October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Sopranos versus The Wire

More
06 Feb 2012 18:11 - 06 Feb 2012 21:38 #115424 by scissors
Dukestar, I get what youre syaing but I didn't think it was so self-indulgent regarding the newsroom even given the series creator's past. Although I also have some familiarity with that environment, I quite enjoyed it. Nor did I think the plagiarism was far-fetched. It was the McNulty's 'plan' that stretched belief. But in a way it made the whole thing all the more memorable.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2012 21:38 by scissors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2012 20:02 #115432 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Sopranos versus The Wire
I'm from the greater LA area, and we would love for the noble cops to be the ones planting evidence and faking crimes. This did not test my credulity. This season had one of my favorite moments, when McNulty visits Quantico (making jerkoff motions all the while) and the profilers do their thing.

I also like the pressroom procedural stuff. Harkened back to "Woodstein" moments from ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN.

More
06 Feb 2012 21:30 - 06 Feb 2012 21:49 #115449 by wolvendancer

TheDukester wrote: I've spent most of my adult life in newsrooms of one sort or another, and even I had trouble maintaining interest in what Simon (longtime newspaper guy) was trying to say in that final season.

I'm not certain Simon knew. Setting the McNulty ridiculousness aside, my main problem with Season 5 is that the 'Big Bad Problem' of the season - the deterioration of the nation's newspapers - is in no way, shape, or form an equal societal evil to the War on Drugs, the complete devolution of the educational system, etc. It posits this golden age where newspapers were this scintillating beacon of free ideas and involved citizenship, and that doesn't really stand up to any kind of scrutiny.

I'll forgive him that one blip, though, seeing as he's given Homicide, the Wire, and now Treme.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2012 21:49 by wolvendancer.

More
06 Feb 2012 21:58 - 06 Feb 2012 22:10 #115453 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic Re: Sopranos versus The Wi
well, it's not necessary to equate all the ills: they go hand in hand in the series, which shows how they feed off of and use each oth
er. your statement about the free press being a beacon in the past in the golden age that won't stand up to ANY scrutiny is a stretch.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2012 22:10 by scissors.

More
06 Feb 2012 22:32 #115455 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Re: Sopranos versus The Wi

scissors wrote: well, it's not necessary to equate all the ills: they go hand in hand in the series, which shows how they feed off of and use each other.

I can see where wolvendancer is coming from in terms of the media being a less compelling topic, but I agree with you. Each season, Simon expanded the scope of showing the interrelatedness of different institutions (both legal and illegal) within Baltimore. Bringing in the media seemed to me to be as natural an expansion as the Mayor's Office or the education system in previous seasons.

More
06 Feb 2012 22:45 - 06 Feb 2012 22:46 #115457 by Stonecutter

scissors wrote:
One thing... haven't had time to google this - I know the final season was shortened - but what was the reason?

And did it fundementally change the wrap-up or just force the creators to be more economical in the story-telling?

My understanding is that it's a few things. Simon was, and I guess still is, a pain in the ass to work with, so HBO cut him off early. The show's ratings weren't that good and even getting season 5 was a bit of a miracle, and I think they were shifting resources to Generation Kill.

TheDukester wrote:
I've spent most of my adult life in newsrooms of one sort or another, and even I had trouble maintaining interest in what Simon (longtime newspaper guy) was trying to say in that final season. And there's places where he's just showing off; I have a hard time believing most of the audience was really that interested in the actual nuts-and-bolts of how a metro newspaper works. I might care about how a story goes from reporter to copy editor to slot editor to paginator, but I have to care; it's what I do. My guess is that most of the audience got a bit restless during the "aren't newspapers just fascinating!?!?" scenes.

Vote: Season 2.

I completely agree that it's way too inside-baseball but I don't care. I Have such a soft spot for that part of season 5. I'm sure nobody cares but I can't help but share this. I was actually working in the Chicago Tribune newsroom around the same time that Season 5 was airing (Tribune company owns the Baltimore Sun) and I worked with a division that existed to share content between the companies different assets. Everything they're talking about with buyouts and layoffs hit me so much harder, obviously they're industry wide but knowing even though they're TV characters they're representations of people who are your extended coworkers. Obviously it's a unique experience, but I'll always love that aspect of Season 5.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2012 22:46 by Stonecutter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
06 Feb 2012 23:05 #115463 by Shellhead
I appreciated the season 5 focus on the media for personal reasons as well. When I was in high school (on the school newspaper staff), I was torn between two potential career paths: law or journalism. I kept my options open during my first semester of college, while my dad was urging me to consider accounting, but two things happened that first semester to push towards accounting. Thanks to a mandatory freshman class on career planning, I came to realize that the career opportunities in both law and journalism were small compared to the number of students in both areas. So I went into accounting and stuck with it, but sometimes wondered what it would have been like to work as a newspaper reporter for one of the local daily papers. The fifth season of The Wire had the ring of truth (at least the media part), and made me relieved that I chose a different career.

More
06 Feb 2012 23:26 #115465 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Sopranos versus The Wire
Also, what have the minor character done for us lately? Where is Michael Imperioli now? Compare with this:

www.funnyordie.com/videos/33f6fde258/toy...e-with-lance-reddick

THE WIRE just keeps giving back.

More
06 Feb 2012 23:51 #115468 by Msample

jeb wrote: Also, what have the minor character done for us lately? Where is Michael Imperioli now? Compare with this:

www.funnyordie.com/videos/33f6fde258/toy...e-with-lance-reddick

THE WIRE just keeps giving back.

Michael Imperioli does tequila ads on TV, seeing as how his last TV series got cancelled pretty quick.

That was awesome, Lt Daniels doing Toys R Me.

More
06 Feb 2012 23:52 #115469 by Msample
Oh, and anyone who wants to check out an HBO series could do worse than watch Deadwood. After THE WIRE, the second best TV show ever.

More
07 Feb 2012 01:00 #115477 by Space Ghost

Sagrilarus wrote: I can't vote for the wire due to the damage it did to Baltimore from a public relations perspective (and the resulting financial losses from that). I appreciate that it was just a TV show and was trying to be edgy, but it did some real damage to the locals. Baltimore still has to fund programs specifically to counter its message.

Sopranos.

S.

I had a conference at Johns Hopkins last year and they organizers recommended we should stay on the Harbor (I stayed in some historic hotel). They also recommended that we take a taxi or walk to the conference (about 1.5 miles or so). That was really one of the most terrifying walks of my life -- besides trecking through East St. Louis.

More
07 Feb 2012 05:26 #115501 by wolvendancer

Space Ghost wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: I can't vote for the wire due to the damage it did to Baltimore from a public relations perspective (and the resulting financial losses from that). I appreciate that it was just a TV show and was trying to be edgy, but it did some real damage to the locals. Baltimore still has to fund programs specifically to counter its message.

Sopranos.

S.

I had a conference at Johns Hopkins last year and they organizers recommended we should stay on the Harbor (I stayed in some historic hotel). They also recommended that we take a taxi or walk to the conference (about 1.5 miles or so). That was really one of the most terrifying walks of my life -- besides trecking through East St. Louis.

No no no, you aren't getting it, SG. All of that horribly inconvenient truth written by that long-time native who worked with the local police and newspapers for decades did a lot of PR damage to the City. It's important to have your priorities straight.

More
08 Feb 2012 08:40 - 08 Feb 2012 09:44 #115580 by scissors
The thread had fallen off with no new entries, so I figured I'd call it. The result was pretty obvious in advance with The Sopranos getting a pretty decent beating from The Wire. Wadda ya gonna do? (That said, a lot of people still ranked The Sopranos as an excellent series, just not as good as The Wire, which some ranked as the best series ever aired).

The Sopranos - 5 votes

BlackBarney
Bullwinkle
dragonstout
sagrilarus
KingPut

The Wire - 14 votes

Jackwraith
TheDukester
Ancient_of_Mumu
bfkiller
Msample
Hatchling
jeb
Shellhead
andyinkuwait
TheExpandingMan
stonecutter
wolvendancer
mikko_r
hotseatgames

As for Omar versus Paulie, no contest. 3>0

jackwraith
bfkiller
Msample...

all backed Omar, with wdgrant saying Paulie at least had the smarts to split, or was warned or whatever :)
Last edit: 08 Feb 2012 09:44 by scissors.

More
08 Feb 2012 11:55 #115584 by KingPut
Enjoy the Wire. Season 2 and 4 were amazing. Maybe we should have added:

Bada Bing! the strip joint in Sopranos
vs.
Kavanagh's Irish Pub from the Wire

Interesting information about the bars in the Wire. Every time a police officer dies on the show, the rest of the police department throws a massive drunken wake at a bar called Kavanagh's Irish Pub. Usually, the cop is laid out on the pool table while the former co-workers give speeches.

Kavanagh's is based on an old-school cop bar called Kavanaugh's on West Madison Street near Maryland General Hospital. About 10 years ago, it was converted into Coconuts, one of the city's few lesbian bars.

Whenever The Wire folks needed to re-create Kavanaugh's, they went to the Sidebar at East Lexington Street and Guilford Avenue. The Sidebar has been featured in every season.

In reality, the Sidebar is more of a lawyers' bar than a hangout for cops. Most happy hours, you'll find a few suits sitting at the bar having a round or two before they head home for the night.

More
08 Feb 2012 13:34 #115590 by scissors
Bada Bing! the strip joint in Sopranos
vs.
Kavanagh's Irish Pub from the Wire

That would have been tough! I like that song they always play with the "I'm a free born man of the USA" chorus and I love whiskey :)

But I gotta go with the Bada Bing! It's a sleazy dive of a strip club but the girls are purdy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds