October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Pax Pamir

More
05 Sep 2019 12:21 #301421 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Pax Pamir
Given how few points are in the game, double does seem pretty excessive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2019 06:27 #301474 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Pax Pamir

mc wrote: So the "no double dominance check in the market" is a pretty big rule, isn't it, especially on top of the fact that the last one goes for double VP. It meant for quite the finish in our game as each market cleanup could spell the end. I wonder how often that's going to happen in this game.

(Matt - check your PMs).

Done. Looking forward to getting a game in, although my relative inexperience and UK time zone may spoil your play a bit. Hope not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
06 Sep 2019 08:18 #301476 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Pax Pamir
Nah there's no pressure speed wise - I'm in Aus anyway!

More
15 Sep 2019 16:25 #301733 by mc
Lj and my game wrapped up - any takers for a fourth player before we rack it up again?

More
17 Sep 2019 12:11 #301780 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Pax Pamir
I've got enough head space for a second game if you want a fourth. (and haven't already racked up the game).

You know how to get ahold of me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Sep 2019 13:54 #301784 by Gary Sax
Pamir is sort of rattling around in my ratings of Pax games. Right now I think it's behind Ren but I need to play a few more games.

More
17 Sep 2019 17:21 #301788 by mc
Thanks Not Sure, we started already.

I feel the same I think about its place. The smoothness is great, and the VP thing is not what I feared, in that each dominant check is nice and tense. I've still got mixed feelings about the catchup stuff. And it is missing the same level of board manipulation. Like, there is some, but it's a lot more straightforward.

More
17 Sep 2019 18:02 #301789 by Gary Sax
It's definitely distinct and different with the alliances, which I greatly appreciate. These games run on the same engine but I don't feel that they're redundant.

More
17 Sep 2019 18:30 #301790 by Not Sure

mc wrote: Thanks Not Sure, we started already.

No problem, next time. I'm up in this game anyway.

I want to get a few more games in before I make up my mind. Different card mixes can make each play of any Pax game feel very different.

More
17 Sep 2019 19:46 #301791 by mc

Gary Sax wrote: It's definitely distinct and different with the alliances, which I greatly appreciate. These games run on the same engine but I don't feel that they're redundant.

Yeah, not at all. and the alliances and flipping those is definitely the standout thing.

I played Konig von Siam recently and maybe it's just the proximity of plays, but the feel of that kind of feels similar to Pamir to me. Judge the board state.... now, which train to I want to get on? The cards and actions and the spies and so on add an extra, woolier level, obviously. And I haven't played a lot of stock games, or Imperial, either, and maybe they are closer in that respect. The first edition also had it, but was just harder, or more complicated, and slower, to manipulate.

More
21 Sep 2019 14:22 #301888 by Gary Sax
I was listening to So Very Wrong about Games talking about this (Mark), and he thinks it's more static than Pax Ren. What do you guys think of that? I'm not so sure about that. I feel like the assassinations and especially the political card/tribe link mean that you can move across regions pretty easily, even though the regions themselves are locked to the cards you draw which can create pretty distinct card strongholds---see our current game with Matt.

By contrast, I think it is very easy in Ren to lock people out of regions and, especially, to strangle them financially via trade routes and running them often enough to keep the coins away from anyone later in the route. That can really lock down the game into a few strong empires, and if they're controlled by the right people it's very locked in.

More
21 Sep 2019 19:17 #301890 by Not Sure
The East is critical to the early game in Pax Ren, because that's where the money is. There's a predictable flow of cash, and you have to be in place to get it. You can buy stuff out of the market to scrape a few coins, but that's not very predictable or sustainable compared to having a cube on a Hungarian border.

Pamir is different in that there's no real money injected into the game, so you use a decentralized "Tax" action to grab cash, or scrape it up from the market.

To my eyes, that make it less static than Ren, in the sense that what comes into the market defines the game even more. Taking over England or Hungary in Ren? Hungary every time. In a Pamir game, it's harder for me to tell what or where is going to be important, especially since there's the faction patriots, regional bribe rules, etc. You really don't know if you're going to get anything you want, or if it's going to be in an affordable market spot when it does.

More
09 Oct 2019 18:13 #302317 by Gary Sax
www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2289793/oth...ound-cole-wehrles-pa

Don't agree with every bit, but worth a read if you have played the game a few times and been thinking about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
10 Oct 2019 11:53 #302330 by Not Sure
Yeah, that thread (including some of the responses) is one of the better things I've read on anything about gaming in a while.

More
10 Oct 2019 14:02 #302334 by Gary Sax
It sounds dumb, but I hadn't thought about Root as dueling models of political and economic organization... even though once someone said it I'm like "fucking duh."

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds