October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Ravenloft vs Ashardalon vs Drizzt

More
23 Feb 2012 12:40 #117479 by jur
WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

This time the 'dome is a request by NateF , who wants to see the three sisters Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon and Legend of Drizzt compared. Mike Barnes , Pete Ruth and Matt Drake have given their opinions, how about you?

Nate, can you kick this one off?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2012 13:06 #117480 by schlupp
Very interested in the outcome of this one, as I haven't bought/played any of them, but would like to get one eventually. Based on theme only and what I read about it I would go for Ashardalon, I think, also keeping in mind that it might be more accessible to my kids ("dragons? yay!" compared to "vampires? eek!" and "dark elves! huh?").

More
23 Feb 2012 13:33 #117484 by Matt Thrower
Good call. Easy answer though:

Ashardalon because:
- proper old school dungeon crawling.
- campaigns.
- exceptionally high level of customisability.
- no stupidly overpowered poncy Dark Elves with a conscience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
23 Feb 2012 14:03 #117487 by san il defanso
Going with Ashardalon, since that's the one I own.

More
23 Feb 2012 19:09 #117530 by hotseatgames
I own Ravenloft. I wish I owned Ashardalon. Without having actually played it, all I've read points to Wrath fixing many of the issues I have with Ravenloft, which is still a fun game in its own right.

My biggest issue with these games though is that they only come with a single D20. One die to roll? Come on.... and that's why I love Tomb.

More
23 Feb 2012 19:14 - 23 Feb 2012 19:14 #117531 by Mr. White
Ravenloft.

Better theme, better scenarios, better villains, and the beastiery makes sense.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2012 19:14 by Mr. White.

More
23 Feb 2012 20:11 #117541 by Dair

hotseatgames wrote: I own Ravenloft. I wish I owned Ashardalon. Without having actually played it, all I've read points to Wrath fixing many of the issues I have with Ravenloft, which is still a fun game in its own right.

My biggest issue with these games though is that they only come with a single D20. One die to roll? Come on.... and that's why I love Tomb.

I couldn't agree with your first paragraph more. It encapsulates my feelings exactly, down to the same ownership issues.

Your second paragraph starts out a little meh (I don't need more than one d20), but then there must be some translation problem. At first, I thought it somehow said you like Tomb. I then realized that this is impossible and must be some sort of code. I only wish I was better at decryption to be able to understand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeletedUser

More
23 Feb 2012 22:57 #117567 by DeletedUser

More
23 Feb 2012 23:43 #117571 by Stonecutter

Dair wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: I own Ravenloft. I wish I owned Ashardalon. Without having actually played it, all I've read points to Wrath fixing many of the issues I have with Ravenloft, which is still a fun game in its own right.

I couldn't agree with your first paragraph more. It encapsulates my feelings exactly, down to the same ownership issues.

Your second paragraph starts out a little meh (I don't need more than one d20), but then there must be some translation problem. At first, I thought it somehow said you like Tomb. I then realized that this is impossible and must be some sort of code. I only wish I was better at decryption to be able to understand.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever read "I love Tomb."

More
23 Feb 2012 23:58 #117573 by DeletedUser
[threadjack]

Stonecutter wrote:

Dair wrote:

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever read "I love Tomb."

Unfortunately, it's not the first time that HSG has professed his love for this game:

Exhibit 1.
Exhibit 2.
Exhibit 3.
Exhibit 4.

Evidently, he wasn't clubbed hard enough on previous occasions.

[/threadjack]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

More
24 Feb 2012 09:46 #117592 by Matt Thrower

Jeff White wrote: the beastiery makes sense.

What? So the last time I looked at the Ravenloft campaign setting, Kobolds didn't feature highly. The monster line-up in Ashardalon makes a whole lot more sense than it does in CR.

More
24 Feb 2012 13:32 - 24 Feb 2012 13:33 #117597 by Mr. White

MattDP wrote:

Jeff White wrote: the beastiery makes sense.

What? So the last time I looked at the Ravenloft campaign setting, Kobolds didn't feature highly. The monster line-up in Ashardalon makes a whole lot more sense than it does in CR.

Yeah, the kobolds are a bit odd. I usually only play them in the Klak scenario, but I suppose Strahd could use a few small minions to pilfer from local villages.

At any rate, when you've got a cross section of CR monsters to deal with you at least get the sense of being in a necromancer's domain. The creatures by and large are either controlled or trained types and fit what you might expect in a vampire's castle.

Ashardalon's creatures are a random selection. The party could be attacked by an orc, a dark dwarf, a bear, a giant snake, a demon, a beholder and a gibbering mouther. Pretty random collection there. Though I guess that also would be more in line with old-school gaming..."What the hell are these creatures doing coexisting in this dungeon?"
Last edit: 24 Feb 2012 13:33 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
24 Feb 2012 14:48 #117601 by Egg Shen
I've played both Ravenloft and Ashardalon. While I will concede that Ashardalon fixes many of the issues in Ravenloft, its not the game I want to play more often.

I like the quests, setting and enemies of Ravenloft more. Plus if you have Ashardalon you can fix the one thing that sort of bothers me in Ravenloft - the treasure deck.

My vote is Ravenloft.

More
24 Feb 2012 15:42 #117613 by hotseatgames
I won't apologize! Tomb's not perfect, but it's got tons of unique monsters, tons of unique loot, tons of unique heroes.... and you can easily roll 14 dice at once.

My biggest problem with it is that it tends to drag. Seeding less crypts could solve that. We also skip the beginning where you choose what you want in crypts; it's much faster and more fun to just throw cards down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeletedUser

More
24 Feb 2012 15:52 - 24 Feb 2012 19:39 #117614 by SuperflyPete

hotseatgames wrote: Yeah I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever read "I love Tomb."

I love Tomb too. Use Cryptmaster rules with the base set, and you're all about it. What a cut-throat, backstabbity, fuck-all of a game. I really like it.

And I am SOSOSO vexed by this Trashdome.

Drizzt has the full package of coherent theme and playability, but it does have the wankier characters. Teh Loft is certainly the best of the lot in terms of theme, but the fact that it's missing all of the rules that make campaign play possible kind of kills that as the contender. Ashardalon's "choose your own adventure" system with the cards is the best of the lot as far as being replayable forever, but the bestiary just doesn't make sense with the theme.

For the first time...I abstain.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2012 19:39 by SuperflyPete.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds