October 09, 2023
2506 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2705 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

What my SECRET SATAN sent me!

More
25 Dec 2010 13:23 - 25 Dec 2010 13:24 #82975 by Chapel
moofrank wrote:

I got a box of some pretty awful games. Except for the burst of psychotic niceness in a copy of High Frontier.
This might be balanced by a copy of Man Bites Dog. Reading the rules tells me that this might be close to one of the worst games ever made.

Oddly enough, the return address is one of the addresses I sent stuff to. And I wasn't quite so nice. (There is actually a pretty good game in the boxes I sent out. Finding it might be a little tricky.)

Hopefully Satan was able to score a couple of games you "don't" have...if so Barnes said ISatan wins +500 bonus points. ;)

P.S. My Satan scores in two games I don't think anyone has ever seen....ever. I know I hadn't :)
Last edit: 25 Dec 2010 13:24 by Chapel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2010 13:25 #82976 by Chapel
moofrank wrote:

copy of High Frontier.

A slightly dented copy of High Frontier....BWAHAHAHAH! Evil.

More
25 Dec 2010 13:55 #82978 by Cranberries
I got some great gifts from Will DeMorris, although Loot and Scoot said "The Ombrys"

I love small publisher games and these are both going to be hits. My gaming buddy/11-year-old is already pestering me to play Loot and Scoot and I think my group will really like Homesteaders. I was afraid to open these in front of the family but fortunately Busen Memo didn't fall out!

More
25 Dec 2010 15:00 #82980 by Jazzbeaux
Well I must have been really good, or really bad depending on my Santa/Satan because I got A Victory Denied (MMP game). Have never played an MMP game before, and this looks very good - gives me flashbacks to old Spectrum computer games!

Thank you who ever you are!

Sam (Jazzbeaux)

More
25 Dec 2010 15:53 #82982 by dan daly
I got a copy of COUP from Steve Jackson games.

I'd never heard of this game before. A quick perusal of the few reviews on TOS reveals comments like:

Yes I know this game was advertised as a 'Beer & Pretzels' game, but even drinking 2 pitchers of beer won't make you like this game more. Trust me.

and

Coup went out of print quickly and copies are not sought after energetically.

This game looks awesome! Seriously, the box art is great and it looks like a fun little down and dirty wargame with ample opportunity for bad 3rd world dictator accents to be used. I'll have to read over the rules and get it on the table this week.

Thank you!

This was a lot of fun, and I'm already plotting out next year's delivery.

More
25 Dec 2010 17:30 #82986 by ubarose
Bulwyf wrote:

My Secret Satan is a cheecky bastard. I got a copy of HellRail which my wife has played before and looks interested in. A cheesy Wolf motif t-shit. The kind you see the proffesional FLGS urchins wear. And a copy of Splashy the Whale. I wonder if you can put cheap Tequila in Splashy and turn it into a sordid drinking game. Thanks Secret Satan!

-Will

According to the rules of Secret Satan, articles of clothing require that pictures of receiver modeling the item be posted. Pictures of getting squirted with Tequila are optional, but appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
25 Dec 2010 19:28 #82991 by moofrank
The box was ever so slightly dented. If I were a proper OCD person that would have been just completely evil.

My Satan did get AT LEAST +2000 points, however. I already had copies of HF and Gloom. (Sandi likes Gloom. And the art just sells it for me.)
The other 4 games, I do not have. The real winner, however, is Beetlez. A game I have never heard of. I think that is something like +2million points.

More
25 Dec 2010 23:29 #83006 by Michael Barnes
F:AT has let me down.

I expected to come into this thread and read comments like:

"Who the fuck sent me this game? If I find out who you are, I'mma shit in your Cheerios!"

"Opened box, FUCKING REEF ENCOUNTER, threw box and game in Christmas trash"

"This will be my last post at F:AT."

I wanted to sow discord and animosity amongst you all to weaken your morale for my inevitable 2011 takeover.

Instead I come in here and people are getting things like freaking DUNGEONQUEST, A VICTORY DENIED, and GAMMARAUDERS.

And then Chapel and Frank suggest that maybe I set them up and fudged the sophisticated random matching process...I can't BELIEVE Chap managed to send something Frank never heard of.

Anyway, regardless of how disappointed I am that fewer people did not given into temptation and use this as an opportunity to use another F:ATtie as a dumping grounds for ill-favored games, I'm glad you guys had fun with it and I'm happy to see that some really great stuff changed hands. If you haven't reported in, let's hear it.

Bulwyf, please produce a photograph per Shellie's request. It is, in fact, the rules. I would show you the rulebook, but I live too far away from you.

Loter, your Secret Satan PMed me, he said "Tell Loter to bite my hell-fried wanger, his shit ain't coming until after Christmas". It is not SuperflyTNT.'

I actually kind of regret recusing myself from participation...I mean, if y'all are getting GOOD stuff...

More
26 Dec 2010 00:00 #83007 by Hatchling
Michael Barnes wrote:

Loter, your Secret Satan PMed me, he said "Tell Loter to bite my hell-fried wanger, his shit ain't coming until after Christmas".

Loter's Secret Satan sounds like...Loter!! Double-burn!

More
26 Dec 2010 14:23 - 26 Dec 2010 19:38 #83025 by ubarose
My not-so-secret-Satan is truly evil. I always suspected that he was slightly twisted, but this package confirmed that he is beyond twisted. He is a very, very bad man.

First off, and this isn’t Satan’s doing, as I walked into my home, before I had even fully removed my coat, the Spawn ambushed me and excitedly announced that I had a package from Norcross. In my world, NORCROSS is the name of big honking mainframe computer. So, of course the most reasonable thought to immediately go through my mind is, “Why is a mainframe sending me packages?”

I hadn’t so much as moment to shake off the creepiness of this thought, before the Spawn shoved a box in my already full hands. I made my way down the dark, narrow hall, my coat half off, slipping down my shoulder, my purse slipping down the other, shopping bags swinging from my elbows, awkwardly holding the box, with the Spawn bouncing behind me yelling, “Can I open it? Mom, are you going to open it? Can I open it? When are we going to open it? Mom! Mom?”

When I finally reached the kitchen, and was able to put down my load, I examined the box more closely. I was initially relieved to see that it wasn’t sent from NORCROSS the mad mainframe. It was, instead, sent from a member of F:AT. This confused and worried me. Had I bought or traded games and forgotten about it?

The Man suddenly appeared behind me, and whispered in my ear as he finished removing my coat, “I think it’s from Satan.”

"It's supposed to be SECRET Satan. This has a return address on it," I pointed out, "Although, Satan could have put someone else's return address on it, so he wouldn't get blamed if it explodes and shoots pudding all over the walls."

“It’s not from Satan,” scoffed the Spawn, “Satan’s not real. And there aren’t even post offices in Hell.”

“Honey,” I told her, “the post office is Hell. Hell used to be the train station in East Berlin, but it relocated back before you were born."

"Pleeeeeeeeeease. Can we open it."

"Okay. You can open it, but if it's full of pudding, you're cleaning the mess."

The Spawn was suddenly less enthusiastic about opening the suspicious package, but her curiosity soon over came her desire to avoid the possibility of cleaning pudding off the walls. She cautiously approached the package with a large scissors and cut away the packing tape, while the Man and I stood at a safe distance.

The box flaps flipped open. On top was a manila envelope, with a carefully printed catalog label in the corner, removing all doubt as to the sender. This box was indeed from MooFrank.

The envelope did not contain pudding. It was Nightmare House by David Marshall, a small package of psychological torture. Nightmare House looks really cool, and sounds really cool, but in the words of Frank himself, contains "8 pages of the densest and nastiest rules I've ever faced. Interesting ideas but nearly unplayable in practice." The theme and concepts, however, are so enticing that of course I will waste hours trying to figure out these rules, muttering cursing and complaining, until I myself am convinced the game is unplayable. Those will be hours of my life that I will never get back. Curse you MooSatan!

Underneath this envelope was a box with a cool picture of a space ship. The man immediately grabbed it, opened it and declared that it was the coolest game he had ever seen. It was Solar Trader and had amazing little bits, plus spaceships, and fun artwork. Of course the Man learned the rules and made us all play the next day. Solar Trader is Candyland Merchant of Venus. Complete with spaces that make you roll again, go back three spaces, or lose TWO turns and come shooting out in some other far flung location. If I were 12 years old I probably would have adored this game. As an adult all I can say is that is three hours of my life I will never get back. The nightmare of it, is the Man wants to play again, because he is convinced he can tweak the rules a bit to make the game as cool as the bits. I say why don't we just play Merchant of Venus. He says Merchant of Venus has math and doesn't have a pack of cigarettes bit. *sigh* Curse you MooSatan!

The final box in the package is a horror beyond all description - Hedgehog's Revenge. The Spawn immediately claimed this ghastly abomination. She made us play it. It was a never ending nightmare of acrimonious rule arguments, off-key singing and feats of strength, plus no one could tell which pieces where theirs and which belonged to other players. And when I say never ending, I mean never ending. We packed it up after a could of hours. The Spawn claims it will be fun to play without boring grown-ups, so I gave her my permission and blessing to take it to school and told her that she could even store it in her locker. So there's another couple of hours of my life I will never get back. Curse you MooSatan!

Although, as I write this, the Spawn is setting up Mumbo Jumbo for us to play, a gift to her from a different F:AT friend. Solar Trader suddenly doesn't seem so bad.
Last edit: 26 Dec 2010 19:38 by ubarose.

More
26 Dec 2010 14:35 #83026 by southernman
MooFrank better keep his Cheerios bowl well protected.

More
26 Dec 2010 15:28 #83028 by Dogmatix
I almost spent $50 on a copy of Nightmare House based on the description alone. It certainly sounded like it would be an interesting game. Thanks for the warning...

More
26 Dec 2010 19:24 #83032 by iguanaDitty
Dogmatix wrote:

I almost spent $50 on a copy of Nightmare House based on the description alone. It certainly sounded like it would be an interesting game. Thanks for the warning...

subtract "almost". Maybe this will be a feature game of the next epic uba/ditty meeting.

More
26 Dec 2010 20:45 #83034 by Dogmatix
iguanaDitty wrote:

Dogmatix wrote:

subtract "almost". Maybe this will be a feature game of the next epic uba/ditty meeting.

Hah. You played it yet?

More
26 Dec 2010 22:09 #83036 by SuperflyPete
After turning us onto that "Fuck You If You Don't Like Christmas" song, which I ripped and played at 130 Db in the Wal-Mart parking lot this morning, I have nothing but respect and admiration for the man.

I would certainly never tell him to "bite my hell-fried wanger", nor would I presume to know when he is slated for a bowel movement, be it before or after Christmas.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.355 seconds