October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Which games would you like to see on Vassal?

More
11 Oct 2011 23:30 - 11 Oct 2011 23:43 #105380 by KingPut
I've really enjoyed playing games by email - Vassal over the last few years. GMT has been great converting games to Vassal but there is a number games that I wish I could play by Vassal. Here is some of the games I wish I could play by Vassal:

1. A Game of Thrones - I think AGoT would work great by Vassal. AGoT is just Diplomacy on steroids.
2. Few Acres of Snow - I think it's pretty likely we'll see A Few Acres of Snow in Vassal some day. Never mind version 1.0 is up.
3. Queen Gambit - Maybe if FFG remakes Queen Gambit.
4. High Frontier - I'd love to have the time to think out which rocket - location - etc I using.
5. American Megafauna - Megafauna could be pretty fun online.
6. Napoleon's War - I played quite a bit of Hold the Line on Vassal why not Napoleon's War?
Last edit: 11 Oct 2011 23:43 by KingPut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2011 23:45 #105382 by Dogmatix
I'd swear there's already a High Frontier vassal module. I'll go digging back through my stuff and see if I have one...

Tops on my list are some of the SPI titles that either haven't made it or got the life choked out of them by Decision Games: Invasion America and Objective Moscow are tops on the list.

Next up is the *entire* run of SPW Der Weltkrieg games. Yet another Decision Games product/problem child...

More
12 Oct 2011 00:53 #105384 by Not Sure
In for High Frontier!

My list is quite boring. All I want is "Virgin Queen", but Joel has to do it. I'm spoiled by his "Here I Stand" module. I'll never play an HIS game on Cyberboard again.

There must be something else I want, but I don't know what it would be. I should play more VASSAL games, since all my cardboard stuff is gathering dust here.

More
12 Oct 2011 01:42 #105385 by Dogmatix
Well, there *is* a Cyberboard mod for Megafauna here: loakes.game-host.org/limeyyankgames/game...ican%20Megafauna.zip

And Bios: Megafauna VASSAL is here: is.gd/C5Yo9r [google docs; legit link--I've tested it...]

And the High Frontier module is here: games.groups.yahoo.com/group/HighFrontie...r%20VASSAL%20Module/

[you'll have to join the Yahoo group]

More
12 Oct 2011 03:23 #105388 by JoelCFC25

Not Sure wrote: My list is quite boring. All I want is "Virgin Queen", but Joel has to do it.

You are too kind. I'm really amped for VQ, and was just considering writing to Ed this week to see if he has someone lined up to do that module already. I'd like a crack at it for sure.

Last week I wrote to the listed maintainer of the Wilderness War module to see if he'd mind if I tried a remake of that one (would like to improve the graphics and make some different design choices). I haven't gotten a response, and kind of suspect he's dropped out of the scene.

More
12 Oct 2011 08:26 #105391 by Matt Thrower
Some of the shorter/simpler FFG games like Nexus Ops and Dungeonquest would make fantastic Vassal mods. I know there's a cyberboard module for DQ, but cyberboard isn't as good as Vassal, and it's Windows only.

I'd also like to see a Dragon Rage one to tie in with the re-release.

More
12 Oct 2011 13:09 #105394 by ThirstyMan
Absolutely agree with Dogmatix.

Some SPI games would be good. Ability to play War in Europe without paying $60 for DGs software would be good. When you think how much the bloody game costs in the first place......

More
12 Oct 2011 16:36 #105408 by hotseatgames
I've never tried VASSAL. Is it hard to pick up? Do you have to have people already lined up to play with, or is there some sort of game finder?

More
12 Oct 2011 16:59 #105409 by lj1983
in general Vassal isn't too hard. depends on the module though. some of the modules are just a set of pieces, and you handle everything, while other modules have alot of built-in functionality to handle various effects. There's a guy over on BGG who has been making tutorials for some of the more complicated modules.

as for players, there is a chatroom system built-in and some of the more popular games you can find random players to play with. but generally its better to have someone lined up before hand.

Vassal works well as both PBEM and real-time

More
12 Oct 2011 18:46 #105410 by JoelCFC25

lj1983 wrote: as for players, there is a chatroom system built-in and some of the more popular games you can find random players to play with. but generally its better to have someone lined up before hand.

There isn't really a one-stop general chatroom. You have to open a module and look for a game online, then you can chat with other people who are online with that same module open. But it's not currently possible within the program to chat with people using modules other than the one(s) you have open. They really need a "lobby" integrated at the top level that isn't tied to use of any given module (I'm sure this is planned for the version 4 rewrite), or at least a clever match-making service.

More
12 Oct 2011 20:25 #105411 by Dogmatix

MattDP wrote: Some of the shorter/simpler FFG games like Nexus Ops and Dungeonquest would make fantastic Vassal mods. I know there's a cyberboard module for DQ, but cyberboard isn't as good as Vassal, and it's Windows only.

I'd also like to see a Dragon Rage one to tie in with the re-release.

Someone did up a NexusOps module based on the original version but couldn't secure permission to use, so he never made it public. It allegedly looks quite nice and I'd love to get my hands on it...

More
13 Oct 2011 16:06 #105479 by JoelCFC25

All I want is "Virgin Queen"

I got the green light from Ed last night--and I might even have files in hand to get started in early November. I'm looking forward to the project (especially the chance to finally get a glimpse of the rulebook).

More
13 Oct 2011 20:46 #105513 by Stonecutter

JoelCFC25 wrote:

All I want is "Virgin Queen"

I got the green light from Ed last night--and I might even have files in hand to get started in early November. I'm looking forward to the project (especially the chance to finally get a glimpse of the rulebook).

Woo hoo!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds