October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

ACDC vs. Black Sabbath

More
10 Mar 2013 14:32 #146801 by Hatchling
Speaking of METALASFUCK, I present you this this awesome cover of War Pigs:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2013 15:06 - 10 Mar 2013 15:08 #146803 by SuperflyPete

scissors wrote: jeez, I love Highway to Hell, never realised Back in Black was held in such low regard.

As it stands, I wouldn't put either of these bands on today, but if it comes on the radio, I prefer AC/DC ... Sabbath is played out for me.

It's not that AC/DC is bad with Brian Johnson, it's just that Brian Johnson is bad. Angus, Malcolm, Phil and Cliff are just as awesome..maybe more..than ever, but Brian Johnson's lack of any vocal skill other than screaming into a microphone is a killer.

My wife and I were at my buddy's house and Back in Black came on. She said, he sounds like Bonn Scott. Then I put on Long Way to the Top and then Whole Lotta Rosie, and she totally recanted. I figure she's as impartial as anyone since she didn't know who the Rolling Stones were until maybe 6 years ago.

Bonn Scott was the best. He's like David Lee Roth...just had that star quality. I like Ozzy and all, but Bonn Scott never would've had a reality TV series. And he didn't need to bite heads off shit as a publicity stunt. And when RJD joined up after Ozzy got kicked to the curb, it just went downhill...
ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY REPLACE OZZY OZBOURNE.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 15:08 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, wadenels

More
10 Mar 2013 15:30 - 10 Mar 2013 15:57 #146806 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath
I don't mind Brian Johnson, he did do Back In Black.. but then what did he do? Fly on the Wall, Flick of the Switch? C'mon, it's not even the same ball park. EVERY album with Bon Scott is a Rock masterpiece (5 studio albums, a live disc, and a great early demo).. and the whole "they only did one song" thing is just stupid and comes from people who clearly haven't listened to them. Think about it... from Ride On to Rocker to Love Hungry Man to Problem Child to Gone Shootin... all of those songs are different and perfect.

And Scott's lyrics... cannot be touched by either Ozzy or Johnson.

"No I ain't doin much, doing nothing means a lot to me."

"Got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline"

"Got another empty bottle And another empty bed
Ain't too young to admit it And I'm not too old to lie
I'm just another empty head"

"I've got patches, on the patches of my old blue jeans"

He's a like a Rock n' Roll monk dispensing wisdom for the masses

After Scott died they did start sounding more samey, the ballads dried up, the theme's didn't change as often, the awesome back up singing stopped, the joke songs stopped, they sounded more professional and less like a bunch of noisy kids having a blast... but Angus Young had the best response ever to that criticism: "So Angus, What do you say to the critics who say you've put out the same album over and over again 14 times."

To which Angus replied: "That's complete bullshit! We've put out the same album again and again 15 times!"

edit: AC/DC might not have been quite as influential as Black Sabbath, but many bands have tried to copy them outright (cough: The Cult: cough).
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 15:57 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, Hex Sinister, wadenels

More
10 Mar 2013 15:38 #146807 by hotseatgames
I like more AC/DC than Sabbath, so I'll have to vote AC/DC.

More
10 Mar 2013 15:50 #146809 by Sagrilarus
I'd like to see the vote count broken out by age bracket when this is over.

I'd also like to hear which of the five different bands in question each of you are basing your decisions on.

AC/DC gets my vote because We've Got Big Balls may be the single best funny song in rock history.

S.

More
10 Mar 2013 15:56 #146810 by Bull Nakano

Space Ghost wrote: I can't believe that someone would consider AC/DC in the same breath as Black Sabbath.

Sabbath, all the way.

Sabbath.

More
10 Mar 2013 16:03 #146812 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath
I'm not a fan of Metal but

Vote: Sabbath

More
10 Mar 2013 16:40 #146818 by Michael Barnes
Whoa JJ- The Cult are WAY more AC/DC copyists than Sabbath copyists. Have a listen to Electric...

But I like The Cult more than AC/DC.

More
10 Mar 2013 17:04 #146820 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath
If that's not what I said, it's certainly what I intended to say.

More
10 Mar 2013 17:08 #146821 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath

SuperflyTNT wrote: My wife and I were at my buddy's house and Back in Black came on. She said, he sounds like Bonn Scott. Then I put on Long Way to the Top and then Whole Lotta Rosie, and she totally recanted. I figure she's as impartial as anyone since she didn't know who the Rolling Stones were until maybe 6 years ago.

So there are downsides to your magnificent wife?

More
10 Mar 2013 17:55 #146823 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath
Put me in the "no contest" column. AC/DC made great rock-n-roll. Sabbath invented heavy metal.

Vote: Sabbath.

Also, in RiffDome, Sabbath's best riffs are way catchier, heavier, and rockin-er than AC/DC.

Sabbath also wins in MoralPanicDome. Rumors about black magic and biting the heads off bats scared bluehairs more than that album cover with the horns.

More
10 Mar 2013 18:02 #146824 by engineer Al

KingPut wrote: Bonus points to Uba and Al if they can guess which daughter like ACDC and which daughter like Sabbath.

No vote from me, but I'll go for the bonus points. I figure you have to be well into the Hell of Adolescence before you can truly dig Sabbath.

More
10 Mar 2013 18:33 #146827 by MattFantastic
I can't believe so many of you philistines are backing ACDC...

More
10 Mar 2013 18:34 #146828 by tscook
Replied by tscook on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath
The only close to right answer is Black Sabbath but really you can go beyond the dad rock thing and find more interesting shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bull Nakano

More
10 Mar 2013 19:05 - 10 Mar 2013 19:06 #146831 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath
Sabbath... just heard it TOO many times. It was heavy then, never need to hear it again. I can still take older Ozzy in the car but highway to hell and BiB are albums I'll happily listen to once or twice a year. AC/DC - a hundred times AC/DC - never want to hear war pigs again.

Now can we have a trashdome of Black Flag against Minor Threat or Dead Kennedys vs the clash or something? :)
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 19:06 by scissors.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.356 seconds