October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Apples vs Oranges

More
30 May 2013 12:25 #153168 by ChristopherMD
Everyone's always talking about comparing apples to oranges. So its time we did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, Bullwinkle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2013 13:45 #153176 by repoman
Apples:

Pro's:

Tasty - Granny Smith Apple, simply delicious
Good for cooking - can be made into many things from pie to cider.
Suitable as Projectiles - bean somebody with a crab apple and hear 'em howl.
Useful in Sucking Up - Here Teacher, ignore how stupid I am and give me a good grade anyway...I got you an apple.

Con's:

Picking them up - Had an apple tree in our yard as a youth. Picking up the fallen apples was a pain in the ass and they were always swarming with bees.
The Core - Not good for much.

Oranges

Pros:

Tasty - They are pretty darn delicious
Awesome Smell - The smell of an orange grove in full blossom is one of the best smells there is.
Useful in Bludgeoning - A towel full of oranges can be a good tool in insurance fraud or so Bobo Justus would have us believe.

Cons:

Not Many Uses: Outside of using the zest, some jam, and an occasional fruit salad...not much cooking you can do with an orange.
Dangerous to Use as a Bludgeon: Used wrong in the fabrication of an insurance claim you'll never shit right again (Again via Bobo Justus)
That Damn Peel - Can't eat an orange without having six cubic feet of peel left over when your done.

Vote: Apple

More
30 May 2013 14:07 #153180 by Da Bid Dabid

repoman wrote: Tasty - Granny Smith Apple, simply delicious

Granny Smiths are the world's most overrated apple, good for caramel apples though.

Honeycrisp and Pink Lady dominate for eating, Braeburn or Jonagold in a pinch. Northern Spies for baking, Macintosh for applesauce, and if you're gonna make cider use at least 3 different varieties (this is where you can finally get rid of your Golden Delicious and other lesser apples).

Please don't ever talk about horrid Red Delicious.

Oranges are damn good, but can't stand up to the apple powerhouse.

Vote: Apple

More
30 May 2013 14:18 #153181 by Legomancer
This is a tough one. If you go with flavor, the orange can't be beat. Orange soda, orange juice, orange candy, orange chicken...orange has it nailed down.

But the orange itself...it's got problems. you've got an inedible skin, a bunch of veiny bullshit inside, it's a goddamn primadonna as far as where the damn thing will grow. So we turn to the apple. Grows all over the place, you can eat almost the whole thing, bunch of varieties.

I'm not going to take the easy way out and say "it depends on the usage". I'm gonna pick one. And I have to go with...I have to go with orange. I like apples a lot but I couldn't handle no orange flavor anywhere.

More
30 May 2013 14:33 #153185 by Black Barney
In terms of juice ORANGE wins by a mile. But straight-up fruit v fruit? You have to give it to APPLE.

When they're right off the tree, APPLE is always better.

The ONLY orange that is better than any apple is what my family calls Christmas Oranges. We call them that cuz they're only available around XMAS. I think they're clementines. Really easy to peel. You grab three and sit in front of the TV and peel them and enjoy them. That's one of my favourite fruits, certainly better than any apple. But every single other orange and type of orange is a bitch to peel and not worth the effort. I'd rather peel a grapefruit cuz then at least I get a huge delicious piece of citrus out of it (I prefer grapefruits anyway).

So yeah, final vote APPLE. I think the real deal-breaker is that they're better right off the tree which is obviously how they were originally meant to be eaten. Not shipped half-way across a continent and sitting in a grocery store.

Freud be damned, I think BANANA beats them both anyway.

More
30 May 2013 14:34 #153186 by SuperflyPete
Orange is both a fruit and a color. That makes it dual purpose.

Vote: Oranges.

More
30 May 2013 14:38 #153189 by scissors
Bill Ferny gets hit in the face with an apple, not with an orange.

Apple.

More
30 May 2013 14:41 - 30 May 2013 14:43 #153192 by Juniper
I'm voting Orange, just because I want to reserve the right to criticize apple fanboys on this site.

I actually kind of like apples better, though.
Also, I find it confusing that the word "orange" is used to designate both a fruit and a color. Is the color named after the fruit? Or vice versa?
Then again, I also find it confusing that the German word for orange (the fruit) is apfelsine, which looks to be a derivative of the word apfel (i.e. apple). This is especially confusing to me because the German word for orange (the color) is orange.

Also, I think Agent Apple would be a good screen name for a website forum.

My mayor smokes crack.
Last edit: 30 May 2013 14:43 by Juniper. Reason: Acidentally reverted to the British spelling for "colour." I try to avoid doing that even though it's what I was taught in grade school.

More
30 May 2013 14:41 #153193 by ThirstyMan
Apples are fruits and Oranges are vegetables (or something). I read this when I was drunk. Easier to make alcohol from Apples so.

Vote Apples.

More
30 May 2013 14:48 #153195 by Sagrilarus
Scurvy.

Vote: Oranges
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
30 May 2013 21:52 #153248 by scissors
You can name your kid Apple (Gwyneth Paltrow)... you wouldn't name your kid Orange!

More
30 May 2013 22:17 #153253 by jur
can't really say because I haven't tried apples yet (slowly molding on the shelf in their shrinkwrap), but given how much I like oranges after a few tries, it's definitely

vote: oranges
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juniper

More
30 May 2013 22:29 #153255 by ChristopherMD

scissors wrote: .. you wouldn't name your kid Orange!

I wouldn't name my kid Apple either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
31 May 2013 06:29 #153270 by bomber

no contest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
31 May 2013 07:35 #153276 by Amontillado
The orange appears in warmer climes where the sun shines too much. As such is a thing of low moral fiber. One might expect a gentleman to date an orange to have a bit of fun first, but he will marry an apple and there is nothing more to be said about it. I said good day to you sir. I said GOOD DAY!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.374 seconds