October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

MEQ vs Mansions of Madness vs Tales of Arabian Nights

More
13 Feb 2012 17:12 #116289 by Egg Shen

ubarose wrote: I picked Tales of the Arabian Nights because the primary game group was kids, rather than adults.

This is also why I chose TotAN. With a younger audience a game like this can really capture their imagination. It has very simple rules and everyone could enjoy it. Plus it isn't very cut-throat and has this care-free attitude about it.

I certainly think Mansions of Madness is the better game, but I stick by my choice based on the group he would be playing with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2012 17:15 #116291 by jur
Top card - Adventure games:
Mansions of Madnessvs.
Middle Earth Questvs.
Tales of Arbian Nights

Three games, which all need to be played a bit different from advertised. The Keeper should appraoch MoM as a DM and not necessarily try to win. That also solves the rules questions. ToTAN is not much fun as a competitive game, but loads of fun with friends while you stack up the curses and failures. Probably brill for kids. MEQ is a great game, that I haven't got my head round yet. I go with Uba, for the kids: ToTAN.

undercard - FFG small games:
Chaos Maraudersvs.
Mag-Blastvs.
Red Novembervs.
Death Angel

Red November and Death Angel are coops, of which RN lighter and more fun, DA tougher and more serious. You might have players keep body count for personal involvement, but that could also become a distraction from support and Move&activate actions. Chaos MArauders is just that and a lot of fun for a more competitive crowd. Don't know MagBlast. Given the kids: Red Nov

More
13 Feb 2012 19:43 #116325 by Jackwraith
I think others have already given the proper advice in terms of gaming with kids, so I'm just going on comparison.

MEQ is ok but felt a little labored to me. Mansions is an RPG and a limited one based on the cards, so if the Keeper isn't going to try to win, you might as well just play Call of Cthulhu, the RPG, which just defeats the purpose of the game to begin with. So, my vote would be for Tales. It's different enough from most of what my two groups play that it's a nice change of pace, especially if alcohol becomes involved...

As for the undercard, Death Angel, full stop. Best small box game FFG has ever produced, even if I wasn't already a fan of 40K.

More
14 Feb 2012 01:14 #116370 by engineer Al
Tales Especially with the Uba variant to turn it into an actual game.

Mag Blast Gonna have to go with perhaps the silliest of the small games, but I love the way this game captures the feel of big fleet battles in space with so little overhead. Also the rule about attacks not counting unless you make a sound effect is just about the funniest rule ever written.

More
14 Feb 2012 17:39 #116444 by ubarose
Not voting here, but your three oldest also sound like they would like Mansions of Maddness. I'd flail through it with the 14 year old to nail down the rules. Once the two of you know how to play, the younger two could easily join in. I say this because MoM is not significanly more difficult than Heroquest, but in my experience the first time you play MOM you will screw up and you will spend a fair amount of time with your nose in the rulebook. 10 year olds typically have little patience for either of those sorts of things.

More
14 Feb 2012 18:52 #116451 by VonTush
Mansions is my favorite game, but there is a pacing to the game that needs a good DM/GM to control the flow of. If the Investigators go too slow or get delayed, the game starts to fall apart. If they go too fast, then the story elements don't line up and things become disjointed. When the game works, it works great though.

Tales would get my vote for your group though (I haven't played MEQ so no comment there). Everyone is involved because it is just a joy to hear the unfortunate events that happen to others. The game can get pretty funny. But using the term "game" is a very loose application. There isn't much you can do to control your destiny or the outcome. You just roll with the punches and see what happens. The game does tend to go long though in my opinion with more people but can be shortened.

As for the Undercard - I'm a big fan of Chaos Marauders. It is a good mix of old fashioned GW chaos, game and entertainment. If I recall I think you like the old school GW games quite a bit, so this should be a no brainer for you.

More
17 Feb 2012 11:54 #116785 by KingPut
The Votes are in and the winner is Tales of Arbian Nights.

Top card - Adventure games:
Mansions of Madness 2
Middle Earth Quest 1
Tales of Arbian Nights 8 (-1 anti vote) = 7

For the undercard, we have a tie. Try out Red November with the kids and Death Angel with your game group.

For the undercard small FFG games:
Chaos Marauders = 2
Mag-Blast 1
Red November 4 (-1 anti vote) = 3
Death Angel 3

I'll be at Prezcon playing Washington's War, Hold the Line and other good stuff next Thursday - Sunday so I'm going to wait a week to put out the next Trashdome. Unless somebody wants to count the votes for me next Friday.

More
17 Feb 2012 14:02 #116795 by SGT Dave
Thanks for the input.

ToAN has been sitting on the shelf for over a year now. Maybe it's time to crack it open. We'll try it tomorrow.

The rulebook for MoM is still on my nightstand. I have fallen asleep everytime I've tried to digest this beast of a manual. My younger daughter (age 11) is dying to play; she loves Cthulhu, and even made a Cthulhu-turkey for a Thanksgiving project at school.

We've tried MEQ twice and have been underwhelmed. A lot of set up, and it seemed to take about 40 minutes before we got a rhythm going.

We didn't have much time last night, so we played Star Wars: Epic Duels. But TONIGHT? Just traded for Super Dungeon Explore (already assembled), and everyone's pacing the floor till I get home from work, so we can bust it out.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds