October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

eBay Alert Thread!!!!

More
22 Sep 2010 11:30 #74748 by Shellhead
This is a thread for tipping off F:ATties about good eBay deals on great AT games. I just noticed that Space Hulk 3rd edition is going for $75 with zero bids so far, and the auction ends in 45 minutes.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270634388638

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2010 11:31 #74749 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:eBay Alert Thread!!!!
Wait, maybe not such a great deal... this set is missing all the "Tyranid" (aka Genestealer) figures.

More
22 Sep 2010 11:58 #74751 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:eBay Alert Thread!!!!
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration

FYI, you can desplay e-bay listings by clicking on and pasting the listing number between the tags.

More
22 Sep 2010 12:09 #74753 by MattFantastic
Yeah I saw that listing and was interested, then saw it was total bullshit. $23 shipping too.

More
22 Sep 2010 12:15 #74755 by southernman
Once we get over watching the cool timer count down you may as well delete the thread FATie admins.

More
22 Sep 2010 12:17 #74757 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:eBay Alert Thread!!!!
THAT'S FUCKING WILD! As I read this thread, I saw the ticker time down from 8 seconds to Auction Ended. Oh Intertrons, I love you so!

More
22 Sep 2010 12:24 #74759 by ChristopherMD
Even with 45 minutes left its hard to say something will be a deal. A lot of auctions get sniped in the last few minutes by idiots who don't understand the purpose of giving your highest bid. Plus do we really want people (not accusing you Shellhead) posting their auctions here just to try and drive the bidding up? I'd suggest in the future only posting good Buy It Now deals.

More
22 Sep 2010 12:48 #74763 by jeb
Sniping makes the most sense if you are a buyer, Mad Dog. Period, end of story. I understand sellers not liking it, for obvious reasons.

I like the eBay Gems thread we had, where efforts were made to post hard-to-find items--I don't think this SPACE HULK is a good example, which Shellhead recognized after his initial enthusiasm. But let's say we see an auction for a SPACE HULK 3e with fully painted minis looking all pimpy pimp. That's something that doesn't pop up on ebay very often, and it merits a look. Same goes for those mega completionist ADVANCED SQUAD LEADER sets that pop up.

If I was a seller, I would post here to get more looks, to be sure. I wouldn't make a whole new thread to chat up my MONOPOLY HERE & NOW auction, but if I was shuffling off DUNE or something hot, I'd want you all in the know. If I was a potential buyer, that's trickier, as posting here would invite competition!

More
22 Sep 2010 14:08 #74768 by ChristopherMD
jeb wrote:

Sniping makes the most sense if you are a buyer, Mad Dog. Period, end of story.

Not even close to end of story. As a buyer you're better off putting in the real maximum you're willing to pay for something in the first place. Decide what something is really worth to you and bid that. Getting into a last minute bidding war is more likely to cause you to overpay just to win it, which is actually to the seller's advantage not yours.

More
22 Sep 2010 14:20 #74769 by Stephen Avery
Depends on your personality.

Steve"have almost sworn off ebay"Avery

More
22 Sep 2010 14:22 #74770 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re:eBay Alert Thread!!!!
Mad Dog wrote:

Not even close to end of story. As a buyer you're better off putting in the real maximum you're willing to pay for something in the first place. Decide what something is really worth to you and bid that. Getting into a last minute bidding war is more likely to cause you to overpay just to win it, which is actually to the seller's advantage not yours.

As long as you stick to your limit, and don't miss your chance, sniping is always your best bet. Putting in your real maximum early just gives more potential bidders more time to decide if they want to outbid you.

More
22 Sep 2010 14:23 #74771 by jeb
You are misunderstanding me. To snipe is to bid at the last possible moment. You should still bid accurately: which at eBay is your assessed maximum for the item. eBay is roughly a second price auction* and will figure out your payment for you.

Sniping helps you avoid bidding wars and bid chasers. Those cost you money if you are psychologically weak and items if you bid too early.

This is covered in the blog .

*second price auction is one in which the highest bidder wins, but pays the second highest bidder's price. This is almost true at eBay, except you pay that second highest bid plus the little extra they require to have it count as "higher."

More
22 Sep 2010 15:28 - 22 Sep 2010 15:29 #74779 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:eBay Alert Thread!!!!
Jeb's right here, I'd say. You may be a "max price" guy but the people you are competing with are not---they're irrational "compete" personalities. You could snag deals by sniping your last price that you never could putting in your number. So in that sense while you'll never spend more money than you plan either way, you will lose some auctions you'd otherwise win.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2010 15:29 by Gary Sax.

More
22 Sep 2010 15:46 - 22 Sep 2010 15:49 #74780 by SleightOfHand12
With more and more people figuring out how to use bid sniping programs (I've been using JBidwatcher for years with great success), eBay is basically boiling down to two flavors of Buy It Now: the official"Buy It Now" listings (in which the seller sets the price for the item), and auction-style listings (in which the buyers, using their bid snipers to set their max bids up front, set the price for the item.)

If you're worried about bid snipers undercutting what you'd like to get for something you've listed, safer to list it as a "Buy It Now" with an OBO option.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2010 15:49 by SleightOfHand12.

More
22 Sep 2010 15:59 #74781 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:eBay Alert Thread!!!!
Amazon.

S.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds