October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What were some of your best trades and why?

More
28 Aug 2009 17:03 #39772 by KingPut
One mans trash is another mans treasure. What were some of your best trades and why?

#1. I received Arkham Horror for Puerto Rico.
I played my copy of Puerto Rico once. I've played about a hundred hours of Arkham Horror. The only problem with this trade is that I've had to fork over $100+ in expansions.

#2. I received War of the Ring for Princes of Florence
A game I love for a game I really didn't want to play

#3. I received Star Wars Epic Duels for Empires of the Ancient World
Both games are out of print and have a pretty high value. The draw back of this trade is that Star Wars will be reprinted. But overall this is worth it because Star Wars will be played over and over again while I don't think I'd ever get anyone to play Empires of the Ancient World

#4. I received Android for Ticket to Ride
I'm not sure how this will pay off. I hate Ticket to Ride but it could get played more frequently. I may never get Android on the table more than once a year and both Dr. C and Uba own Andriod. But on a dollar value it's an over priced $25 card game for a $45 Heavy board game packed with good stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2009 17:04 #39773 by Black Barney
no one is going to be able to beat your 2nd trade. It's totally sick.

I traded Dominion for 20$

I traded Catan with Cities and Knights for 20$

More
28 Aug 2009 17:09 #39774 by lj1983
I traded away Galactic Emperor for Warrior Knights
and Tomb for Twilight Struggle.

neither were great trades money wise, but awesome play-wise

More
28 Aug 2009 17:15 #39776 by mjl1783
I finally got rid of both Outdoor Survival and Maul of America, which I ended up giving to my dad along with Pit Fighter: Fantasy Arena for Wizards.

Wizards ain't no MR, but not owning those two games is worth quite a bit to me.

More
28 Aug 2009 17:15 #39778 by Bulwyf
Best play-wise trade was Arkham Horror for Battlelore. BL was a total letdown despite it's slick production. Arkham Horror on the other hand is one our group's favorite go to games. In fact, this Sat we're planning to play with Innsmouth Horror for the first time.

-Will

More
28 Aug 2009 17:36 #39780 by Schweig!
Received a mint UP FRONT for an unpunched KOREAN WAR I bought for €40.

Received an unpunched GUNSLINGER for an unopened AT-43 I bought for €60.

Black Barney wrote:

no one is going to be able to beat your 2nd trade. It's totally sick.

I traded Dominion for 20$

I traded Catan with Cities and Knights for 20$

That's called selling, Barney.

More
28 Aug 2009 17:39 - 28 Aug 2009 18:24 #39781 by Dogmatix
This list is more "best $ for $ trade" than "best trade for gameplay value". I dig *all* the games I traded for and actually like many of the games that I traded away (usually buying new copies of the the game traded away).

If anything, this list demonstrates that, if you're interested in trades, it pays big to put the the "BGG hottest flavor of the month" games on your trade list as "new in shrink" and just be prepared to buy new and have B&B/Boulder Games/Wargame Depot/etc. ship directly to your trade partner.

Traded: Napoleon's Triumph
Received: Unpunched WEG Tales of the Arabian Knights [long before it became clear that Z-man's edition would actually hit the street]

Traded: Bodyguard Overlord, Napoloeon's Triumph [I've traded this game at least 4 times], a beat-up Quebec 1759
Received: Ace of Aces Flying Machines, Plague & Pestilence [unplayed], Back to Iraq and Berlin '85

Traded: Combat Commander: Pacific
Received: Cataphract with some related extras (very good and long-OOP GBoH game that was commanding $100 in the resale market at the time; the price on this has finally started to drift downward toward a more reasonable $60-75ish, but, at the time, I thought I'd never land a copy for a reasonably price)

Traded: Combat Commander Pacific
Received: FAB: Bulge & On the Underground

Traded: Clash of Monarchs [the 2nd copy I got from Barnes]
Received: John Carter: Warlord of Mars [unpunched]

Traded: Galaxy Trucker [another game I've bought and traded at least 4 times]
Received: Chill Black Morn Manor, Semper Fi! [ATS PTO expansion], Tributary: Source of the Nile Supplement [very rare]

Traded: Galaxy Trucker
Received: Liberte (Warfrog)

Traded: 1960 MOTP
Received: Flying Colors (GMT Age of Sail game by Mike Rinella; went OOP just after I made this trade and became an object of extortion among traders)

Traded: Loot (little Gamewright card game) & some Nuke War booster cards
Received: Starforce Designer ed. (SPI boxed version with mounted boards) [This was from a "thrift buddy" who bought it for $2 and thought the game was incomplete but knew I'd like it and had a flatpack version that I could combine with it anyway)

Received: Arkham Horror: KIY; Caesar in Alexandria (long OOP GBoH); Kremlin: Revolution exansion (unpunched with envelope)

Traded: Clash of Monarchs [my first copy]
Received: NATO, Nukes, Nazis with multiple copies of D-DAY '90 expansion

Traded: Thurn & Taxis: All Roads to Rome
Received: A fuckton of Netrunner cards, mostly runner cards to help balance the huge lot of Corp cards I found at a thrift store (it was a "sympathy trade" from a thrifter and CCG freak)

Traded: ASL Paratrooper and Pegasus Bridge modules [both bought for $10 each, though I vaguely remember throwing a bunch of other ASL stuff, like scenarios from OOP magazines that I scanned and printed out on cardstock just like they were originals--it's good to have a full-featured printshop available for free at the office]
Received: B-29 Superfortress, Fallschirmjaeger (one of the best, and hardest to find, SCS series game)

Traded: C&C: Ancients 2nd ed.
Received: Attila and unpunched Twilight Imperium 3d ed.

Traded: Battleball
Received: Hammer of the Scots 2d ed with everything stickered, spray-coated, sleeved, and stored in planos....this trade came to me, and since I had 5 copies of B'ball that I found at thrift stores for $2 or less, I felt like I was stealing. I ended up giving the guy 2 full sets of BBall minis, special dice, and a bunch of extra related stuff and, I think, $10 either in cash or an amazon GC I earned from some credit card to try to even out my "trade karma" for this.

Edit: Few more that came to mind:

Traded: Here I Stand (just before it went OOP; turned out I bought the very last copy Wargame Depot had to complete this trade)
Received: Hube's Pocket (one of the most desired OCS games--I tried 2 turns and realized, just like the guy who sent it to me, that it was too huge and slow for my taste--ended up dropping it on ebay, where it went for $275)

Received: completely UNPUNCHED DARK TOWER with working Tower.

Traded: 1960: MOTP
Recieved: Gunslinger

Traded: 1960: MOTP [bought on Tanga for $20]
Received: Tannhauser & Wolf promo

Traded: 1960: MOTP (same Tanga deal)
Received: Ace of Aces Wingleader

Traded: 1960: MOTP (Tanga again)
Received: Title Bout with a TON of additional cards

Traded: Jack the Ripper (very rare Aulic Council/Sleuth game that some one severely underpriced on ebay at $35--normally goes anywhere from $70-$100+)
Received: Magic Realm

Traded: Dust (bought new) + Memoir '44+east front (bought for $20 at WBC auction)
Received: Battle Cry, Blue vs. Gray (GMT), 90% unpunched Raid on St. Nazaire (great AH solo game)

Lest someone think those trades should be classified as "theft," most of these trade offers came to me unbidden and that, in most cases, I did explain to everyone that these trades were severely unbalanced--that they'd be better to simply put the stuff they were offering me up on ebay and buying the game they wanted. Everyone was cool with it [and I usually throw some little bonus in the box--upgraded dice, some other little game I found at a thrift store, or related expansion stuff from The General, C3i, etc. if I had it. [In the other cases, they were longstanding "geekbuddies"/trade partners and I just had something they wanted in exchange for basically making room on their shelves.]

Edit2: This thread made me go back and look at my game purchases. As a result of "offers I couldn't refuse," I've purchased 6 copies of Napoleon's Triumph, 7 copies of Galaxy Trucker, 7 copies of 1960 Making of the President, 4 copies of Clash of Monarchs, and 4 copies of Pandemic.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 18:24 by Dogmatix.

More
28 Aug 2009 18:15 - 28 Aug 2009 18:19 #39784 by Merkles
I'll do more, but some of my best trades:

I traded
1) San Juan
and in return:
GOT:
1) Star Wars: Epic Duels
2) Survive
3) Battleball
4) Scotland Yard
5) Dungeon
6) Master Labyrinth
7) Three other games, too--Phalanx, Snowball Fight and another that I can't remember.

Yup--all in one trade. It was a math trade.

ANOTHER:

I traded Sam Grant (Columbia block game)

For a complete, good shape We the People

Another:

I traded Wings of War: Watch your Back for Galaxy Trucker

ANother:

I traded Tannhauser and I got a complete and great shape Dune
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 18:19 by Merkles.

More
28 Aug 2009 18:19 #39785 by Dogmatix
Merkles wrote:

I'll do more, but some of my best trades:

I traded
1) San Juan
and in return:
GOT:
1) Star Wars: Epic Duels
2) Survive
3) Battleball
4) Scotland Yard
5) Dungeon
6) Master Labyrinth
7) Three other games, too--Phalanx, Snowball Fight and another that I can't remember.

Yup--all in one trade. It was a math trade.

That's an impressive batch there man. I've usually managed to trade off stuff I despise for stuff I'd play in Math Trades, but never any "lottery wins" like that. Nice score!

More
28 Aug 2009 18:23 #39786 by Michael Barnes
- POWER GRID for the old GW FURY OF DRACULA back when it was worth something _and_ KREMLIN with the REVOLUTION expansion.

- A couple of really common Eurogames (like LOST CITIES and something else I can't remember) for LINEAGE II.

-WIZARD KINGS for a DS and a pile of games.

More
28 Aug 2009 18:39 #39787 by Juniper
I suck at trading.

More
28 Aug 2009 20:46 - 28 Aug 2009 20:51 #39794 by Dr. Mabuse
Juniper wrote:

I suck at trading.

I suck! I traded Freidrich for Cosmic Encounter the Hasbor/AH version in a Math Trade. I thought I was getting the FFG version. TO add insult to injury, the dude who I got CE from said he was glad to get rid of that "albatross".
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 20:51 by Dr. Mabuse.

More
28 Aug 2009 21:09 #39795 by Hatchling
I traded Samurai by Knizia for an Ogre microgame. Though Samurai is way more expensive, I've gotten much more fun out of Ogre than I ever would out of Samurai, so I'm happy about the trade.

More
28 Aug 2009 22:18 #39797 by lj1983
Michael Barnes wrote:

-WIZARD KINGS for a DS and a pile of games.

I still feel bad about what happened with that one

More
29 Aug 2009 00:12 #39800 by ubarose
I traded El Caballero for a copy of the original Arkham Horror that didn't smell of beer and bong water. I got a little faint headed when the offer was made. I didn't even have the old AH on my want list. I mean who would be mad enough to part with a copy. I was so happy to get rid of that boring old El Caballero game that mocked me with it's big, boring ugliness hogging up space on my shelf. I was even more happy when my much loved old AH arrive on my doorstep. It still had the old adverts in it. But ever since the FFG AH came out, I can't convince anyone to play the original with me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds