October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

ACDC vs. Black Sabbath

More
10 Mar 2013 19:05 #146832 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath

MattLoter wrote: I can't believe so many of you philistines are backing ACDC...

I can't believe how many gullible people have fallen for the myth that Sabbath invented Metal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2013 19:21 #146833 by Michael Barnes
Now can we have a trashdome of Black Flag against Minor Threat or Dead Kennedys vs the clash or something? :)

Hell yeah- winner of the West Coast Division (Black Flag vs. Dead Kennedys) versus the East Coast champion (Minor Threat versus Bad Brains)
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
10 Mar 2013 19:25 - 10 Mar 2013 19:27 #146834 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath
Who cares who invented metal? That genre has a completely different meaning every ten years or so. If Black Sabbath first came out today, they wouldn't be considered metal at all, just a standard rock band.

Also, Black Sabbath gets my vote. At least until Barnes mentioned Black Flag. I vote for Black Flag now.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 19:27 by SaMoKo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, wadenels

More
10 Mar 2013 20:21 #146836 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath
Well, it was clearly T. Rex who invented Metal.

More
10 Mar 2013 21:01 #146837 by Sagrilarus
Can we do Glen Miller and Cab Calloway next time so that ALL of the people voting weren't alive when the actual event was happening?

At best Black Sabbath invented gloom rock. To say the Sabbath invented Heavy Metal is just kind of weird.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
10 Mar 2013 21:19 - 10 Mar 2013 21:41 #146838 by Space Ghost

JonJacob wrote:

MattLoter wrote: I can't believe so many of you philistines are backing ACDC...

I can't believe how many gullible people have fallen for the myth that Sabbath invented Metal.

I am assuming that we are saying The Kinks invented heavy metal with the first heavy and fuzzy guitar riff (in a popularized song) on "You Really Got Me"
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 21:41 by Space Ghost.

More
10 Mar 2013 21:45 - 10 Mar 2013 21:46 #146839 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath
Jesus Christ. AC/DC is just fine, but Black Sabbath is a complete band. Not just a fantastic guitarist and a few other guys.

So, Black Sabbath.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 21:46 by wkover.

More
10 Mar 2013 22:42 #146844 by dave
Replied by dave on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath
ACDC has its place, like played by a free tribute band at the county fair with cheap beer. Good times there, man.

Still, I'll choose twenty seconds of "Into the Void" riffin' over the entire AC-DC catalog.

More
10 Mar 2013 23:33 #146849 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath
Just like I don't give a toss for Back in Black whereas I've loved Let There Be Rock since my early teens, I couldn't care less for the later Sabbath but Paranoid hit me hard when I first heard it. Especially the live part stuck at the end of the shabby second hand CD which included a great version of Faeries Wear Boots.

So I choose early period over later period. Hands down

More
11 Mar 2013 04:17 #146865 by Shellhead
My bias is obvious.

Vote: Black Sabbath

More
11 Mar 2013 13:08 #146883 by san il defanso
Sabbath might be the more important band, but AC/DC is the one this Trashdome makes me want to listen to. And I like a fair bit of the Brian Johnson stuff.

You might even say I've been...thunderstruck.

(I'd punctuate that was a "YEAAAAHHHH" but we aren't talking about The Who. Yet.)

Vote: AC/DC

More
More
11 Mar 2013 14:28 #146900 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re: ACDC vs. Black Sabbath
The only areas where AC/DC shines are in catchy riffage and lighthearted rock fun. Unfortunately for them, Tony Iommi is a riff god, completely eclipsing Angus Young's "pretty darn good" in that department. Sabbath can be simple fun too, i.e. put on a popular classic like Iron Man or Sweet Leaf at a party and it will be enjoyed. Then there's also the other pros of Sabbath (that would be redundant to repeat) on top of that.

More
11 Mar 2013 15:29 #146919 by SuperflyPete
Bon Scott never had to change his name to sound cooler. Ronald Padanova had to change his name to the self-aggrandizing "Dio" to sound cooler.

I guess Bowie did it too, but RJD is no Bowie.

More
11 Mar 2013 16:16 #146940 by Michael Barnes
Sabbath certainly did not "invent" heavy metal. No one did. It was an accumulation of a lot of different influences ranging from Richard Wagner to Blue Cheer to Hawkwind to Deep Purple. I would say that Sabbath codified the language of heavy metal and its imagery, but they definitely didn't create it. At the time, they thought they were doing heavy, psychedelic, gloomy blues rock and that's really what you're hearing on the first couple of records.

The more important thing than the sound, to me at least, was the aura and the subject matter. AC/DC is party rock. Sex, drugs, and rock n' roll. Some vague renegade/rebel/outlaw stuff, but all of the above is pretty traditional rock stuff. Certainly nothing the Stones didn't completely cover in "Exile on Main Street".

But Sabbath...even though the Stones talked about the devil a couple of times and the obscure band Coven was writing directly about Satanic topics a couple of years earlier (and likely influenced Sabbath- they had a guy named Ozzy in their band too), that was really kind of the first time a band really went for an English gothic horror approach were evil is REAL and not just some kind of mascot for misbehaving. The song "Black Sabbath" demonstrates this better than anything. But more than that, Sabbath was one of the first bands to do songs about things like nuclear war, armageddon, and the politics surrounding them. They also had science fiction concepts ("Symptom of the Universe", "Iron Man") and their coverage of drug topics was definitely darker, grimmer, and more realistic. "Sweet Leaf" notwithstanding.

Look, AC/DC is a fine band. They've got at least one album's worth of GREAT rock songs, but everything else...umm...OK. Their singles were unstoppable, virtually every one including their later stuff like "Thunderstruck" and "Who Made Who" were brilliant rock n' roll. But really, once you get past "Whole Lotta Rosie", "TNT", "Back in Black", "Highway to Hell" and so on...it's all kind of lesser versions of similar songs. Unpretentious, sure. "Don't fix it if ain't broke", yeah. But ultimately, AC/DC does one thing extremely well.

But Sabbath, at least up until Dio, has so much more dynamism, power, and range. Ironically, they were just as working class as AC/DC but they wound up doing far, far more sophisticated music. Listen to "Symptom of the Universe"- they pretty much create the template for Discharge, Metallica, and Slayer right there in the opening riff. But then it falls into this jazzy acoustic thing.

I pretty much never want to put on an AC/DC record other than a greatest hits...but I'll listen to the first five Sabbath records straight in a row.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, OldHippy, Dair

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds