152 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic WBC cancelled
The real secret sauce is that at this point it doesn't really matter what the rules are. There are not going to be enough people willing to go to them regardless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, dysjunct, birdman37, n815e

More
10 May 2020 18:35 #310153 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic WBC cancelled
I cancelled my reservations for WBC the first week in March. Some folks thought I was overreacting. It doesn’t make me feel better to know I wasn’t.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
10 May 2020 21:35 - 10 May 2020 21:36 #310162 by engelstein
Replied by engelstein on topic WBC cancelled
I heard that Gencon will be making a call within a week. I expect they'll cancel as well. I don't think many of the exhibitors are enthused. I think it'll be challenging to get volunteers or even employees to work in the booths all day.
Last edit: 10 May 2020 21:36 by engelstein.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, cdennett

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds