October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

TRASHDOME: MEQ vs. Starcraft vs. War of the Ring vs. Warrior Knights

More
01 Feb 2012 04:52 - 01 Feb 2012 04:56 #114879 by wkover
We played Warrior Knights a few times before we realized how slow-moving and anticlimactic it was. So we quickly switched to using the following variants: (1) base/road movement is 2/5 rather than 1/3, and (2) players receive immediate control of the first 100-strength city in which they place one of their nobles. We also play to 15-18 influence per player. But even with these variants, WK has lost its shine. The major problem is that combat is completely wonky, since winning always comes down to "victory" counts.

Vote: Middle Earth Quest for the main event. Of those listed, it's the only one that I enjoy and actually want to play again.

Catacombs is my choice for the upstart match. No contest, although I'm the only one in my game group who likes it.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2012 04:56 by wkover.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2012 09:33 #114890 by Matt Thrower

MattLoter wrote:

KingPut wrote: I think MEQ could work as a 2 player online game.

I'm down if you ever want to try.

Me too, especially if it ends up winning the trashdome. No idea what you'd use to moderate it though - there's no vassal mod or anything similar, is there?

More
01 Feb 2012 10:20 #114891 by mads b.
My vote goes to Starcraft which is plain and simple a brillant game. And don't listen to those that say the Special Victory Conditions are bad - they make for a tight game that finishes when it's peaking while at the same time giving everyone a chance to win. But I wouldn't bother with the expansion at first. It has some really cool things, but it's really not neccesary to enjoy the game.

Personally, though, I'm dying to try MEQ which I got this christmas. It just looks spectacular and looks to be a somewhat different take on the adventure genre.

More
01 Feb 2012 13:37 #114904 by kookoobah
I'd go with Wotr / Warrior Knights then MEQ then Starcraft. I really don't like Starcraft because of the theme. It's really old, and it just feels dated everytime I play it. Aside from that, the combat feels a bit forced (use the cards with the siege tank power for another unit? ehh..).

WotR is my favorite game of all time, but it's getting harder and harder to get 2player games on the table, so Warrior Knights, especially with the expansion gets the nod.

MEQ needs an expansion, but I find it pretty good. Solid, and a good adventure.

More
01 Feb 2012 14:14 #114911 by JoelCFC25

MattDP wrote:

MattLoter wrote:

KingPut wrote: I think MEQ could work as a 2 player online game.

I'm down if you ever want to try.

Me too, especially if it ends up winning the trashdome. No idea what you'd use to moderate it though - there's no vassal mod or anything similar, is there?

FFG only just barely tolerate modules of their games--all card text has to be removed for them to agree to it. Which kind of defeats the whole purpose, since you now have to manipulate things in your physical copy as well as in an online system.

If they would get off their ass and start developing iOS versions of stuff like they promised...what, 3 or 4 years ago? *sigh*

More
01 Feb 2012 21:53 #114979 by Hex Sinister

mads b. wrote: Personally, though, I'm dying to try MEQ which I got this christmas. It just looks spectacular and looks to be a somewhat different take on the adventure genre.

Yeah, it's really more of a strategy game. There are adventure elements but these are more peripheral. I think there was some player disconnect either based on how the game was presented or by fan expectations. It is NOT Middle Earth Talisman or Arkham-ish, etc.

As far as the co-op goes... I can take it or leave it. For me, MEQ is best as a two player affair with the FP player controlling 2 to 3 heroes. I've played it 4 player and it doesn't make the experience any richer, it just takes longer. If I'm doing a 4+ player game night, there are better games for that range (Starcraft for one!).

I think it's still a good strategy game and I've never had a bad game of it. There is no way this is going to be everybody's cup of tea though, moreso than others. Once you come to terms with what it is NOT, you may enjoy it more.

More
02 Feb 2012 00:01 #115004 by KingPut
Joel, good points about FFG and mods. The lack of support for Vassal or other on-line gaming is probably the reason I've only bought 2 FFG games over the last 2 years compared to buying about 8 GMT games.

Hex Sinister, good points about MEQ. I kind of look at Talisman, Runebound, Mage Knight, Descent as Adventure games. The goal in Adventure games is to kill shit and level up. MEQ, Arkham and Android are what I think of as Questing games where goal is get from place to place to pick up clues, favors, close gates and stop plots. Fighting skills, hit points, armor, etc. is the focus in adventure games. How to get from point A. to point B. without getting killed, going insane, getting corrupted or having somebody play a dark card on you is the focus in Questing games. I think there's quite a few people who love Adventure games that have been disappointed by games like Android and MEQ.

More
02 Feb 2012 03:07 #115020 by Space Ghost
Well, even as a Questing game, I think that MEQ falls way short of Arkham Horror, Android, and Tales of The Arabian Knights. MEQ seems to be too constrained.

More
03 Feb 2012 09:56 #115185 by Hex Sinister
KingPut, Arkham is so awesome because it has qualities of adventure and quest games. While you don't 'level' per se, you can certainly gain significant power by acquiring various stuffs. Plus you get to kill shit AND the combats are satisfying.

It's also very open, you can do what ever the heck you want (which is fun and adventure-ish). Not so much in MEQ. I suppose you can but... dicking around isn't worthwhile. Is that what you are getting at, Space Ghost?

More
03 Feb 2012 10:47 #115186 by Matt Thrower
Don't know when this is supposed to be closed/counted, but votes for WotR should probably be discounted - if anyone wants to change them please do.

I have to say that Repoman has demonstrated that in addition to being handsome and wise beyond his years, he is also extremely generous: he sent my wife a present in exchange for an extra night of gaming for me :) So when I get to cash that in I'm going to play whatever games win this thread. Your votes count.

More
03 Feb 2012 11:29 #115187 by KingPut
I'd agree with Space Ghost and Hex Sinister. Arkham is much more open ended and there's more killing and more stuff to get that's why I rate it as 10. With MEQ if you're really trying to win the game, you probably need to focus on killing the shadow players plots which limits your logical choices every turn. MEQ I rate about 7.5. I'll have the votes up in a couple of minutes.

More
03 Feb 2012 11:37 #115188 by KingPut
Feature Fight - Big Bad FFG games: The winner is Starcraft.

Middle Earth Quest 1
Starcraft & Expansion 10
War of the Ring Expansion 8
Warrior Knights & Expansion 3

Matt, with the votes tallied it looks like you should finally play Starcraft. The sweet spot for Starcraft is 3 players but it scales well from 2-6. I'd recommend playing without the expansion and only 3 players the first time through the game. Then add in the expansion and more players later. Others may comment about this.

If you can only get one person over the house maybe you should try the #2 game on the list with 8 votes, War of the Ring with the expansion. Siege towers and Ents are fun.

As a bonus, email if you want to try out MEQ online. The Vassal Mod for MEQ is excellent. The only thing missing is the event deck text. Just keep the event deck next to your computer.

Under card - Other games:
Catacombs 5
Junta - viva El Presidente 5
Nuns on the Run 1

Catacombs and Junta - viva El Presidente both received 5 votes. I'm having a tough time breaking the tie here. Both games play in less than 1 hour with 4-5 players. Both games are light and really fun. Both game are probably more enjoyable played with drunks like AndyfromKuiwait or Matt L. You should probably try both games soon. I'm giving the edge to Junta - viva El Presidente because it's more portable so you can easily take it to work or to a pub.

More
03 Feb 2012 13:49 - 03 Feb 2012 13:55 #115192 by Sagrilarus
I'll change my vote from Nuns on the Run to Viva El Presidente to break the tie.

Viva El Presidente feels like half a game to me because I like Junta so much. But it's a good game.

S.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2012 13:55 by Sagrilarus.

More
03 Feb 2012 14:37 #115199 by lj1983
I'll agree on playing starcraft without the expansion to start. There is a bit of information overload in the game, with all the combat being on cards, the research being cards you add in, many of which have text on them. unless your players are Starcraft video game players it is alot to take in. Then you add the expansion which adds more units, more cards more options, and adds the leadership options.

More
03 Feb 2012 14:54 #115200 by Mr Skeletor
I'd be in on an online MEQ game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds