October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Arkham Horror PBEM

More
27 Sep 2010 17:50 #75185 by KingPut
Arkham Horror PBEM was created by KingPut
I downloaded the Arkham Horror Vaasal map this weekend. It looks quite good. There is some issues with the cards and FFG license but I think it maybe be possible to play AH PBEM. Has anyone tried this? Did it work out? Is anyone interested to trying this out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2010 01:51 #75224 by ozjesting
Replied by ozjesting on topic Re: Arkham Horror PBEM
Colour me interested...but wont be back from holiday for about 10 days. Will look back in than to see if there is more to know. But as an idea I am keen!

More
28 Sep 2010 04:09 #75227 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Arkham Horror PBEM
I'd be willing to give it a try, but I really can't see it working.

If we were going to do it, for obscure purposes of my own I might be tempted to put in some investigators from Dunwich & Innsmouth, if I can figure out how to hack the module.

More
28 Sep 2010 05:01 #75229 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re: Arkham Horror PBEM
Can't see it working, but i'd be willing to try.

More
28 Sep 2010 05:22 - 28 Sep 2010 05:32 #75231 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re: Arkham Horror PBEM
Let me see if I can post a sample map. I give up. Maybe the map is too big to post here.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2010 05:32 by KingPut.

More
28 Sep 2010 07:33 #75236 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re: Arkham Horror PBEM
ozjesting wrote:

Colour me interested...but wont be back from holiday for about 10 days. Will look back in than to see if there is more to know. But as an idea I am keen!

It'll take me a little bit of time to figure this Vassal Mod out so we wait a couple of weeks.

Where do live? We'll set turn order by time zone.

More
28 Sep 2010 10:22 #75257 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Arkham Horror PBEM
I'd be down for the second try--this first one will end in clusterfuck.

More
28 Sep 2010 10:39 #75259 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Arkham Horror PBEM
jeb wrote:

I'd be down for the second try--this first one will end in clusterfuck.

You betcha! I'm counting on it :P

More
28 Sep 2010 11:09 #75261 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Arkham Horror PBEM
Some games are better suited to PBEM than others. A Game of Thrones is an example of a game that is pretty good for PBEM, because so much of the game involves simultaneous effort by players, and the combat doesn't involve any back and forth. I love Arkham Horror, but I don't think that it will work well PBEM.

More
28 Sep 2010 15:18 #75278 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Arkham Horror PBEM
I'd be up for trying it, but as there's four already up and that's probably enough for the first run of it I'll wait to see if there's a second run.

More
28 Sep 2010 20:55 #75307 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Arkham Horror PBEM
I figured out the Vassal Mod.

This will probably end in a cluster frak but here goes it:

AH Vassal Modules

You'll need to open the "How to use the AH module"

Download the AH module and the AH base deck.

Basically, you'll need to create directory exactly how it says in the How to section. Than once you saved the AH module you can right click to add in the card extension.

Sorry we're just playing Base game but all cards from base game are in the extension except the common items don't have texts. I've planted the common item deck next to my computer so I can look up the info.

I think this will be played best by regular email since we're using Vassal. I'll send you all my regular email.

Randomly select characters from the base set any way want and post here(I rolled a 20 sided dice and counted down the characters in the stack).

We'll set up player order based on time zones:

Player #1. KingPut - Jenny Barnes
Player #2. Mr Skeletor
Player #3. MattDP
Player #4. Southernman

Ozjesting, Jeb, Shellhead - Alternates if this does self implode.

If somebody wants to pick an Ancient One from the base set be my guest or I'll pick one at random.

After I randomly pick common items and stuff I'll send the file to Mr. Skeletor so he can pick his stuff than on to Matt and Southernman.

I'll start of the 1st Mythos put out gates, monsters etc. but to share the responsibility and fun in later turns we can let the person having the last encounter pick the Mythos card and move crap around.

Each player can move, fight, pick encounters on there own and send out the email and Vassal the accounts of each encounter.

I'm open for any suggestions.

More
29 Sep 2010 07:02 #75332 by KingPut
Jenny Barnes is either luckiest or unluckiest person in the world. Luck goes up to 5 on her card but here is her items / skills:

Skill - Luck (+1 Luck checks)
Spell - Voice of Ra (+1 all checks)
Lantern - Luck re-rolls
38 Revolver - +3 combat
Elder Sign - Ok, now that's really lucky
No clues
$10 + $1 per turn

So potentially, I could end up rolling 7 dice x 2 for Luck checks or more likely I'll be give somebody my Lantern.

More
29 Sep 2010 10:00 - 29 Sep 2010 10:02 #75348 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Arkham Horror PBEM
Hope I haven't screwed things up (already) by jumping the queue with character selection but I was off work ill so thought I may as well keep things going. I did set myself as Player 4 as per Pete's time zone player order.

Anyway, my random number gave me Gloria Goldberg so this could be fun as I've only fought in previous games but her low strength means I'll probably have to learn some spells. But the two common items were dynamite which will help a bit (although I don't know by how much as the cards are blank and I can't be bothered pulling out my game at the moment Being a lazy, and sick, bastard I just got the text from the ArkhamHorrorWiki website).

Skill - Lore (+1 Lore plus bonus dice when spending a clue)
Spell - Enchant Weapon (Turns Physical Weapon into Magical weapon for this combat)
Spell - Dread Curse of Azatoth (+9 to Combat checks for this combat)
Dynamite (+8 Combat check (Discard after use))
Dynamite (+8 Combat check (Discard after use))
Clues (2)
$7
Ability - Psychic (For Other World encounters I can draw two and choose)
Last edit: 29 Sep 2010 10:02 by southernman.

More
05 Oct 2010 19:07 #76002 by KingPut
MattDP has set up his character.

Darrell the Photographer
Retainer: $2 per turn
Common: 45 Automatic
Unique: Book of Bob Dylan
Unique: Powder of Ibn-Ghazi
Skill: Fight
Only 1 clue but he has the special ability of drawing 2 Arkham Encounter cards.

I flipped the Ancient One: Yog-Sothoth

"Any Investigators Lost in Time and Space is Devoured"

More
12 Oct 2010 02:30 - 12 Oct 2010 02:34 #76503 by KingPut
Jenny Barnes (the Dilettante) Arkham Journal Day #1.

Michael McGlen (Mr. Skeletor) joined our group investing the strange happenings in Arkham. Mr. McGlen is an unsavory character which I would normal not associate with. I think he's some kind of gangster or bootlegger. But Gloria (Southernman) said he'd help us out. And we may need some help since me and Gloria are not accustomed to using things like Tommy Guns and Dynamite. Michael is a pretty strong tough guy (Stamina 7) but dumb as a door nail (Sanity 3) he's also a Marksman (re-rolls combat checks) and came with a Tommy Gun, Dynamite and an unusual Enchanted Knife of some kind. But the poor guy didn't have a clue.

Before we started our investigation I noticed Gloria (Southernman) smelled like hard whiskey (Gloria gave up a dynamite card and drew a Whiskey card). I'm kind of worried that Gloria's a hopeless drunk. Maybe, that's where she met that unsavory character Michael McGlen. Luckily, Darrell seem to know his way about Arkham.

Day 1st I woke up the next morning to the sound of a Temperance March through the streets of Arkham (Temperance Movement sweeps Arkham Mythos Card drawn). Then I saw Gloria run out of Velma's Dinner. She said the Temperance Movement was after her "medicine". She told me she was heading up the the Black Cave to hide her medicine. (Mythos - Any investigators with Whiskey must make a sneak check -1 or get arrested. So drunk Gloria needed to make a skill check or get arrested. Luckily, Southernman left his sneak at 2 so he rolled the 1 dice (fail), he spent 1 of his 2 clues and rolled a success. That would have sucked to have a character arrested on turn 1). I heard there was strange thing at the Witch House. Somebody said they even saw a Ghoul and a Warlock. I left the train station and headed down to a strange place called the unvisited Isle where an unusual dark man seemed to weaken both my sanity and stamina, Darrell went to investigate Independence Square and McGlen went to Police station to talk to police about the strange events in Arkham.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2010 02:34 by KingPut.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds