October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Sopranos versus The Wire

More
04 Feb 2012 20:41 - 04 Feb 2012 20:43 #115312 by scissors
We were a bit behind on watching these two phenomenal TV series. If you've seen one, both, or neither (per trashdome rules) which one was 'better' for you?

A look at a mafia family in Jersey... or the drug trade in all its facets in Bal'more?

As an aside, who would win this showdown: Omar or Paulie Walnuts?

Keep SPOILERS boxed and hidden pls.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2012 20:43 by scissors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2012 21:00 #115315 by Black Barney
I've only seen Sopranos. I've tried Wire and can't get into it at all.

vote : Sopranos

More
04 Feb 2012 21:03 - 04 Feb 2012 21:04 #115316 by Jackwraith
The Wire, without question. It's the best thing ever put on TV (with The Simpsons in the 90s and Breaking Bad being tied for second.) The best thing about The Wire is that it wasn't just a cop drama, but instead tried to examine several facets of life in a major metro area and the problems inherent to them. The fact that techniques used by the drug gangs in The Wire were adopted successfully by real drug gangs is just kind of the icing on the cake for a show that attempted to be "true-to-life", while having fascinating characters with whom most viewers took a real interest. I enjoyed the Sopranos but there's really no comparison, IMO.

Omar in the undercard. Indeed.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2012 21:04 by Jackwraith.

More
04 Feb 2012 21:28 - 05 Feb 2012 18:52 #115317 by TheDukester
The Wire, with no hesitation. Best show in the history of television.

The Sopranos was also excellent, although more uneven. The Wire was consistently strong.

Vote: The Wire.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2012 18:52 by TheDukester.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
04 Feb 2012 22:01 #115319 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I'm the reverse of Barney. Love the Wire. Tried a couple of times to get into the Sopranos and failed.

Vote: The Wire

More
04 Feb 2012 22:18 #115320 by bfkiller
Definitely The Wire. Definitely Omar.

More
04 Feb 2012 22:22 #115321 by Msample
THE WIRE. Although THE SOPRANOS was quite good.

And Omar vs Paulie Walnuts?? Please. You come at the king and you best not miss. Omar easily.

More
04 Feb 2012 22:45 #115322 by Bullwinkle
I can't really argue with those who say The Wire is 'better', at least as a whole. And certainly, when it first aired, I would have said The Wire, no question. But over time, after watching and rewatching both series many times over, I've come to the realization that overall, I simply enjoy The Sopranos more. So:

Vote: The Sopranos

More
05 Feb 2012 02:28 #115327 by dragonstout
The Wire was *one* of the best TV shows ever. But

VOTE: SOPRANOS

was even better. Wire was more uneven (out of the five seasons, I felt like 2.5 were really great. Didn't think the first two seasons were that hot). And...the fucking Sopranos, man! Even if the Wire were consistently as good as the middle seasons, the Sopranos was the best! Tony was a better character than any character in the Wire, by far (yes, even Omar), and even a Wire fan can't argue otherwise.

More
05 Feb 2012 03:02 #115328 by Hatchling
WHile the Sopranos was extremely good and had some amazingly stellar acting (my favourite is Edie Falco...she blows me away), the characters on The Wire are so unique and complex, and each season adds more and more layers to them, and more characters too so that the whole series just snowballs into something with such an incredibly massive reality to it. WHen I think about the characters on the Sopranos, I recall some great moments and some really great tension and agony. But when I think about the Wire the characters feel way more vivid, their personalities so huge and distinct. I don't think I've seen anything better.

More
05 Feb 2012 03:08 #115329 by TheDukester

dragonstout wrote: ...and even a Wire fan can't argue otherwise.

Really?

This is me, arguing otherwise.

Honestly, that wasn't too difficult. Not sure why you'd say it couldn't be done.

More
05 Feb 2012 03:10 #115331 by Sagrilarus
I can't vote for the wire due to the damage it did to Baltimore from a public relations perspective (and the resulting financial losses from that). I appreciate that it was just a TV show and was trying to be edgy, but it did some real damage to the locals. Baltimore still has to fund programs specifically to counter its message.

Sopranos.

S.

More
05 Feb 2012 04:28 #115332 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Sopranos versus The Wire
Tough one! I thought about this from the perspective of, what if one of these shows was lost? Which one would I want to persist as an artistic and "historical" record of the early 21st century? In a 100 years, which is "worth more" on this metric?

Vote: THE WIRE.

More
05 Feb 2012 05:53 #115335 by Shellhead
The Sopranos failed to impress me, because I'm so bored by the Italian-American gangster stereotype. Sure, the show dug deep into the characters, but I'm just tired of that Godfather crap getting recycled yet again. Fuck the Sopranos, the whole thing started as rude ripoff of Analyze This anyway.

The Wire blew me away. I ignored it for a long time because I was also burned out on cop shows. But I finally gave The Wire a try and it was beyond great. It really was the best tv show that I've ever seen, and I've watched a helluva lot of television over the years. The Wire wasn't just about cop and drug dealers, it went beyond that, into a corrupt labor union, corrupt local politics, ineffectual inner city schools, even the local media. And it pulled it all together into a fully-realized dysfunctional society. The fourth season in particular dared to show the failing schools and how they connected to everything else: the cops, the drug dealers, the drug addicts, and even the political aspect.

VOTE: The Wire.

More
05 Feb 2012 06:34 #115336 by ThirstyMan

Without a shadow this is the better series. The comparison between the cop management and drug management of their respective chain of commands is excellent.

Omar is way cooler than anyone in Sopranos

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds