October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Battlestar Galactica Play-by-Forum

More
19 Apr 2009 11:43 #26330 by Ken B.
You might get your chance, SM.

BARNES--THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING. JOIN US, OR DIE.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2009 10:45 #26363 by Dr. Mabuse
LET'S GET IT ON! If Barnes wants in he can come in the next go 'round.

More
20 Apr 2009 11:12 #26370 by Ken B.
drmabuse00 wrote:

LET'S GET IT ON! If Barnes wants in he can come in the next go 'round.

I believe Southernman has offered to jump in, should Barnes not show.

You've got until tomorrow afternoon, Barnes. Then we're picking characters, and SM's in.

More
20 Apr 2009 11:15 #26371 by southernman
That's the biggest Trashdome sulk yet :-p !

More
20 Apr 2009 11:32 #26372 by Shellhead
I realize that we haven't started yet, but I have reason to believe that Barnes is playing a Cylon.

More
20 Apr 2009 14:42 - 20 Apr 2009 14:43 #26396 by southernman
Shellhead wrote:

I realize that we haven't started yet, but I have reason to believe that Barnes is playing a Cylon.

I have been a cylon so many times at our club (actually not all the time but definitely in the memorable games) that the game is now nick-named 'Tom is a Toaster' and they're trying to house rule that I get brig'd on the first turn. I was Boomer last game (and a human) and of course I end up in the brig at halftime - and could I convince anyone to help me out. In the end it was the unrevealed cylon who XO'd me to help me out (just to make him look like a human) with most of the others being nice by not putting any cards in and letting me do all the work to get out :-).

But, if Barnes does show up for the game then he should be brig'd straight away for delaying the fleet and causing early tension and distrust !
Last edit: 20 Apr 2009 14:43 by southernman.

More
20 Apr 2009 22:09 #26434 by ozjesting
I will be sure and check in tomorrow...it is what Humans do.

More
22 Apr 2009 10:28 #26532 by Ken B.
Alright, so here's the deal.

1. Barnes is officially out--he indicated time was a factor. Southernman's in.

2. Southernman has sent me a very cool Google share document that would make running this game easier, I think. I'm still getting a look at it myself to see how tricky it is to work with and edit.

Here's the thing--if we use it, does everyone have a Google account, or be willing to sign up for one? It is really nice and I think would help our game out.

Only thing I'm not sure about is editing the board with ships/civvies and then having to pull them off. SM, you got some tips on that?

More
22 Apr 2009 10:34 #26533 by ozjesting
I have a google account, but have never worked out how to use it for things in the group nature. But am willing to learn ;)

More
22 Apr 2009 12:58 #26554 by southernman
Ken B. wrote:

Alright, so here's the deal.

1. Barnes is officially out--he indicated time was a factor. Southernman's in.

2. Southernman has sent me a very cool Google share document that would make running this game easier, I think. I'm still getting a look at it myself to see how tricky it is to work with and edit.

Here's the thing--if we use it, does everyone have a Google account, or be willing to sign up for one? It is really nice and I think would help our game out.

Only thing I'm not sure about is editing the board with ships/civvies and then having to pull them off. SM, you got some tips on that?

I'm no expert on this as only just recently looked at the google apps as a way of easily sharing the odd document (from, coincidentally, recently when I have made a spreadsheet that decides if the BSG Sympathiser is cylon or human based on current game factors using a throw of the d8 in the game).

But the spreadsheet is definitely an easy way of sharing most of the game information each turn - especially for the moderator who has to update it.

The presentation will take a bit more work to update but it would be good just to show the board for fleet positions, epecially for those who haven't played or seen the game up close.
For showing ship placement you could capture images from the rule book and then when you place them on the main board image paste a number beside (like on the crisis cards) it to indicate numbers in each space sector. You would have main images of the board and all the different ships saved, and then just create a quick composite for each turn - of the board and the required ship images 'pasted on' - and save it as a new file to be loaded into the presentation each turn.
It will be a bit of work if you're not a photoshop regular, so maybe more of the graphics experienced people here could give you some better material and/or method than I have.

More
22 Apr 2009 15:48 #26571 by Dr. Mabuse
GIMP would probably be the best program to use for the board as it's free and available for both platforms.

More
22 Apr 2009 15:56 #26573 by Shellhead
It's easy to do basic image manipulation within an Excel spreadsheet, even compared to PhotoShop. But if we must go the PhotoShop route, use GIMP or GIMPshop instead. They are free and offer all of the same basic functionality. PhotoShop is hideously expensive for what you get, unless you need it for your profession.

More
22 Apr 2009 17:53 - 23 Apr 2009 07:32 #26606 by southernman
The google apps are a bit limited compared to their retail office counterparts, I was just looking for something that the moderator could use to provide an online board rather than emailing one to every player.
The spreadsheet should show most of teh game stats per turn, while the presentation just has a graphic of the board (produced in whatever app you have or are good with - I just hacked around in mspaint in Windows) that I saved in the presentation app once it was built.

Presentation

Spreadsheet

I'm not even a slightly seasoned amateur at graphics so apologies if it looks terrible.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2009 07:32 by southernman.

More
22 Apr 2009 18:02 #26607 by DeletedUser
I have a Google account and don't care how you guys want to run it. I'll fit in as best I can.

More
22 Apr 2009 19:24 #26622 by KingPut
Death and Taxis wrote:

I have a Google account and don't care how you guys want to run it. I'll fit in as best I can.

What he said.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds