October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What BOARD GAMES are you TRADING?

More
16 Mar 2020 11:18 - 16 Mar 2020 11:25 #308121 by Ah_Pook
Theres a company in Charlotte, NC that does bulk trades. Theyre called Boardgameco. They will basically take all your junk and trade you some stufff you actually want, but you have to trade them more value than they send you for the convenience factor. Its an interesting business model, let down by them apparently not inventorying anything. So its a gamble what condition/completeness things you get from them are in, to the point that I don't know if I would trade with them again. That said, I did a giant trade with them a few weeks ago.

out: just a crapton of stuff (including Pax Pamir 2e, Forbidden Stars, some other stuff)

in:
Bruges
Cyclades
Dungeonquest: Catacombs
Dungeonquest: Heroes For Dungeonquest (missing the minis)
Favor of the Pharaoh
Fields of Arle + Tea and Trade + Advent Calendar promo
Galaxy Trucker: Another Big Expansion
Gugong
Le Havre
Piñata
Railroad Ink: Blazing Red Edition
Trains+ Rising Sun + Coastal Tides + both map packs
Viticulture (1st edition) + expansion
YINSH

So yea... I honestly don't know that I would recommend it especially if you arent nearby enough to do a local pickup (the shipping on the like 30 games I sent them would have been nuts). But I do have a ton of new shit and a ton less old shit.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2020 11:25 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2020 11:32 #308124 by Jackwraith
Most of my major trades in the past year+ have been with Boardgameco. I've never had a problem with their inventory. Everything I've gotten from them (and there have been instances where they shipped me 7 or 8 games) has been complete and in good shape. Did you get something that was missing parts?

For people that are out of their area, they have a shipping discount with FedEx that they give you access to. Their business model is basically to try to get out-of-print or scarce stuff and auction it for revenue. In your case, Pax Pamir and Forbidden Stars were probably their main draws.

Looks like you went Euro-heavy. You should like Cyclades as long as you don't think of it as a typical DoaM. The auction aspect (bidding for the gods and, occasionally, timing the monsters) is actually the key part.

More
16 Mar 2020 12:20 #308127 by barrowdown
I have traded with BoardGameCo several times and every order was missing at least one key component from a game (Gloomhaven was missing map boards, Kemet: Seth was missing Seth's board, etc.). However, it was satisfactorily resolved every time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, n815e

More
16 Mar 2020 12:27 - 16 Mar 2020 12:34 #308128 by n815e
I traded once with Boardgameco for new games and it was fine.

I traded again for a game listed as “like new” and it was a taped up box filled with broken pieces, split board, stickers all over everything (because it was one of the games he rented out to people).
His solution was to offer to trade back for it, which meant my original trade was further devalued and I had to pay shipping again.

From now on, if I want to trade in bulk I trade with Noble Knight. You still get lowballed on value (like Boardgameco does) but you get much better customer service — and they pay for you to ship your games to them.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2020 12:34 by n815e.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
16 Mar 2020 14:29 #308135 by Ah_Pook

Jackwraith wrote: Did you get something that was missing parts?

Heroes for Dungeonquest was incorrectly listed and didn't show it was missing the minis, the Viticulture expansion is missing all the player board extensions, and Bruges is missing one of the player pawns. Also I traded with them once before for complete Arkham Horror 2e which was missing an entire small box expansion. They literally don't inventory stuff, it's just a die roll whether you get good condition complete stuff or garbage condition incomplete stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, n815e

More
16 Mar 2020 14:38 #308136 by Jackwraith
Wow. That's crazy. The communications I've had with the owner stressed that all expansions be separated into their own bags/boxes before I shipped BECAUSE they inventory everything and it was much easier for his small staff to verify stuff that way. If you look back through this thread, most of the "pile o'games going out/pile o'games coming in" trades that I've done have been with Boardgameco and I didn't have a single problem with them; everything present and accounted for. He even emailed me on one of them to confirm the way I'd packed things (I sent doubles and triples of X-Wing ships together) so that his staff would know what to look for (multiples of particular tokens, etc.)

More
16 Mar 2020 14:51 #308138 by barrowdown
I’ve never had anything where I have received something in worse condition than I expected. But I agree they are probably not doing thorough inventory, on the opposite end of my personal experience when I traded for Blood Rage, the copy was painted to a high standard, included Battlefoam storage, and all expansions. That seems like it would have been pretty obvious from a cursory check.

More
16 Mar 2020 14:56 #308139 by Jackwraith
Definitely. Not that it's any excuse, but they did go through an expansion a few months ago and move their warehouse, so there may have been some consequent chaos. Like your Battle Rage experience, I also had a slight bonus in my last trade. My copy of Vast came with the nice, printed bags for all of the various factions that someone on Etsy or Broken Token had made. No mention of that in the description.

More
06 Apr 2020 10:41 #308949 by Jackwraith
Going out: Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition
Twilight Imperium Shattered Empire
Twilight Imperium Shards of the Throne
Starship Samurai

Coming in: Amun-Re
Chimera Station
Triumph of Chaos
Lovecraft Letter
Neuroshima Convoy

It was time for TI3 to go. We had some great times with it, but if I was ever going to set up a game with people willing to sit for 8 hours with one thing, it was going to be something like Here I Stand. Even two expansions in, I still didn't like the way the political system in TI3 functioned. I loved the representatives in Shards and we had pruned out a lot of weird/not viable cards from the Political deck, but it still often felt forced and uninteresting, which is strange for a game ostensibly based on conquest, diplomacy, and trade. I have heard/read some things that indicate that the system in TI4 is much better, so if I ever get around to trading for that, maybe I'll see if it works for me. Starship Samurai was interesting, but it felt like it was a couple development cycles short of being the game that they intended it to be.

Wade and I are mulling over a Knizia article at the moment and I haven't played Amun-Re in forever. I'd been interested in Chimera Station for a while and this was as good a moment as ever. Triumph of Chaos supposedly has some systemic issues, but I'll try anything that involves the Russian revolution. I've never been particularly interested in Love Letter, but add in the possibility of the Old Ones and going insane and I'm all about it. Convoy is just the latest in my quest to acquire everything Neuroshima. A regular two-player partner has recently (pre-COVID-19. Sigh...) resurfaced, so I figured it would get some playing time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, WadeMonnig

More
17 Apr 2020 16:50 - 17 Apr 2020 21:05 #309353 by Jackwraith
Was about to make a grocery run this morning and had something to put in the mail, too. While eating something quickly, I sat down to read various emails. One of them was a trade offer on BGG, which I quickly accepted, dropped into a box, and shipped about 10 minutes later.

Going out: Big Trouble in Little China - deluxe edition

Coming in: DRCongo
A Most Dangerous Time: Japan in Chaos, 1570-1584
Firefly: Fruity Oaty Bar
Chimera Station promo

I liked BTiLC, in general. I'm not a hardcore fan of the movie, but it's a lot of fun and you can see all of the participants were totally on board with just making it as wacky a ride as possible. I LOVED the minis included in the game. That, by far, was the best part of it. But it's a co-op, which I generally don't like. And the setup time is horrendous. So many quests and tokens and things. Think Arkham Horror, 2nd Ed, completely maxed out setup and you'll have some idea. Plus, the regular game mode felt daunting, until you realized how easy the end was. But ramping up the difficulty turned it into a player slaughterfest. I think it was a great attempt to bring the movie to a game, but it didn't truly work.

I've been looking to trade for the two wargames for a long time. Tossing in the extras was just a nice gesture on his part. However, once again, more games coming than going out...
Last edit: 17 Apr 2020 21:05 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, n815e

More
17 Apr 2020 18:55 #309355 by charlest
I really like the Big Trouble board game, but DRCongo is excellent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
17 Apr 2020 19:40 - 18 Apr 2020 10:49 #309357 by Sagrilarus

Jackwraith wrote: A Most Dangerous Times: Japan in Chaos, 1570-1584

Nakamura. Nice pickup!
Last edit: 18 Apr 2020 10:49 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
17 Apr 2020 19:53 #309358 by Msample
I’ve been curious about DRCongo.

I didn’t find the BTiLC setup that onerous and I thought the theme was integrated very well. The first board felt rushed and very hard to level up before you get to the boss fight. Need to revisit.

More
17 Apr 2020 21:13 #309359 by Jackwraith
No, I liked it. It's not a bad game. It's just not a "Let's play that again!" kind of game. Once is an experience, especially if you're a fan of the film, but that's about as far as it goes. Looking at the towering shelf for something to play would've left it far, far down the list. Not being a fan of co-ops, if someone wanted to play one, I'd instantly suggest Spirit Island, which sets up in a shorter time and doesn't have so many moving parts to keep track of. Tiny Epic Defenders is similar. I dunno. Every time I played Big Trouble, I wanted to just revel in the weirdness, but there always seemed to be so many "game" elements to deal with that I just couldn't. In a lot of ways, it was like Descent, 1st Ed. You wanted it to be a group of adventurers in a dungeon, but instead it was more like an exercise of numbers with tasks that had to be solved, on a clock. If I want that kind of dungeon crawl game, I think i'm better off sticking with The Others or TMNT.

The minis are so well done in Big Trouble, though. That's my one regret.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, DarthJoJo

More
18 Apr 2020 10:58 #309364 by n815e
DRCongo is a good one and I sometimes regret trading it away as part of my collection thinning.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds