October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What BOARD GAMES are you TRADING?

More
12 Jul 2022 18:15 #334190 by Jackwraith
The player shields were the one aspect that still looked like it had just come from the store in the 70s. They still had some of their gloss to them. But the battle wheels and cards were yellowing and the board had a couple small scuffs on it and some of the army tokens were splitting and on and on. I just prefer using the new one, not only because it's easier for newbies to pick up, but also because it's just nicer to have on the table. So, some regret from nostalgia (Dune) and because the game is cool (Conan, Heroes) but overall it was just time to move on. I'm really geeked to get Age of Conan back on the table in a couple weeks and see if it's as cool as I remember it being. It may still just be me who thinks so, but I'm fine with that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2022 13:57 #334206 by southernman

Jackwraith wrote: Going out:
Dune
Conan
Heroes of Terrinoth

Coming in:
Fief plus expansions
Age of Conan plus expansion
Conspiracy: Abyss universe

... Well, because I actually really liked Age of Conan when I first owned it, years ago. It's a solid DoaM and I was tickled by all the little references in the cards and gameplay to the original Howard stories. The problem is that no one else I regularly played with had read them, so to them it was just another DoaM. But I'm willing to try to make that pitch to the new groups I now play with and, like Fief, this comes with an expansion that I didn't even know existed.

Age of Conan is a quite cleaver DoaM game, fighting but a little bit of euro in its scoring. The expansion changes the game quite a lot, making the stages of Conan's life more of an influence on the game, and the new story mode is better. Different magic is also pretty cool - I can't remember all the extra bits it brings, plus also can't guarantee what I have mentioned is included as I have the KS edition of the expansion that included some more great little changes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
13 Jul 2022 20:53 #334215 by dysjunct

southernman wrote: Age of Conan is a quite cleaver DoaM game

An appropriate Freudian slip, given how much Conan cleaves people, and also the amount of cleavage on his love interests.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Cranberries, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
24 Jul 2022 13:38 - 24 Jul 2022 13:41 #334446 by Ah_Pook
Out: Yangtze
Whale Riders

In: Galaxy Trucker (new version)
Guild of Merchant Explorers
Libertalia Winds of Galecrest

Yangtze is a great recent (ish) Knizia game that was never released in the US. It's kind of a mashup of Medici and Ra with some other stuff thrown in. You do auctions to do set collection, but the economy is really tight so to stay liquid to participate in the auctions you have sell sets before you would want to, or take loans or stuff like that. I really like it I just could never ever get it to the table, since it was an unknown title that looked like a brown game from 2001. Whale Riders is a recent family weight Knizia that was the definition of okay. I enjoyed it fine, but it's OOP now and a guy made me a great offer for it so out it goes.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2022 13:41 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, DarthJoJo

More
30 Aug 2022 16:04 #335320 by jpat
Out: Pericles (GMT), Time of Crisis + expansion
In: Inis + expansion, Ark Nova

I've played ToC once solo and once two player (neither being the ideal count), and it just kind of fell flat for me. Pericles I was long interested in trying, but the idea of teaching it, even with its programmed learning, just was too much.

Out: Islebound
In: Trajan

I like to look at Lukat games, but I haven't found one yet that I've really liked (from among Above and Below, Islebound, and Empires of the Void II). On the other hand, I do like Castles of Burgundy and Bora Bora.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, sornars, WadeMonnig, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
20 Sep 2022 11:00 #335666 by lj1983
Out: Wilderness War
In: One Deck Dungeon (+ expansions)

Wilderness War is a game is sought in trade for years. Finally traded for it and promptly let it sit on my shelf for three years and a move across the country. To many two player games. At least ODD is something that may intrigue the kids

Out: Dune: Imperium
In: Cyclades

Dune: Imperium i'm alittle sorry to let go...but it's another one that won't get played. No-one else around me has interest in Dune, and despite not being super complicated, 'feels' more complicated and turns some people off.

Cyclades, my boys have started getting into some more direct conflict driven games, heck we had a great RuneWars game a week ago that they all really enjoyed. and from what I remember, Cyclades isn't really a DOAM, but has lots of other sources of conflict. Now the inevitable search for expansion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
04 Nov 2022 18:28 - 06 Nov 2022 11:47 #336625 by sornars
I participated in my first math trade recently. It was a surprising amount of fun; it evokes the same feeling you get when searching through a flea market.

OUT:
Dark Venture + Vile Invaders Expansion: Apparently a second edition/reprint is in the works; I might check it out if it's materially different because I saw the promise but didn't want to master this system
Batman - Everybody Lies: I played the first case of this and found it kind of eh. Happy to see it go.

IN:
Nusfjord: I looked at the forums and folks seemed to be pretty positive on this one, particularly the solo mode. I'm pretty sure this will be my first Uwe game so we'll see how I get on. Edit: I forgot that he made Patchwork.
Winner's Circle/Royal Turf: I like Knizia, I like betting games; I'm sure this will be good.

I'm not sure if I got good value for my trades but I realise I kind of don't care.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2022 11:47 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, Gregarius, BillyBobThwarton

More
04 Nov 2022 23:19 #336628 by Michael Barnes
Oh Winner's Circle is awesome, and it's kind of hard to get ahold of now. Good trade!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
05 Nov 2022 11:33 #336634 by Jackwraith

sornars wrote: I'm not sure if I got good value for my trades but I realise I kind of don't care.

If you got something you wanted and got rid of something you didn't, you got good value.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, sornars, Gregarius, n815e

More
14 Nov 2022 12:15 #336791 by dontbecruel
Got a BGG trade offer of Return to Dark Tower + Alliances in return for my Dungeon Degenerates + expansions.
We might be done with DD. Can Dark Tower scratch some of the same adventuring itch? Not bothered about the lack of a campaign option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
14 Nov 2022 16:44 - 14 Nov 2022 16:45 #336797 by southernman

dontbecruel wrote: Got a BGG trade offer of Return to Dark Tower + Alliances in return for my Dungeon Degenerates + expansions.
We might be done with DD. Can Dark Tower scratch some of the same adventuring itch? Not bothered about the lack of a campaign option.

Ha - wish you'd been done with it a few months back when I was trying to buy a couple of the Guide books off you :whistle: ... :laugh:
Last edit: 14 Nov 2022 16:45 by southernman.

More
14 Nov 2022 16:48 - 14 Nov 2022 16:52 #336798 by dontbecruel
Ah, sorry man that was you? Wish I’d known and I would have photocopied you the missions out of the books before I posted it all out today. Needed to keep it all together really though.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2022 16:52 by dontbecruel.

More
14 Nov 2022 17:20 #336800 by southernman
In the end after approaching everyone I could find on BGG from the UK asking if they would sell/trade their guides a couple of guys sent me scans, would prefer physical copies but they'll do - ya never know, they may show up again one day here ... not :pinch:

More
20 Dec 2022 13:21 #337536 by Cranberries
I just traded my ancient copy of Kriegbot for a first edition of Fire in the Lake. I then tried to set up a three-way trade for something more likely to hit the table, like Captain Sonar or Sekigahara, but nobody was biting, so I have a new shelf toad. I could spend the Christmas break learning to play it. I may still be able to learn complex games. We will see. My usual strategy is to make my son teach me the game, but he's wised up.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, sornars, n815e

More
20 Dec 2022 14:24 #337539 by charlest
This may not work for you, but when I'm learning a COIN game - and Fire in the Lake was my first - I wouldn't even worry about trying to understand all the faction's operations. Just understand the structure of the game, how the board space function, and how event cards work. Basically read and understand everything in the rules but the specific operations for each faction.

Most operations have an analogous operation in a similar faction. When you play, just pickup the player aid foldout when taking your turn and read through your operations. Then perform one. Even playing all four factions while playing solitaire is simple enough in that format. Just take your time with each move and don't even worry about finishing the game or trying to rush through it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Msample, Jackwraith, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.334 seconds