October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Music: The Smiths vs. R.E.M.

More
18 Mar 2013 17:12 #147851 by Mr. White
I don't have a hate on for REM, but I sorta see where Matt is coming from. When I think REM I think milquetoast, but hey I'd vote REM over They Might Be Giants, so they aren't quite at the bottom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2013 17:29 #147855 by Juniper

Gary Sax wrote: REM as shitty dad rock? What? I could see lots of criticism of REM, but to me it'd be hard to call "Murmur" shitty dad rock.

That's the thing. If you got on the REM train with Murmur, then you'll remember them as novel, creative, and promising College Rock. In that mid-80s context, they are kind of respectable.

Some bands, though, are destined to be hugely popular, and then kind of fade away. In retrospect, REM had the staying power of Prog Rock. We're just going to forget about them. Radio Head and U2 and Wilco are headed for the same memory hole, IMO. See you in Supertramp-land, guys.

Vote: Smiths
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
18 Mar 2013 17:29 - 18 Mar 2013 17:30 #147856 by Gary Sax
Oh, I see where you're going. Yes, the Green/Automatic For the People REM could be construed as dad rock.

Like I said, they had like 3 separate, totally different musical careers. Which I think is kind of amazing.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2013 17:30 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
18 Mar 2013 17:41 #147858 by san il defanso

Jeff White wrote: I don't have a hate on for REM, but I sorta see where Matt is coming from. When I think REM I think milquetoast, but hey I'd vote REM over They Might Be Giants, so they aren't quite at the bottom.

Boy, today I've learned that this website hates pretty much every band I love.

As to Juniper's comments, I actually have just gotten into REM over the last couple years. I never loved their singles, but digging into the 1980's stuff gave me a huge appreciation for their work. So I wasn't with them from the beginning or anything.

More
18 Mar 2013 17:59 #147859 by jeb

Gary Sax wrote: Oh, I see where you're going. Yes, the Green/Automatic For the People REM could be construed as dad rock.

Like I said, they had like 3 separate, totally different musical careers. Which I think is kind of amazing.

I think you could compile a greatest hits record of R.E.M that could hang out with a Smiths LP. I'd go with the aforementioned "Orange Crush," throw in some "Driver 8," maybe a dash of "It's the End of the World as We Know It" and some "Radio Free Europe." But it's a struggle to match up against The Smiths.

Case in point: R.E.M doesn't even do satire right. "Shiny Happy People" is a poppy catchy little ditty that makes fun of lite airy music. Right? Right? Or is it--just a fucking pop song to throw on the pile with all the others? The Smith's did this too: "Girlfriend in a Coma." Catchy little ditty about a GIRL IN A COMA. That's how you do it.

I am sure there will be much handwringing as folks try to come up with reasons to listen to Monster, but please. R.E.M.'s best stuff came out 30 years ago and against The Smiths, it's not even in a same ballpark.

I know, I know, it's really serious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattFantastic

More
18 Mar 2013 18:25 #147861 by SaMoKo
Smiths vs Pixies might have been a better match up, but even then I'd go with The Smiths.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattFantastic, jeb

More
18 Mar 2013 18:29 #147862 by hotseatgames
Vote: The Smiths

What a knife vs. a gun scenario. That's like asking which you'd prefer, a hot fudge sundae or being eaten by a shark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave

More
18 Mar 2013 18:30 #147863 by Michael Barnes
The End of the World as we Know It is a catchy jam, but pretty much fuck everything else REM has done.

Yeah, but don't you know that "...but "TEOTWAWKI" is pretty good!" is the rallying crying of the REM apologist. It's not their One Good Song. EVERY song they've done is crap, including that one.

REM embodies the absolute WORST, most LAUGHABLE traits of indie/alternative/college rock. Whiny, pretentious, self-obsessed,not rock n' roll at all, and sold way the fuck out by 1988. All of the "changes" apparent in "Out of Time" were the shift from college rock to MTV and dad rock. "Losing My Religion" may as well be about a 1980s indie rocker selling out and putting on a suit and tie to work in a corporate job. Jesus fuckin' christ, "What's the Frequency Kenneth"? Egads. "Man in the Moon" is almost as bad as "The Living Years" in my book. And THAT is the worst song ever written.

The Smiths are smart, funny, pretentious (but in a good way), jangly (but in a good way), they rock, and every single member of the band is triple what their REM analogues are. Come on, can you really compare anybody in that godforsaken band to Johnny god damn Marr? JOHNNY MARR?

Michael Stipe to MORRISSEY? Morrissey is like the Frank Sinatra of our generation. Michael Stipe is like this whiny, frail, akward prat. The only thing good Stipe's ever done was to open a really awesome restaraunt called The Grit in Athens. Morrissey has done tons of awesome stuff, including lots of great solo records. Any of Morrissey's solo albums are better than anything REM has ever done.

I would feel so lame listening to REM. It would be about like listening to Supertramp at this point. The comment about U2 and Radiohead going in that direction is dead on.

Athens music blows. I hate the B-52s, Drivin' & Cryin', and Pylon just about as much as I hate REM>
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattFantastic

More
18 Mar 2013 18:44 #147866 by san il defanso
Geez, this thread has become a referendum on every "mainstream" band in the last 30 years. I know you guys like the Smiths and all (I do too), but to say that REM, U2 and Radiohead will be forgotten in 20 years? C'mon, that's just hipster crap. You guys have your heads so far up your own butts that anyone who likes remotely mainstream music on this website is going to feel like a total tool. Like me, for example.

Terms like "dad rock" and "I feel so lame" are the rallying cries of people who are way the heck too obsessed with how their taste in popular culture looks to other people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Bullwinkle, Dair, wice, QPCloudy, engineer Al

More
18 Mar 2013 18:49 - 18 Mar 2013 18:50 #147867 by Mr. White
There ya go, keep that chin up, Nate!
Maybe REM fan isn't milquetoast...

This is TRASHDOME!!
Last edit: 18 Mar 2013 18:50 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
18 Mar 2013 18:51 #147869 by Gary Sax
Every song that REM has written is crap? Radiohead is going to be forgotten and you'll feel lame listening to them? I'm going to suddenly think that OK Computer sucks? Man, whatever. I think we'll definitely have to agree to disagree on that note...

haha, this is where discussing music preferences gets you!

More
18 Mar 2013 18:52 #147870 by QPCloudy
Whatever. I'm going to grab an eight ball and listen to orange crush on loop. REM!

More
18 Mar 2013 18:56 #147871 by SaMoKo

San Il Defanso wrote: Geez, this thread has become a referendum on every "mainstream" band in the last 30 years. I know you guys like the Smiths and all (I do too), but to say that REM, U2 and Radiohead will be forgotten in 20 years? C'mon, that's just hipster crap.

I wouldn't go so far as to compare REM or Radiohead with U2. That's just too harsh. U2 was in their own league of bland music.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!, Dair

More
18 Mar 2013 18:59 #147873 by MattFantastic
I do dig on the first couple Radiohead records. Karma Police is great.

More
18 Mar 2013 19:02 - 18 Mar 2013 19:39 #147874 by Schweig!
I've tried listening to the Smiths many times, but always called the attempts off due to Morrisey's overtly whiny vocals. But this thread tempted me to try again, starting again with my favourite songs of theirs: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. And what can I say, now I like them, at least The Queen Is Dead. So Vote Smiths

As someone born in the 80s, I only know REM as radio pop. Maybe it would be different if I experienced the band when they were alternative, but since I didn't, I don't see what's special about them. They've got a few good tracks, I give 'em that though.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2013 19:39 by Schweig!.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds