October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Anyone interested in playing Antiquity online?

More
19 Mar 2012 14:30 #119703 by Dr. Mabuse
It's web based so it saves your turn but I don't think it has email notification like ACTS.

If you sign up you can join game name F:ATiquity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2012 17:24 #119727 by Gary Sax
Never played it... looks interesting. I've always been attracted to Splotter's games. I'd love to try Greed on a system like this, for example.

More
20 Mar 2012 01:02 #119776 by Not Sure
Let me read the rules, I might be in...

I've always been interested in their stuff as well.

More
20 Mar 2012 02:02 #119789 by Dogmatix
Yea, I'm in. Especially if those two sorry bitches right above me sign up.

(My 2 HIS games are winding down and I've got an OCS "2 newbs muddling through" game starting up. Antiquity would be a nice alternative to all that tracing supply kind of action...)

More
20 Mar 2012 02:09 #119793 by Not Sure
"HIS games are winding down?"

I thought they were just getting good...

Yeah, if it's Doc and Sax and Dog, I'd play basically anything. I'll read the rules tonight and sign my ass up if they're at all comprehensible. Even if they aren't, I bet I can fake it for half a game until things become clear.

More
20 Mar 2012 02:26 #119801 by Gary Sax
Let me take a look at the rules tomorrow.

Reminds me Im completely dragging on my BATC campaign with kingput! Gotta do that tomorrow.

More
20 Mar 2012 02:54 #119806 by Dogmatix

Not Sure wrote: "HIS games are winding down?"

I thought they were just getting good...

"Just getting good" and "about to lose my ass" are completely synonymous in my world when it comes to HIS.

I'm pretty sure the "and 6" game will go one more turn unless the New World dumps big riches into England's lap. (Now would be a lovely time to see both Smallpox and Cibola crop up though...)

FAT only sees T8 if you can take metz and I use my last card to outwait the Prods and hope to flip a couple of late spaces. With that simpering nob Edward on the English throne now, trying just about any type of counter-reform in Perfidious Albion will only end in tears for us all.

As for the Antiquity rules, I don't recall them being that bad (I scored a very reasonably priced copy from Clockwirk in a burst of F:AT kindness/shelf-clearing when the game was way OOP with no reprint on the horizon a while back). There are a couple of spots where either I kind of figured I needed to see it in action or someone was having a strange Dutch->English translation moment, but the worst elements seem to be all the Richard Berg-like markers that can sprout all over the board like morels after a particularly damp spring. If anything, like Roads & Boats, it's just made for a digital environment as 1 particularly bad sneeze can't throw entire turn into chaos on a VASSAL map ;)

More
20 Mar 2012 04:19 #119815 by Dr. Mabuse
Unlike ACTS or spielbyweb the current game I set up for FATties has been inadvertently joined by a couple of unknowns.

Let me know when you guys sign up (you can TM me your sign up name) and I'll start another one with the 4 of us.

I gave it a trial run over the weekend and holy fuck this game is truly brutal, in terms of dealing with pollution and famine.

More
20 Mar 2012 04:56 #119818 by Not Sure
I signed up as pf.rjets

I'm heading out on vacation for a few days at the end of this week, so I might drop off the grid for a day or two at a time between Friday and Wednesday. After that, I'll be a polluting faminizing horseman of the Apocalypse on a regular basis.

Reading the rules with a tasty beer right now. (might be time to revive the "what beer are you drinking?" thread.)

Dog, are you sure you counted the points in FAT7 correctly? England losing Metz to me doesn't prolong that game at all, unless you know something I don't. The "and 6" game I agree with you on, unless England gets magic dice in the NW or I completely stuff up some rolls we're going to another turn. He's still excommunicated as well, which is going to mean another short turn for him next time.

More
20 Mar 2012 15:04 #119855 by Dr. Mabuse
No prob NS and thanks for the heads up.

More
20 Mar 2012 18:34 - 20 Mar 2012 18:37 #119903 by Dogmatix
I am oh so cleverly registered under the handle "dogmatix". The older I get, the more certain I am that, whenever I find name already taken when I register on any given site, it most likely means I was the one who registered it and have forgotten both the password and email address used to register...

Not Sure wrote: Dog, are you sure you counted the points in FAT7 correctly? England losing Metz to me doesn't prolong that game at all, unless you know something I don't. The "and 6" game I agree with you on, unless England gets magic dice in the NW or I completely stuff up some rolls we're going to another turn. He's still excommunicated as well, which is going to mean another short turn for him next time.

Doh. Nope. I counted 22 for you. Damnit. Ah well, it's truly every man for himself now.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2012 18:37 by Dogmatix.

More
21 Mar 2012 00:19 #119991 by Dr. Mabuse
Okay gents, I'll get the game underway later tonight.

Unlike ACTS this won't let you know when your turn is, though it won't make a difference during the planning phase as we do it altogether.

You can fool around with your initial placement but once you press validate, that action has been committed.

More
21 Mar 2012 03:34 #120014 by Not Sure
Joined the game, read the rules last night. Looks playable, I'm sure we're all going to die horrible polluted deaths in a city of graves.

Dog: I knew I shouldn't have said anything. Having other people miscount my score is the key to my strategy. If I can pull off the elusive France win I'll consider myself as actually having learned how to play that bastard game.

Back on topic, I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in Antiquity here.

More
21 Mar 2012 04:33 #120020 by Dr. Mabuse
Yeah I'm surprised too.

Okay I created the game but I can't seem to click on the game name to start it. Maybe there's something on your guys' end?

I'll wait 'til tomorrow and maybe email the designer, if we can't get it going.

More
21 Mar 2012 11:08 #120031 by schlupp

Back on topic, I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in Antiquity here.

I'm in next time, if there is a next time. I have never played the game, so I'm interested to get your judgement on whether this is good or not (both the game itself as well as the implementation).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds