October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2651 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Kickstarter News

More
17 Aug 2013 18:05 - 17 Aug 2013 18:09 #158795 by ubarose
Kickstarter News was created by ubarose
The Kickstarter Paradox
  1. Our members do not take kindly to people who register on The Fort for the sole purpose of shilling their games. They particularly dislike posts or blogs started by someone with a recent join date and single digit post counts regarding Kickstarter campaigns . The fastest way to alienate our readership and have abuse heaped upon you and your project is to attempt to promote your game or project without establishing some cred on The Fort. Although our readers (and who are we kidding, our staff as well) often find reading pages, upon pages of abuse amusing, the original poster usually does not. You have been warned.
  2. Most Kickstarter campaigns are not considered news worthy, and press releases for them will not be published except under very special circumstances, such as a Kickstarter for a long out of print grail game of particular interest to our readers.
  3. Some of our readers do like to know about interesting Kickstarters.
  4. One of the Fortress's missions is to support small publishers individual designers who are publishing or working on games of interest to our our readers.
  5. There are like a bazillion Kickstarter Campaigns, and if we allowed individual threads, press releases and game entries for all of them, our site would soon become over run by Kickstarter.

Therefore we offer individuals and publishers who wish to inform our readership of Kickstarter campaigns the following options.

1. We have special advertising rates for Kickstarters. For just $10 we will run your banner ad for one month. As Martin Wallace said when he was Kickstarting Moongha Invaders, at that price, it would be stupid not to run an ad on the Fort. You can set up your advertising campaign here: Advertise on the Fort
  2. If you are an established member who has enough confidence in a Kickstarter to back it, you are invited to post about it in What Kickstarters Are You Backing and Why?
  3. We have a Designers' Blog section. Designers are invited to blog about their design process in this section. Please be aware that our readers expect to see content regarding the design process in this section. Entries that read like advertisements or press releases are ill advised. We recommend that designers make use of this blog well before their publishing date or before launching a Kickstarter to avoid the appearance of spamming The Fort with stealth advertisement. At the very least, make your entries interesting to read.
  4. Readers who find an interesting Kickstarter that they are not personally backing, and individuals who have started their own Kickstarter campaigns my reply to this thread with information regarding the campaign, provided it of sufficient interest to our readership. It is expected that individuals will have the courtesy to have spent enough time reading and/or contributing to The Fort to know what is of interest and what is not.
  5. Finally, the staff expects that people who reply in this thread will have taken enough time to have read all the above AND to have uploaded an avatar to their account. Not having an avatar is a red flag to our moderators that the post was made by a spammer and they may delete replies without an avatar.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2013 18:09 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2013 05:09 #162725 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Kickstarter News
Bobby Lee by Colombia Games

Replay and study the campaigns and battles of Robert E. Lee in the American Civil War, 1861-65.

October 7 - Nov 11

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/columbiagames/bobby-lee

More
09 Oct 2013 17:31 - 09 Oct 2013 17:33 #162743 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Kickstarter News
PANDANTE from Sirlin Games got started recently.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/pandante

October 8 to Nov 7, 2013.

I know he gets folks all hot and bothered, but his games are of excellent quality. I am underwhelmed by anything above the "Buy the game" tier ($35) here though. Another $5 gets you--ready? Three poker chips.

Ok.

Jump up to $60 for those poker chips -and- a poster of a game you haven't played. Uh, sweet?

The next tier I would consider is the one with the legit poker chip set--the chips look nice and the box looks well made, and it's $300. Holy FUCK. No thanks.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2013 17:33 by jeb.

More
09 Oct 2013 18:34 #162746 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Kickstarter News
Wow, a bunch of silly memes...looks absolutely unappealing on every level.

More
09 Oct 2013 19:39 #162750 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Kickstarter News
I'm a big fan of Columbia Games. I like their titles and how they run their ship.

With that, I can't for the life of me understand why they're kickstarting these older titles. Don't get me wrong Napoleon is great and I understand Bobby Lee is as well (haven't played it), but these titles are already in print and play fine as is. That's one of the things I like about Columbia...games always in print with some for almost 40 years.

A few months back they put up a poll on their site of what games they should develop next. The results are posted as well. Some neat looking titles. However, they seem to be totally ignoring that poll and just kickstarting existing, in-print games.

I don't get it....

More
09 Oct 2013 19:44 #162752 by Bull Nakano
Replied by Bull Nakano on topic Re: Kickstarter News
The game sounds interesting, but $35 for a poker variant (particularly an unreviewable one) is at least twice as much as it should cost. I like sirlin though and hope its good. I smell a future fat goty

More
09 Oct 2013 19:58 - 09 Oct 2013 19:58 #162753 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Re: Kickstarter News

With that, I can't for the life of me understand why they're kickstarting these older titles.

Doesn't this Columbia kickstarter do sort of the same thing as the GMT P500 thing with a known product? They get to make a few bucks and make a few more customers happy, with little downside.

I sprung for the Valley Games P500-ish Die Macher and Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage under that sort of scheme, and was reasonably happy. The Die Macher graphics sucked ass, but the RvC was okay. Granted, this was before Valley Games started ripping people off.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2013 19:58 by RobertB.

More
09 Oct 2013 20:03 #162754 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Kickstarter News
www.kickstarter.com/projects/1895563242/...rog-aaa-level-mmorpg

Tell me this isn't the single most retarded KS ever.

More
09 Oct 2013 20:36 #162755 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Re: Kickstarter News

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1895563242/...rog-aaa-level-mmorpg

Less than $1M for an AAA MMORPG - how could it go wrong?

I'm tempted to spring for the digital version, so that when the whole thing goes tits-up I can laugh about it with a clear conscience.

/not really that tempted

More
09 Oct 2013 20:46 #162756 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Kickstarter News

SuperflyTNT wrote: www.kickstarter.com/projects/1895563242/...rog-aaa-level-mmorpg

"PC World" - get it?

More
09 Oct 2013 21:14 #162758 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Kickstarter News
No, I don't. Is this the one with the ads touting a "MALE PLAYERS ONLY" game or something like that?

It looks like they're sticking an Oculus Rift in the $250 level, which has got to be the only reason this has sold at all..from stupid people who probably don't realize that they're not saying you'll get one early or at a discount.

More
09 Oct 2013 23:34 #162765 by luckyb0y
Replied by luckyb0y on topic Re: Kickstarter News
If it's a scam these might just be the dumbest scammers ever. No way in hell this is going to get funded. There's plenty of naive dreamers/nutjobs doing kickstarters now. Fortunately none (?) of them get funded.

More
10 Oct 2013 13:28 #162796 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Re: Kickstarter News
I'm betting they're counting on people getting outraged at the sexism and then the Fedora Brigade swooping in to fund it in solidarity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!

More
10 Oct 2013 17:44 #162827 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Re: Kickstarter News

Schweig! wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: www.kickstarter.com/projects/1895563242/...rog-aaa-level-mmorpg

"PC World" - get it?

...actually I don't.

*vomit*

More
11 Oct 2013 00:32 #162864 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: Kickstarter News

SuperflyTNT wrote: This is not "that ad". It's a KS scam deal. I'd be 100% surprised if anyone gets anything but a thank you note and a puff of dust as the game owners flee to India.

But enough about that.

THIS MUST BE PURCHASED.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/...-the-miniatures-game

How this isn't being talked about as if the place was on fire, I'll never know. This is so awesome. My problem is that I'm flat broke, thanks to Repo and his damned "Oh, Attack Wing is really good" and "it's has a Trek feel" commentary. Bastard cost me 200$.

Hey Pete, this is done (game design) by the same guy who did Deadzone. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds