October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2708 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

MEQ vs Mansions of Madness vs Tales of Arabian Nights

More
12 Feb 2012 22:59 #116220 by KingPut
This week we have SGT Dave's list of unloved / unplayed games.

Top card - Adventure games:
Mansions of Madnessvs.
Middle Earth Questvs.
Tales of Arbian Nights

Arkham Horror was on SGT Dave's list but I didn't think anything had a chance against AH.

For the undercard we're sticking with FFG small games:
Chaos Maraudersvs.
Mag-Blastvs.
Red Novembervs.
Death Angel

Here's a little bit of background about SGT Dave:

Do you have a regular game group? I head up the Kyle Game Group Irregulars with Jeff "Jack Hooligan" White in Kyle, TX. http://www.meetup.com/Kyle-Game-Group/?a=mm1_l6 http://groups.google.com/group/kyle-game-group?hl=en

Describe who you game with most often? What they play, how often they meet etc.?Mostly, my 3 oldest kids, 10 thru 14. They play everything, but love fantasy themed Ameritrash the most: Dungeon, Talisman, Heroquest, etc.; Pitchcar with my 3 year old. Less frequently (about twice a month), I play with my group, which varies from Memoir '44, Castle Ravenloft, and Mordheim when we can get it going.

What's your favorite games?Memoir '44, Claustrophobia, Thunderstone, Summoner Wars, Battleball, Crossbows and Catapults.

What game, or style of game or aspects of gaming do you dislike? I HATE eurogames. I don't like games about the mundane. Games should never resemble work. If I have to do math of any kind, and write, or manage, or anything else that reminds me of work, I'd rather just go back to work and get paid for it. I also hate downtime: Sorry Mr Skeletor, Runebound sucks. People shouldn't have to wait so long to take their turn, and people should actually be interacting with one another. Watching someone getting beat by the game, as opposed to getting beat by me, deprives me of utilizing the trash talk I spent all week coming up with. What I dislike about gaming culture is that too many people take things too seriously. People have their sacred cows in gaming, and can't stand the fact that people have different tastes. Lighten up. It's this crazy cult-like gaming behavior that gives games a 8.0 rating before they even come out, and why we can't buy a copy of Advanced Heroquest for under $200.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2012 23:56 #116223 by ubarose
Play Tales of the Arabian Nights with your family. The first time you play, ignore the rule about sevretly picking how many story and destiny points you need to win. The objective is to create the most entertaining story. The story ends when a player with at least 15 story and destiny points combined returns to Bagdad. If you want, at the end you can vote on who had the best story. If your spawns drag out the game by not returning to Bagdad once they have 15 points, you know the game is a winner.

I don't feel strongly about any of the undercard choices, but I'll vote Red November because drunken gnomes are funny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, jeb

More
13 Feb 2012 00:49 #116226 by Egg Shen
If you're playing with the family I would totally say - Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's a great game that is very simple. There is very little downtown, plus everyone else's turn is interesting because you have no idea what the game will throw at them.

(Sorry Uba, I haven't been able to test out the Variant you posted yet! I will though.)

I will also give my vote to Red November for the second set of games. It's a silly co-op and if you can get into the theme its great. There might be better co-ops out there, but I have a soft spot for Red November. Drink some Grog and put out those fucking fires!!!

More
13 Feb 2012 01:48 #116227 by SaMoKo
Tales of the Arabian Nights. It just hits the perfect spot by being a game purely about having fun. So you'll like it if you like fun.

I didn't really like Death Angel at all. Red November was ok but Space Alert ruined all other coops for me forever. Haven't played the other ones, but I'll vote for Chaos Marauders anyways because I like the name. How could a game with that name be boring? It's impossible.

More
13 Feb 2012 02:01 #116228 by lj1983

SaMoKo wrote: How could a game with that name be boring? It's impossible.

very possible

More
13 Feb 2012 03:34 #116231 by OldHippy
I'm going for Mansions of Madness because only one person really needs to know the rules and the game is just too unique for me to ignore. TotAN never did much for me and MEQ I don't even want to see. But Mansions just fascinates me. It does so many cool things, most of the complaints about it are bang on but I just don't care once I'm playing because it's fun, cohesive, and unique. I don't feel like I'm playing any other game but that one which is a big plus for me.

The Undercard I'm not sure and won't vote.

More
13 Feb 2012 06:12 #116236 by DeletedUser
I haven't played any of these games, so I'm going to vote for the games that I want to play from that list, Tales of the Arabian Nights and Red November.

More
13 Feb 2012 09:22 #116245 by Hex Sinister
SGT. Dave, based on the style of games you dislike, you are probably not going to dig Red November. It's just a puzzly chore you play against nobody. There's not even any dice, cards, or variety, it's all one note. After a couple decent 'game newness' plays the evil spell lifts.

That's my anti-vote..

More
13 Feb 2012 09:26 #116246 by mads b.
I've only soloed Red November, but there really isn't much narrative to it. As Hex S. writes it's rather puzzly, and on top of that you almost always react rather than act. But it's cute and I could see it being more fun with more players.

But my vote goes to Death Angel. It's a blast and has loads of crucial decisions, epic moments, and tight spots.

More
13 Feb 2012 09:46 #116248 by Schweig!
Tales of the Arabian Nights. I need to play this again.

Death Angel shoots any other FFG small box game out of the water.

More
13 Feb 2012 10:15 #116250 by Mr Skeletor
Mansions is a blast as long as your not a rules lawer nor play with ultra competative people.
MEQ is getting a second wind with me. Recommended.
Tales of the Arabian Nights is about as awesome as reading the phonebook.

More
13 Feb 2012 13:31 #116258 by Hatchling

Mr Skeletor wrote: Tales of the Arabian Nights is about as awesome as reading the phonebook.

Totally. The best are the the names under the letter "X". That shit is HAWT!

but seriously:

Anti-Vote: Tales of the Arabian Nights

caveat: I find the the turn of events in Tales too fragmented and disjointed to support a 'narrative'. Still, I'm curious about what other people see in this game, so I'd probably try it again at some point to see if I experience it differently.

More
13 Feb 2012 15:08 #116262 by ubarose

Hatchling wrote: Still, I'm curious about what other people see in this game, so I'd probably try it again at some point to see if I experience it differently.

I picked Tales of the Arabian Nights because the primary game group was kids, rather than adults. Tales of the Arabian Nights is a choose your own adventure story with a race game superimposed on it. If you read those kind of books as a kid, you can understand what makes this a fun game to play with kids. It's not rocket science so you can tweak it as I described above, to be non-competitive if you have kids who are going through their "I must win every game or I will cry" stage. You can make it more competitive by using the variant I posted. It can replace bedtime story/TV time, and you can stop the game after a certain amount of time and announce "to be continued." Three years old is a little young, but I've played with 5 year olds, with a little adjustment for their shorter attention span. If his other kids like the game, it's something the older kids will be able to play with the youngest in a couple of years.

More
13 Feb 2012 15:15 #116264 by Ken B.
VOTE: Middle-earth Quest

Like Skelly, this got a second wind with me. First time I played it I was severely underwhelmed with the whole package (that's what SHE said.) I went back to it again with fresh eyes and really took to it; it was a matter of having the wrong expectations going in and allowing that to cloud my judgement. It's not War of the Ring, nor is it Runebound; it's Middle-earth Quest.

Love the deck system of travelling, fighting, resting, taking wounds, etc. I enjoy the tactical game of setting up threats and having minions and heroes dancing around them.

I've read folks say that Sauron wins a lot of games, but this is the first LOTR I've played where the balance seems to tip Fellowship side for me (in the default game state, the Fellowship wins; it's up to Sauron to change this.) Even so, it makes for a nice challenge playing Sauron.

My only quibble with it is that if the Fellowship gets the "collectively have five favor" secret quest, just hang it up; that one is nearly impossible for Sauron to stop, as that is a very, very low threshold.

Tales I have admittedly never played, and I don't dig Mansions with it's "Keeper better hold back, even though this is a competitive game" thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
13 Feb 2012 15:54 #116268 by Hatchling

ubarose wrote: I picked Tales of the Arabian Nights because the primary game group was kids, rather than adults.

I think I stand to learn a bunch from playing games with kids actually. I was just thinking about how neat it would be to play Dixit with kids just to see what their wild imaginations would do with the cards.

Anti-vote withdrawn.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds