October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Here I Stand

More
27 Feb 2009 05:00 #22402 by lollocaust
Here I Stand was created by lollocaust
Here I Stand has been sitting on my shelf for 6 months, taunting me with its sweet theme and easy to learn rules. However, every time I try to get together some friends to play it with, I make some mention of its play time and they sneer at me incredulously, deeply offended that I would suggest something so inefficient. I point out the use of victory points, but the decision is made, and they go play 5 consecutive games of Puerto Rico.

So real life is out, which leaves me with the internet. I seem to recall that there was a game of Here I Stand played here at some point, so I figured I'd see if anyone was up for another. However, I have no fucking clue what is going on when I open Vassal, so if we play, somebody has to volunteer to teach me how it works.

Anyone interested?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2009 05:25 #22403 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:Here I Stand
Too Bad you don't live in Vancouver because me and a few buddies have had our collective eye's on this for some time now and I would love to play a game of it (pretty much ever since Nate Merchant attacked me in a PM over on TOS... BASTARD!!!)

More
27 Feb 2009 05:32 - 27 Feb 2009 05:33 #22404 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re:Here I Stand
The previous FAT game never finished - a couple of players pulled out after 3 rounds or so. I'd certainly be up for another, and I have a PBEM friend who might be up for it too, as he loves the game.

Having only played the one incomplete session, I can't say I can help much with learning the game. But I can certainly help you getting to grips with Vassal - although I seem to recall we actually used cyberboard to track the previous game. For HIS there's an online module which can track cards and dice rolls and that REALLY helps take much of the legwork out of Vassal.

Our previous game also had a games master. I have no idea how essential this is for PBEM. However I do remember reading somewhere that if you ask very nicely the games designer will sometimes step in and oversee games.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2009 05:33 by Matt Thrower.

More
27 Feb 2009 06:52 #22405 by lollocaust
Replied by lollocaust on topic Re:Here I Stand
JonJacob wrote:

Too Bad you don't live in Vancouver because me and a few buddies have had our collective eye's on this for some time now and I would love to play a game of it (pretty much ever since Nate Merchant attacked me in a PM over on TOS... BASTARD!!!)

I do live in Vancouver actually. (I assume you are talking about the Canadian one, and not the low quality American ripoff.) So if you and your friends are interested and can match my terrible work schedule I'm in. Shoot me a PM or something.

Also, to Matt, I am not so worried about the rules of the game itself. It is more that I simply don't understand what to do in Vassal or Cyberboard to make a game happen. So I would love a chance to learn how it works.

More
27 Feb 2009 09:38 #22407 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Re:Here I Stand
The other F:AT game of Here I Stand is still going, although it's on life support. Quite incredibly, it's 1 year later and we're just starting Turn 4. There's no reason it has to go that slow, however.

You might be interested in a post I made briefly covering the main Cyberboard features you'd need to play: www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3053640#3053640

In short, there's no need to psych yourself out, it isn't something that needs "teaching." It really amounts to knowing how to grab pieces, move them where you want, flip things, etc. I've only used VASSAL for live play, so I can't speak to its PBEM features...but I'm sure they're similar.

A game referee is probably useful if there are participants who've never played before. With 6 who know what they are doing, there's no need for a referee IMHO.

More
27 Feb 2009 10:52 #22409 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Here I Stand
It's definitely better F2F if you can get people to play it. There's an awful lot to manage and keep track of and I think that PBEM crosses that "fun/work" threshold.

But yeah, F2F it's one of the best games on the market today. It's really an amazing design. It's one of those that if you only get to play once a year, it's totally worth the wait.

More
27 Feb 2009 11:38 #22410 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re:Here I Stand
Michael Barnes wrote:

It's one of those that if you only get to play once a year, it's totally worth the wait.

Yeah see that's what knocked it (and others of it's kind) off of my wish list. I'd love to play it but, I have enough games on the shelf gathering dust.

More
27 Feb 2009 11:57 #22415 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Here I Stand
If you have players who *will* look at it once a day, it is a lot of fun. HIS PBEM games really lose it when they lose their rhythm. I find this is true of most PBEM games. If you can keep the pace going reasonably fast, everyone stays very interested. The hard part is when you don't remember what is going on and have to look back on it to catch up--it's generally not as much fun when that happens.

More
27 Feb 2009 13:01 #22421 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic Re:Here I Stand
Sorry guys, I've been trying to keep it going! I admit that the slowness is partially my fault. On the bright side, the Ottomans finally did something.

More
27 Feb 2009 13:08 #22422 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Here I Stand
I wonder if the name of the game contributes to the dustiness of the box. "Here I Stand" is probably part of a historic quote that is very appropriate to the game, but by itself, sounds passive. It's a little better than "Here I Sit," but not much. A more active name might generate more interest and enthusiasm, and even encourage players to take action to actually play the game.

More
27 Feb 2009 13:11 #22424 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Here I Stand
Count Orlok wrote:

Sorry guys, I've been trying to keep it going! I admit that the slowness is partially my fault. On the bright side, the Ottomans finally did something.

Count, wasn't trying to single anyone out. I have been slow as well at times.

An additional option is actually quite cool--Wargameroom.com just released their HIS module. Wargameroom is awesome, first of all, for any type of game. It's live played so you need a bunch of people to play at a certain time... BUT it enforces the rule, which is really fucking awesome.

I'd love to get a game together on wargameroom.

More
27 Feb 2009 13:48 #22428 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Re:Here I Stand
Agree, I disappeared for 2 weeks on my honeymoon last summer, so I'm not exactly innocent on the slowness charge.

More
27 Feb 2009 14:24 #22435 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re:Here I Stand
This is a game I very much want to play.

The chances of me getting a face-to-face group are nil.

So I'm down for a game anytime, but it will have to be noob-friendly.

More
27 Feb 2009 14:44 #22438 by Merkles
Replied by Merkles on topic Re:Here I Stand
Everyone is going slow in the HIS game because they are in AWE of the greatness of England and the virility of His Majesty Henry VIII (though right now possibly under siege in Metz)

More
28 Feb 2009 00:58 #22494 by Partizan
Replied by Partizan on topic Re:Here I Stand
I'm just about to finish a PBEM game of HiS and wouldn't mind starting another. If there are some that would like to start up another FAT Here I Stand game, I'd love to join in.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds