October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

What my SECRET SATAN sent me!

More
28 Dec 2010 21:57 - 28 Dec 2010 21:58 #83131 by Dogmatix
Last edit: 28 Dec 2010 21:58 by Dogmatix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2010 04:49 #83145 by Ancient_of_MuMu
A large box arrived from my Secret Satan today, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I received the starter sets for 2 dead miniature games: AT-43 and Mutant Chronicles CMG, plus the FFG/Knizia game Maginor which I have never heard of. The only review of Maginor on BGG is by Matt Drake and he loves it, and it looks like a low interaction, high theme game that plays in an hour so it will very possibly be a big hit with me and my wife.

Also included was the Hunter S. Thompson book 'Songs of the Doomed', which will get read as I never read Thompson and would love to see what the fuss is all about. Finally all the random event/magic item/dirty trick/star player cards from a copy of Blood Bowl were dumped in the box. These are derided by many BB players but I love them, as it allows for all the zaniness that can be present in a game happen without overwhelming it. Not sure what I will do with them, but will probably find someone without them to donate to.

I just noticed something truly evil inside the package whether intentional or not. I opened up the AT-43 box and fell in love with the miniatures and wanted to find out more, but then I noticed there was no rulebook. I found it on BGG, so no problem at all.

More
30 Dec 2010 13:56 - 30 Dec 2010 17:06 #83229 by southernman
I knew it was probably too good to be true - Mr Lucifer has enlisted a helper to inflict proper torture just after I thought I was safe ... something arrived in the mail today that looks suspiciously like it has come straight from MooSatan.
More to follow ... although something wriiten on the outside of the box has got me really amazed .... something about prototype and space...

Note: MooSatan => Satan's Little Helper
Last edit: 30 Dec 2010 17:06 by southernman.

More
30 Dec 2010 14:37 #83233 by MattFantastic
My SS can eat a bag of dicks. I got not one, but two sets of Monopoly! Some weird book that I don't think I fully understand and the hair metal tween version of All4One on CD.

I did score a couple of sweet Star Wars Episode one collectors cups from Taco Bell. Fucking Ebay gold!

It wasn't worth the wait at all, jerk. If there was a return address I'd poop in a box and mail that back to you.

My only consolation is that I too was a dark hearted bastard and sent a bunch of equally wonderful garbage to my poor recipient. I have a feeling that next year is going to be out of control.

More
30 Dec 2010 14:52 - 30 Dec 2010 15:12 #83234 by Merkles
Satan finally got through! (it is all the way up to near 50 today---then down to -7 by tomorrow night...so this must have been his window of opportunity).

I got some wonderful turds from Satan! Wonderfully signed "Enjoy it in HELL, Love Satan"

Let's see what was so turdilicious...

First (and biggest) was a piece of crap I'd never heard of...Zobmondo!! Would you rather...? Twisted, sick and wrong. A politically incorrect party game that should make everyone in my neighborhood confirm their fears that I am evil.

Next, we had the cuter site of Satan...which at first I thought was a stuffed Cthulu doll, but it was Octopi! A stuffed octopus with games stuffed inside of him (Doubloon Dippity)!!!

Then Letter Hold 'Em --- a mix between poker and scrabble --- perfect for the homeschooling gamblers out there!

Fluxx (I've never played Fluxx...so I'm actually kinda intrigued to see what the stink is about)

Travel 20 Questions---actually could be useful with the kids.

But the crown jewel (and as Satan said, "at least the Star Wars is pretty cool) is a print and play AND SLEEVED copy of Star Wars themed For Sale. We actually love For Sale at our house...so this is pretty cool!!!

Thanks, Satan!!

I gotta say...I loved this! (Of course, working at a religious college and getting packages from Satan leads to some looks, but hey!) Far, far, FAR more fun than the one time I did Secret Santa at BGG. Perhaps b/c we're smaller...but it didn't really matter what I got...but the extra homemade touch and the desire to go the crappy last mile made me smile!
Last edit: 30 Dec 2010 15:12 by Merkles.

More
30 Dec 2010 15:56 - 30 Dec 2010 15:57 #83240 by Notahandle
ubarose wrote:
" The final box in the package is a horror beyond all description - Hedgehog's Revenge. The Spawn immediately claimed this ghastly abomination. She made us play it. It was a never ending nightmare of acrimonious rule arguments, off-key singing and feats of strength, plus no one could tell which pieces where theirs and which belonged to other players. And when I say never ending, I mean never ending."
You know, while BGi is still in beta you could all rush over and rate Hedgehog's Revenge a 10.
Think of the horror you'd inflict on TOSsers. :)
Last edit: 30 Dec 2010 15:57 by Notahandle.

More
30 Dec 2010 16:11 #83242 by Juniper
Notahandle wrote:

ubarose wrote:
" The final box in the package is a horror beyond all description - Hedgehog's Revenge. The Spawn immediately claimed this ghastly abomination. She made us play it. It was a never ending nightmare of acrimonious rule arguments, off-key singing and feats of strength, plus no one could tell which pieces where theirs and which belonged to other players. And when I say never ending, I mean never ending."
You know, while BGi is still in beta you could all rush over and rate Hedgehog's Revenge a 10.
Think of the horror you'd inflict on TOSsers. :)

It's not a game about Ron Jeremy, then?

More
30 Dec 2010 17:12 #83252 by Notahandle
I think you may have just had a good idea for an innovative drunken party game - "forfeits like no other!" - though perhaps it's been played before, just without any formal rules...

More
31 Dec 2010 06:38 #83264 by jur
Dear alledged Secret Satan,

Either you don't get the spirit of Sithmas, or I don't. While I sent you the most miserly and ugly game in my possession, you have turned the cheek on me by presenting me with the lauded World Cup Game, so I can relive the glorious weeks of June and July when our national squad set aside other hopefuls like Brazil.

On top of that you sent me Hungry Hippos in Danish, so I can polish up my language skills (tak) and a very useful dvd with practical tips on household chores, also in Danish. Makes me wonder whether you can actually look into my kitchen.

The dvd host a picture of John Goodman, a 2 hour original soundtrack(!), all without raising a finger! I couldn't be happier. I've been stroking it all morning.

It's been 10 years since I learned to read Danish, so it's a bit rusty, and I never got the hang of the pronunciation. This will be a great help.

So grudgingly: thanks kind-assed Satan!

More
03 Jan 2011 06:36 #83384 by mads b.
Jur wrote:

Dear alledged Secret Satan,

Either you don't get the spirit of Sithmas, or I don't. While I sent you the most miserly and ugly game in my possession, you have turned the cheek on me by presenting me with the lauded World Cup Game, so I can relive the glorious weeks of June and July when our national squad set aside other hopefuls like Brazil.

On top of that you sent me Hungry Hippos in Danish, so I can polish up my language skills (tak) and a very useful dvd with practical tips on household chores, also in Danish. Makes me wonder whether you can actually look into my kitchen.

The dvd host a picture of John Goodman, a 2 hour original soundtrack(!), all without raising a finger! I couldn't be happier. I've been stroking it all morning.

It's been 10 years since I learned to read Danish, so it's a bit rusty, and I never got the hang of the pronunciation. This will be a great help.

So grudgingly: thanks kind-assed Satan!

Great. I get the only person who'd be able to understand the Danish crap I sent. Just fucking great. That just makes me feel even worse about throwing in the World Cup Card Game as a consolation gift. But why on earth did you learn to read an almost useless language in the first place?

Anyways, hope you lose everytime you play Hungry Hungry Hippos or that your dog/cat/child/pet lizard chokes in the little plastic balls from it.

mads

More
03 Jan 2011 07:11 - 03 Jan 2011 07:17 #83385 by jur
I started a PhD on agricultural associations in the late 19th and early 20th century in the Netherlands, Denmark and Germany, so I decided I could use some knowledge of the local language. And while reading is easy, speaking and listening are a nightmare.

So I have a reasonable knowledge of agricultural terms (very useful!) and Danish politics of the age, as well as good memories of Copenhagen and Arhus (and surroundings).

Just to make you feel better, you'll probably understand the game I sent you to make up for Superdeck. Man, I'm still laughing!
Last edit: 03 Jan 2011 07:17 by jur.

More
03 Jan 2011 07:39 #83387 by Notahandle
mads: You should have sent him a Danish copy of Agricola!

More
03 Jan 2011 08:19 #83390 by mads b.
Notahandle wrote:

mads: You should have sent him a Danish copy of Agricola!

Easy now. Sending someone a copy of Agricola is just downright nasty.

More
03 Jan 2011 08:33 #83391 by mads b.
Jur wrote:

I started a PhD on agricultural associations in the late 19th and early 20th century in the Netherlands, Denmark and Germany, so I decided I could use some knowledge of the local language. And while reading is easy, speaking and listening are a nightmare.

So I have a reasonable knowledge of agricultural terms (very useful!) and Danish politics of the age, as well as good memories of Copenhagen and Arhus (and surroundings).

Just to make you feel better, you'll probably understand the game I sent you to make up for Superdeck. Man, I'm still laughing!

Yeah, Danish pronounciation is a bitch. But Copenhagen is still a cool place and do shout if you're ever back in town. Then you can bring your own Super Deck deck (?) and we can duke it out.

More
03 Jan 2011 08:50 #83392 by southernman
Jur wrote:

... presenting me with the lauded World Cup Game, so I can relive the glorious weeks of June and July when our national squad set aside hospitalised or crippled other hopefuls like Brazil.

Fixed that for you.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds