October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Looking for a PBEM game (VASSAL/Dropbox)

More
26 Oct 2011 01:57 - 26 Oct 2011 02:15 #106459 by JoelCFC25
With only 1 game currently going on, I'd like to start another one using VASSAL and (preferably) Dropbox. Weekday nights work for some live play interspersed with PBEM.

Top priorities are:
Here I Stand (2 player variant w/ Diplomacy Deck)
A Most Dangerous Time
Paths of Glory
Wilderness War
Washington's War

If we can wrap something up inside a month that would be ideal, since my first child is due in late November--although I won't drop off the earth then, I just might slow down a little.

For strictly live play I often hop on VASSAL at night looking for games of Twilight Struggle, and Warriors of God works pretty well when split up over 2-3 sessions. PM me if you have some interest.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2011 02:15 by JoelCFC25.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2012 16:26 #113749 by jeb
Joinging my voice to the chorus here. Joel, I hope your baby is healthy and plump.

I'd like to play some ECLIPSE via VASSAL/Dropbox. Let me know via TM. I can set it up and start.

ECLIPSE rules: dl.dropbox.com/u/5496950/Eclipse-rules/E...e_rules_EN_compr.pdf
ECLIPSE module: www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Eclipse

More
22 Jan 2012 16:39 #113753 by Dogmatix
Hey there man

I'd be up for any of the above, though I'm officially a wretched PoG player (what did you think of Pursuit of Glory?; haven't had a chance to play that one yet...).

I also may hold the world record for the shortest game of Twilight Struggle in history at 11 cards; that should be worth a plaque at WBC methinks.

More
22 Jan 2012 17:57 #113756 by repoman
11 cards? Oh man, that should be a plaque. :) How did you even manage that?

I'd be up for a game of PoG or PuG on Vassal. Not sure what dropbox is though so you might have to explain that.

As for Eclipse. Is it any good two player? Or would you be playing more than that Jeb?

More
22 Jan 2012 21:10 #113790 by Dogmatix

repoman wrote: 11 cards? Oh man, that should be a plaque. :) How did you even manage that?

"Suboptimal" U.S. choices at set-up followed by some brutal events and all the scoring cards being dealt to the other guy. Through a combo of events and scoring, my buddy's hand basically played itself down the path of giving me no choice but to force the game to DefCon 1. It was like playing Mortal Kombat against someone who lined up some sort of 40-button-mash combo just as the quarter dropped into the slot. I've lost a number of TS games by the start of turn 4, but this was one for the friggin' ages.

As for dropbox, it's basically a shared virtual drive. It's very cool but if you're playing from a work computer, your department IT guys will have a complete coronary if they see it pop up as it's basically akin to mapping a network drive out in the ether. I've used it for a variety of things and have found it to be quite safe and incredibly useful for collaborative projects but it's also something I basically keep in a digital sandbox just to make sure no one from my office freaks out

More
23 Jan 2012 03:11 #113830 by jeb
Using your own encryption scheme where I work would get you fired.

Anyhoo, TM me your emails, stonecutter and repoman, and I will set up the Dropbox for our game. If you want to just email me directly, it's jeblucas -/a|t\- gmail -dot- calm (figure it out). Anyone else want in, please TM/email me before they do.

More
23 Jan 2012 05:51 #113842 by Dogmatix

jeb wrote: Using your own encryption scheme where I work would get you fired.

Since they didn't cough up the thousands of dollars I've laid out on my own for hardware and won't cover my monthly bandwidth and telecomms costs, they can kiss my shiny metal ass. A portion of the files on these arrays might be theirs but all the hardware and infrastructure is mine. I'm happy [and far more able than most] to work from home, but the company pushed me into it to save the substantial overhead costs that go with a body in an office, not to reduce my commute time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
06 Feb 2012 17:32 #115421 by Jackwraith
Leeching off the thread, I'd like to get a game or two going, although I've never used VASSAL, so I'll venture out to learn it soon. I'm looking for:

Here I Stand (6 player, preferably)
Game of Thrones (if the VASSAL version exists; at least 5, preferably 6)
The Hellgame (if the VASSAL version exists (unlikely); preferably 4)

Hannibal (2 player, obvsly)
Crusader Rex (2 player, obvsly)

More
08 Feb 2012 17:27 #115631 by jeb
I extend an offer of diplomatic relations to Doc Mabuse and stonecutter in our ECLIPSE game.

More
08 Feb 2012 18:19 #115638 by Dr. Mabuse
Not knowing the full scope of this decision I'll say yes and I'll send a sci cube.

More
08 Feb 2012 20:07 #115652 by Fallen
If anyone has run a TI3 game in vassel and would be willing to do so again, I would love to try getting it to work. I picked up the actual game the other day and as I understand it you need a copy for the cards?

More
14 Feb 2014 02:24 - 14 Feb 2014 02:27 #171877 by KingPut
I was knocked out of WBCs Washington War tournament after going 2 and 2. So I'm looking to start another game on Vassal. I'm up for any 2 player war game. Games I know well: Warriors of God, Washington's War, Twilight Struggle, GBotAC, Laborinth, 1989, Hold the Line, Space Empires, Hannibal, block games. I could get up to speed pretty quickly on For the People, Wilderness War, Lincoln's War or POG.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2014 02:27 by KingPut.

More
21 May 2014 12:31 #178581 by JoelCFC25
Wrapped up Washington's War, so I have some capacity again. Anyone for a game of Wilderness War? VASSAL-only with Dropbox.

More
21 May 2014 19:11 #178643 by Dogmatix

JoelCFC25 wrote: Wrapped up Washington's War, so I have some capacity again. Anyone for a game of Wilderness War? VASSAL-only with Dropbox.

You mean time for something like a long-forgotten game of Paths of Glory that SOMEONE seems to have forgotten about for months? Something like that? :-P

(I'm overbooked with work now anyway, but I couldn't pass up a chance to bust your balls in public... I saw the PoG module has been updated again and not by you. What's the story there?)

More
22 May 2014 11:24 #178686 by JoelCFC25

Dogmatix wrote: You mean time for something like a long-forgotten game of Paths of Glory that SOMEONE seems to have forgotten about for months? Something like that? :-P

(I'm overbooked with work now anyway, but I couldn't pass up a chance to bust your balls in public... I saw the PoG module has been updated again and not by you. What's the story there?)

Fair...I gotta hold my hand up there. The test module we started with has changed a fair amount since then (and I don't think I have the saved game anymore, oops).

Another dude stepped up and took the initiative to change the existing module's WBC Variant scenario to get in line with its current modifications.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds