October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

TRASHDOME: MEQ vs. Starcraft vs. War of the Ring vs. Warrior Knights

More
30 Jan 2012 12:06 - 30 Jan 2012 12:16 #114633 by KingPut
Great job last week encouraging or shaming Uba and Engineering Al into playing Earth Reborn. This week we have a new challenge, MattDP has a quite a few games on his list and he's also in baby jail. Because we have so many games I've divided Matt's into two Trashdome. The under card with a mix of multi-player games and the feature fight with big ass FFG games. Votes will be counted on Friday.

Feature Fight - Big Bad FFG games:
Middle Earth Quest
vs
Starcraft & Expansion
vs
War of the Ring Expansion
vs
Warrior Knights & Expansion

Under card - Other multi-player games:
Catacombs
vs
Junta - viva El Presidente
vs
Nuns on the Run

Oh god. I'm so terribly guilty of this. I've made it my mission to get at least half of these played before the end of the year, and to not buy anything else that's not going to get played until I've managed that. So, the roll of shame is ...

Struggle of Empires
History of the World
Middle Earth Quest
Starcraft & Expansion
War of the Ring Expansion
Warrior Knights & Expansion

All bought due to temptation at a bargain prices. All too long to find time to play in baby jail. This is the biggest category by far and, sadly, none of these are going to see the table any time soon: if I had space in which to play them I'd probably pick something I already know and love to be sure of not wasting the time. I should probably trade or sell some of them.

Kremlin
Bootleggers

Bought with a passionate desire to play, put off both due to fiddly rules - now gathering dust

Junta - viva El Presidente
Nuns on the Run

Multi-player games bought to play at lunchtime at work, just before our lunchtime gaming group was reduced to two.

Illumanti Deluxe
When Darkness Comes
Gammarauders

Crap I got from Secret Satan this year & last that looks too interesting to get rid of :)

Catacombs

A review copy that I asked for, got delayed in the post and arrived about the same time as my youngest daughter and so got forgotten. I felt guilty enough about this that I ended up paying the publisher for it.

Railways of England and Wales

This would certainly have got played had I not discovered after getting it that I'd lost the rules to RRT. I couldn't find a copy online and I just - today - found one.

Last edit: 30 Jan 2012 12:16 by KingPut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, jur

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2012 12:32 #114634 by repoman
Undercard

Nuns on the Run = Ok, only ok.

Junta: Never played, can't say.

Catacombs: I've had a lot of fun with this. If you can get a picture frame to go around the board to make sort of a bumper it makes the game go from good to great.

Vote: Catacombs

Feature

Middle Earth Quest: A noble attempt but fell totally flat for me. Just bored me.

Starcraft: Never played, can't say

War of the Ring: Classic awesome game.

Warrior Knights: A good game but the best parts were used in a more fun form in Game of Thrones.

Vote: War of the Ring

More
30 Jan 2012 13:35 #114638 by Sagrilarus
Nuns on the Run for the opener, Starcraft for the main event.

S.

More
30 Jan 2012 13:40 #114639 by ThirstyMan

More
30 Jan 2012 14:19 - 30 Jan 2012 14:20 #114642 by lj1983
that's just the WotR expansion right? in that case, Starcraft. I think Warrior Knights is a better game, but Starcraft deserves to be played and appreciated. and its value is going up, so try it to see if you like it or want to sell it.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2012 14:20 by lj1983.

More
30 Jan 2012 14:24 #114643 by SuperflyPete
Warrior Knights for the main event, Junta for the opening bout.

More
30 Jan 2012 14:52 #114644 by Ken B.
Opener: I will say Junta for now, though I have Catacombs and I have a feeling once I played it, my vote would change. But Junta it is.

Main Event: All fine games, but War of the Ring is in a league all of its own.

More
30 Jan 2012 15:14 #114646 by lj1983
seriously? you guys all put a non-essential expansion over trying one of the many great DOAMs that FFG has put out?

More
30 Jan 2012 15:24 #114648 by jur
WotR is in a league of its own, being two player. Definitely top game of the 21st century. The scenario's are fun because of the timing aspect (fast n furious, slow and seditious).

Starcraft and MEQ, closely tied multiplayers, but I prefer the righteous concentrated aggro of Starcraft to the snarky co-operative questing of MEQ. But only just.

Warrior Knights I played long ago in the old edition. It recall it being epic then, no idea what it's like now.

So, assuming multiplayer is easier to arrange than a duel, my vote goes to Starcraft.

More
30 Jan 2012 16:16 #114654 by hotseatgames
Vote: Warrior Knights

It's the only one on the list I've ever played, but it's pretty damn awesome.

More
30 Jan 2012 17:21 #114658 by madwookiee

lj1983 wrote: seriously? you guys all put a non-essential expansion over trying one of the many great DOAMs that FFG has put out?

Yeah, assuming I'm reading correctly and this is just referencing Battles of the Third Age, then you have to go with Starcraft.

More
30 Jan 2012 17:32 #114659 by JoelCFC25
Vote: War of the Ring

...and it's not even close. Makes Georgia Tech 222 - Cumberland 0 look like a squeaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolvendancer

More
30 Jan 2012 19:30 #114664 by DeletedUser
Feature Fight
I haven't played MEQ or WotR. No desire to ever play MEQ but hope to one day play WotR. Warrior Knights is ok, but the pacing is off and I traded this one away after playing A Game of Thrones. StarCraft is the shit.

Vote: StarCraft

Undercard
Haven't played Catacombs or Nuns on the Run and probably never will. Neither appeal to me enough to buy. The new Junta is good fun and doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Vote: Junta: Viva el Presidente

More
30 Jan 2012 19:46 #114669 by Ken B.

lj1983 wrote: seriously? you guys all put a non-essential expansion over trying one of the many great DOAMs that FFG has put out?

If you look at Peter's list, it appears he left out the &...don't know why he would just put the War of the Ring expansion alone.

Still, a pretty bitchin' expansion.

More
30 Jan 2012 19:48 #114670 by Notahandle
As it's the only one I've played, vote: Starcraft.
But play it on it;s own first and add the expansion in later.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds