October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

The F:AT Diplomacy Game Thread

More
09 Jul 2009 15:00 - 29 Jul 2009 21:38 #34312 by Aarontu
Anyone interested in playing a game by forum/PM here on F:AT?

I know there are a plethora of online Diplomacy sites out there, but I only really have time at work, and I'd like to stay here on F:AT. I'm willing to be the GM, but that's why I said "mini-Diplomacy". Meaning less territories and probably no seas/fleets; I'm familiar with the rules of the game, but GM'ing a full game without special programs/tools is intimidating (convoy rules scare me). Also, think of this game as a sort of test, to see how this type of game will go.

EDIT: this will be a Diplomacy game on Dipbounced. Thanks to Quozl for offering to run it. Just register and then post your Dipbounced name here.

For reference (mostly for me, since I can't use Dipbounced at work), here is the who's who list:

Game Master - Quozl
Italy - Aarontu
Austria - Kingput
Germany - Dogmatix
England - lj1983
France - MattLoter
Russia - Malloc
Turkey - Mattdp
Last edit: 29 Jul 2009 21:38 by Aarontu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2009 15:13 #34317 by Shellhead
Aarontu wrote:

Anyone interested in playing a "mini-Diplomacy" game by forum/PM here on F:AT?

I know there are a plethora of online Diplomacy sites out there, but I only really have time at work, and I'd like to stay here on F:AT. I'm willing to be the GM, but that's why I said "mini-Diplomacy". Meaning less territories and probably no seas/fleets; I'm familiar with the rules of the game, but GM'ing a full game without special programs/tools is intimidating (convoy rules scare me). Also, think of this game as a sort of test, to see how this type of game will go.

You might have trouble getting a game together here. Some of the people voting for Diplomacy in Trashdome this week don't actually want to play Diplomacy anymore.

More
09 Jul 2009 15:28 #34320 by Aarontu
Shellhead wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

You might have trouble getting a game together here. Some of the people voting for Diplomacy in Trashdome this week don't actually want to play Diplomacy anymore.

Maybe a diceless DOAM type game with simulaneous turn resolution then?

More
09 Jul 2009 16:38 #34347 by Dogmatix
Aarontu wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

Maybe a diceless DOAM type game with simulaneous turn resolution then?

It might be better and easier to set one up using one of the various PBEM diplomacy auto-judges out there. They absolutely beat the hell out of anything else when it comes to charting appropriate moves/bounces/etc. It's been a few years since I've played online, so I'll have to go dig up my links [though if "the Dip Pouch" is still online, they'll have all the resources you'll ever need].

More
09 Jul 2009 19:23 #34360 by quozl
www.dipbounced.com is a very nice web interface

More
09 Jul 2009 22:25 #34373 by MattFantastic
I'll play in whatever format you feel like using.

More
10 Jul 2009 01:17 - 10 Jul 2009 01:55 #34390 by Dogmatix
EDIT: And, I'm, of course, a complete fucking idiot for not reading all of Aaron's original post before responding. So, I'm *in* for a mini-dip game here and would love to get a full game together one of these days too. Hell, I would even GM one if we wanted to use one of the web sites [since the judges parse the orders and most will send you automated hate mail to correct your orders if you screw up the syntax]

quozl wrote:

That's the site that I was trying to remember earlier! Thanks quoz'! However, in order to GM a game, someone has to have an active account and have completed a game on the site. I played my games on a different system [and last played in 2004 or so], so I can't start a game here. Can you quozl?

And, I'm in for any form of Dip, from colonial to gunboat to classic [or whatever they're all called these days; I'll need to scurry off to reread the rules since it's been more than a few years, but I'm in!]

Other sites:
One of the two judge systems I used to use is here [the other appears to be gone the way of ASCII p0rn and other fond memories of the Intertrons before it became the Intarweb]: www.floc.net/dpjudge/ It's changed a fair bit since I last used it. Wow. Anyway, it's certainly wonkier than all that sexy web-based stuff but, it's free, has every diplomacy variant you could imagine, and handles press nicely. Aside from convoy orders, which I think are actually designed to be completely fucked up throughout your first few games [you have to list the WHOLE path the army will take in the order, which is counter to the shorthand used in regular ol' handwritten games], the commands are pretty straightforward and become 2nd nature after a bit. [Of course, you'll probably fuck up your orders in F2F games if you play online enough ;)]

www.playdiplomacy.com/ [nice looking and free to play classic dip; 1 euro/month to have access to a bunch of additional variants and features]

phpdiplomacy.net/index.php [appears to be free and has an interesting point betting system that doubles as a de facto ranking/opponent matching system].

Also, for all the rules editions and various maps: www.diplomacy-archive.com/diplomacy_rules.htm

[And just for you AAron: www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/stra...re_about_convoys.htm :)]
Last edit: 10 Jul 2009 01:55 by Dogmatix.

More
10 Jul 2009 02:52 #34395 by quozl
Dogmatix wrote:

quozl wrote:

That's the site that I was trying to remember earlier! Thanks quoz'! However, in order to GM a game, someone has to have an active account and have completed a game on the site. I played my games on a different system [and last played in 2004 or so], so I can't start a game here. Can you quozl?

Yeah, I can start a game there if you all want to try it on Dipbounced.

If not, I'm up to play on whatever.

More
10 Jul 2009 04:01 #34397 by Matt Thrower
I'd like to play.

More
10 Jul 2009 05:44 #34404 by Schweig!
I already DMed a Diplomacy game with my own little interface ( http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~muellsim/diplomacy/ ) and would be willing to do so again, however I absolutely have no time for this until about mid September or October, since I'm writing lots test next and move to England after that.

More
10 Jul 2009 09:58 #34423 by Aarontu
Cool. I'd LOVE to play if someone else ran a real game of Diplomacy. Since I am just sort of learning the game, and I've never actually played before, I can run a "mini" game here in the forum. I would use a smaller map and post a pic of it in the forum after each turn.

I'll look into the PBEM programs. Most of those sites are blocked while I'm at work, but it that looks like it will be easier then maybe we can do a F:AT PBEM game.

(If anyone else wants to run it, feel free) :)

More
10 Jul 2009 10:22 #34427 by lj1983
I'd be interested in playing...last PBF game i was in died out due to time constraints, but always interested in trying again.

More
10 Jul 2009 20:05 #34546 by quozl
If I counted right, there's 7 of us interested. We just need one more so we'll have someone to run the game (which I can do on dipbounced.com if you'd like).

More
12 Jul 2009 05:03 #34612 by Dogmatix
quozl wrote:

If I counted right, there's 7 of us interested. We just need one more so we'll have someone to run the game (which I can do on dipbounced.com if you'd like).

Excellent.

And, do we draw straws to see who suffers the slings and arrows of being Italy? ;)

More
13 Jul 2009 03:10 #34643 by quozl
Dogmatix wrote:

quozl wrote:

Excellent.

And, do we draw straws to see who suffers the slings and arrows of being Italy? ;)

Me first!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds