October 09, 2023
2487 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Metaldome- Blizzard of Ozz versus British Steel

More
18 Mar 2013 19:12 #147877 by Michael Barnes
With the REM versus Smiths Trashdome pretty much a non-starter since REM is so terrible and the Smiths are so great, let's shift gears.

1980 English metal records. Two of the best ever, but there can be only one survivor. I give you Ozzy Osbourne's "Blizzard of Ozz" versus Judas Priest's "British Steel".

One features "Crazy Train", one of the best pop metal songs ever written, and the devastatingly great "Mr. Crowley. And let's not forget the notorious "Suicide Solution". It rides on Randy Rhoads' absolutely stunning guitar virtuosity, filled with exciting riffs and surprisingly tasteful solos and lead fills. The Blizzard of Ozz band- Ozzy's best ever other than Black Sabbath- sounds great as well.

But in the other corner, Rob Halford delivers another astonishing vocal performance over the twin lead attack of Tipton and Downing with lead singles "Living After Midnight" and "Breaking the Law" with strong album tracks like "Steeler", "Rapid Fire" and "Metal Gods" rounding out the package. It's a definite peak for the band, their more vicious and darker tendencies from records like "Stained Class" and "Sin after Sin" refined into a more accessible- but no less pure metal- listening experience.

My vote is with "British Steel". I think it's a better record overall, with stronger tracks between the singles. But it's hard to argue with Rhoads and what is almost definitely Ozzy's best work outside of Sabbath. What's your vote?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2013 19:21 #147879 by Bull Nakano
British Steel, Ozzy's never done it for me (well except when I was a teenager).

More
18 Mar 2013 19:28 - 18 Mar 2013 19:30 #147884 by dave
Priest gets the edge because rock that doesn't take itself too seriously ages pretty well. But the '87 live album sufficiently covers the biggest hits from Steel.

Blizzard was one of my very first albums. I remember bringing it to junior high for music class (you know, where the teacher analyzes the composition of your records?), and I got an all-too-temporary pass from my schoolbus bully, who was stunned to see the neighborhood brainy spaz bring in something that was so edgy for that time and place. However, Blizzard was pretty much shit aside from the stellar single ("I Don't Know" was a decent opener). Diary of a Madman was a much stronger album.

So a push from me. Edit: Voting Blizzard because of "Crazy Train". The riff! The solo! The "ai, ai, ai, ai..."!
Last edit: 18 Mar 2013 19:30 by dave.

More
18 Mar 2013 19:35 #147886 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, that's something that I think is sometimes underappreciated about Priest...not taking it too seriously. Frankly, I think that has a lot to do with Halford's sexuality. He totally got the camp theatricality of it, and playing a character in this ultra-male band in an ultra-male genre fit him like a proverbial glove.

But Ozzy always tried to put over this aura of verisimilitude...almost like wrestling kayfabe or something. The mystic, mythical aura...I appreciate that too. How awesome was that in elementary school to hear about all these horrid things he did at his concerts? I remember my dad, who really didn't care anything at all about what I listened to, getting upset because I had Blizzard of Ozz on tape...he said (so out of touch) "You're not gonna listen to that Obsy Obsbourne." And then he gave me a lecture about how it was all fake and how these bands all wore wigs and looked normal. I dared him to approach Metallica and pull of their wigs. Oddly, the only other band he ever got weird about me listening to was Faith No More.

But yeah, I do think British Steel is the best _album_ of the two, Blizzard's album tracks aren't nearly as memorable and it just doesn't hang together as well. I still think it's a great record, but yeah, Diary might be a better album overall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Mar 2013 19:38 #147888 by scissors
Blizzard of Ozz. Before it was remastered by Sharon and others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
18 Mar 2013 19:40 - 18 Mar 2013 19:41 #147889 by OldHippy
Preist is more self aware and intelligent. No doubt about that. But Rhoads had this kind of blind faith that was incredibly charming. His playing is exactly what that old tennis racket in your bedroom was meant for.

If Ozzy helped create a certain kind of metal with Sabbath he did it again with Rhoads. Because of Rhoads... but that's still a great achievement.

Vote: Blizzard of Oz
Last edit: 18 Mar 2013 19:41 by OldHippy.

More
18 Mar 2013 20:11 - 18 Mar 2013 20:34 #147892 by Grudunza
Blizzard of Ozz by a mile. I was a fan of both Priest and Ozzy back in the day, but Judas Priest hasn't aged that well, whereas those first two Ozzy solo albums are still very listenable today. Another great one from that album is "Goodbye to Romance," a painfully beautiful ballad. Kind of in the vein of Sabbath's "Changes," but more melodic. Randy Rhoads was not only a great guitarist, but also a solid songwriter, and it's amusing to think that his talent was almost wasted in Quiet Riot. Yikes.

Screaming for Vengeance might have been a tougher choice... I think that's a more polished and epic album, and "Another Thing Coming" is sort of in the realm of "Crazy Train" as an iconic metal anthem (though again, I think "Crazy Train" holds up better).
Last edit: 18 Mar 2013 20:34 by Grudunza.

More
18 Mar 2013 21:37 #147901 by Shellhead
I'm only familiar with a few songs from Judas Priest, but I found them repetitive and monotonous during my peak metal years. My favorites were Deep Purple and Ozzy Osbourne, and Ozzy was my first concert. I also had a second-hand Blizzard of Ozz t-shirt that I wore until it died of a tragic bleach accident.

Vote: Blizzard of Ozz

More
18 Mar 2013 22:44 - 18 Mar 2013 22:46 #147909 by NeonPeon

Michael Barnes wrote: But in the other corner, Rob Halford delivers another astonishing vocal performance over the twin lead attack of Tipton and Downing with lead singles "Living After Midnight" and "Breaking the Law" with strong album tracks like "Steeler", "Rapid Fire" and "Metal Gods" rounding out the package. It's a definite peak for the band, their more vicious and darker tendencies from records like "Stained Class" and "Sin after Sin" refined into a more accessible- but no less pure metal- listening experience.

Sorry but "Sad Wings of Destiny" was Priest's definite peak!

I'm not a fan of solo Ozzy but this is the one album I'll listen to as it's got four or five good-to-stellar tracks. Sorry but shit like "I Don't Know" and "No Bone Movies" are just that - shit - and I don't know why "Goodbye to Romance" is so popular among fans. That said I can't get into British Steel or most of 80s Priest in the least bit - I'd rather listen to their 70s material or Painkiller.

Vote: Blizzard of Ozz (even though I rate it an unenthusiastic 7)
Last edit: 18 Mar 2013 22:46 by NeonPeon. Reason: typo

More
18 Mar 2013 23:07 #147910 by Dogmatix
It's harder to pick if you put the respective period live albums head to head. Tribute probably wins for being perhaps the best "Best of" for early solo Ozzy along with the whole air guitar vibe JJ mentions. But for the studio albums, it's British Steel hands down. It's just a better record end-to-end; Blizz is a killer 45, but a tedious LP.

More
19 Mar 2013 10:02 #147929 by Schweig!

Bull Nakano wrote: British Steel, Ozzy's never done it for me (well except when I was a teenager).

You were molested by Ozzy when you were a teenager?

More
19 Mar 2013 13:09 #147939 by Sagrilarus
This is the part where Frank comes in and tells us we're being assholes for spending all our time validating ourselves by declaring our superior taste in music and box covers.

Who's assigned to cover Frank's position this week?

S.

More
19 Mar 2013 14:01 - 19 Mar 2013 14:02 #147946 by wkover
Blizzard of Ozz. British Steel puts me to sleep.

I'm not a fan of Judas Priest in general, frankly. Though Unleashed in the East is amazing.
Last edit: 19 Mar 2013 14:02 by wkover.

More
23 Mar 2013 02:13 #148417 by Columbob
This is a pretty tough choice, but I think I'll go with Blizzard. Blizzard is considered Ozzy's best (although in my book Diary gives it a run for its money), while British Steel is just Priest at their most commercially accessible (United, Living After Midnight, Metal Gods).

Grudunza wrote: Another great one from that album is "Goodbye to Romance," a painfully beautiful ballad. Kind of in the vein of Sabbath's "Changes," but more melodic.

Both Changes and Goodbye to Romance put me right to sleep. They're pretty much the only songs I'll skip! That duet Ozzy put out with his daughter interpreting Changes was so crappy...

Bowie Changes >>>> Sabbath Changes

Dogmatix wrote: It's harder to pick if you put the respective period live albums head to head. Tribute probably wins for being perhaps the best "Best of" for early solo Ozzy along with the whole air guitar vibe JJ mentions. But for the studio albums, it's British Steel hands down. It's just a better record end-to-end; Blizz is a killer 45, but a tedious LP.

That's a pretty funny statement considering that Tribute is basically Blizzard live plus a couple of other songs.

More
23 Mar 2013 03:09 - 23 Mar 2013 03:15 #148420 by Dogmatix

Columbob wrote:

Dogmatix wrote: It's harder to pick if you put the respective period live albums head to head. Tribute probably wins for being perhaps the best "Best of" for early solo Ozzy along with the whole air guitar vibe JJ mentions. But for the studio albums, it's British Steel hands down. It's just a better record end-to-end; Blizz is a killer 45, but a tedious LP.

That's a pretty funny statement considering that Tribute is basically Blizzard live plus a couple of other songs.

Not that funny if you're somebody who finds the live versions a whole lot more vibrant than the sludgy studio versions. Ozzy studio albums are rather similar to Grateful Dead studio albums... they're just a chance to learn the words. But after you've done that, why would you ever want to listen to them again when there are vastly superior live versions available? That's how I feel about Blizz--the songs just pop better in the live setting. The 'Dome, though, was about the 2 studio records in question.

Oh, but I do agree that Ozzy ballads are criminally dull. Nothing can save Changes from being a complete whine-fest.

Sagrilarus wrote: This is the part where Frank comes in and tells us we're being assholes for spending all our time validating ourselves by declaring our superior taste in music and box covers.

Who's assigned to cover Frank's position this week?

S.

I was on the schedule this week, but I swapped shifts with Andy so I could go see KMFDM. He's supposed to close tonight...
Last edit: 23 Mar 2013 03:15 by Dogmatix.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.066 seconds