October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

VideoDome! Jackson's Middle Earth vs Lucas' Star Wars

More
03 Jan 2015 01:37 #193896 by Mr. White
Total nerd fest here.

Both have 6 films behind them. Which saga came off better?

Obviously, I think Jackson's film version of Middle Earth crushes Star Wars. The acting is mostly pretty good, the sets and effects are consistent amongst all the films, the characters are more interesting, and yeah....I like the scores better.

Star Wars....ugh. The unnecessary fan service of dropping characters in scenes where they don't belong, the terrible prequel acting of anyone not named Liam Nesson, and the fact that there's no good way to watch the star wars trilogies (spoil anakin is vader, or spoil vader is luke's father?) adds up to a bad time to me. In fact, beyond watching A New Hope (the only good film) I find thinking about Star Wars is a more rewarding activity than actually watching Star Wars. Didn't you imagine the Clone Wars to be cooler than they turned out?

VOTE: Jackson's Middle Earth

Unfortunately, the Middle Earth films won't have nearly as much pop culture traction. I don't think I saw half the Hobbit merchandise that I saw for LotR. Heck, don't even think I saw a single Hobbit action figure. That and the line of films is pretty much done. Star Wars is going to keep getting crapped out forever...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2015 01:46 - 03 Jan 2015 01:49 #193897 by bomber
Star Wars OT >>>>>>>>> LOTR >>>>>>>>>> HOBBIT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> that other shit

Darth Vader >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything
Last edit: 03 Jan 2015 01:49 by bomber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, 433, DukeofChutney

More
03 Jan 2015 01:57 #193899 by Mr. White
Illegal Procedure!

Votes only count when comparing one set of 6 films as a whole against the other.

More
03 Jan 2015 02:39 #193900 by bomber
you've weasled quite the conundrum there Mister White. It's hard for me to express just how horrendously I view the travesty of the new star wars films, but the highs of the OT still mean that SW > LotR. It's all about Vader, baby!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Colorcrayons

More
03 Jan 2015 03:22 - 03 Jan 2015 03:25 #193902 by scissors
Lucas didn't direct all the Star Wars films ie. the best one The Empire Strikes Back. Although I think that Star Wars has an incomparable deeper resonance, gotta give it to Jackson.

If it were the original 3 on both sides, Star Wars kicks Lotrs ass all over the place.

Actually, fuck it: Star Wars has Harrison Ford, R2D2, VADER, Boba Fett, Leia's slave outfit (which was great when i was 13) the litte bue elephant playing the keyboards, Mos Eisley.

lotr has admittedly a great Gandalf, Viggo, the Witch King, an angry lighthouse and a bunch of whiny hobbits and a heroin-addict gollum who irritates on repeat viewings.

Star Wars - even with the abomination that were episodes 1-3.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2015 03:25 by scissors.

More
03 Jan 2015 06:29 #193907 by Black Barney
Star Wars OT is better and more iconic than the LOTR trilogy. The 3 prequels for each set are almost equally bad so that's a wash.

Vote: Star Wars
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, jpat, Colorcrayons, Attrition

More
03 Jan 2015 08:02 #193913 by wadenels
Vote: Middle Earth.

When I have to put the prequels into the Star Wars bundle I find it hard to give them any kind of positive spin. Here's hoping Disney gets the next episodes right.

More
03 Jan 2015 08:06 #193915 by stoic
There's simply no forgiving Lucas for Jar Jar Binks so my vote is for the extended, extended, director's version of the Jackson's Middle Earth tripe-ology which is soon to be purchased by the Disney Leviathan and then converted into a children's animated cartoon world with cross-over appearances from Star Wars.

More
03 Jan 2015 08:46 #193916 by repoman
I'm with Barney for once in that the prequels of both series kind of suck and nullify one another.

I think when looking at the original trilogies, they both have a consistent and interesting universe. Which looks better? Well, LotR has 30 years of scientific advancement to make it's visuals a bit more stunning but that Star Wars, with the exception of muppets, still looks fantastic after all these years is to its credit.

Story wise I'm going to give it to Lord of the Rings. They both have strong messages, the original Star Wars trilogy is largely about redemption. It may not have started out that way in the first movie but the second one clearly establishes that theme. But the theme of hope vs despair in the Lord of the Rings is strong and consistent and ultimately, to me, more moving.

Screen play wise Star Wars kicks the shit out of Lord of the Rings. Especially when it comes to dialog. The dialog is atrocious in Lord of the Rings where 90% of it is one character screaming another character's name in slow motion. Frooooodoooooo! Gaaaaaandaaaaallllf!

In the end, I like Star Wars better but then...Return of the Jedi...ewoks....the fight scene in the cave under Jabba's palace (the special effects are curiously bad) and Bobba Fett's fate...ugh. But then "Nobody tosses a dwarf"....elves at Helm's Deep....

I'm gonna punk out and call it even.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 Jan 2015 09:11 #193919 by Legomancer
I vote for Lucas' Star Wars over everything else.

That is, the movie that came out in 1977. directed by George Lucas, called "Star Wars". I'll take that over all the rest.

Of course, I don't give a fuck about a elf or hobbit. I saw the LOTR movies, they were fine, but nothing I had to have over and over.

More
03 Jan 2015 12:09 #193935 by Josh Look
Vote: Star Wars

The Star Wars movies aren't short, but they're aren't too long either. Also, Han Solo.

More
03 Jan 2015 12:23 #193937 by ChristopherMD
Middle Earth as a series, but 1977's Star Wars beats any of the movies individually.

More
03 Jan 2015 12:51 - 03 Jan 2015 14:06 #193944 by Attrition
The Star Wars prequels are worse than the Hobbit, but the original Star Wars and Empire far surpass any of the Middle Earth films. The LotR trilogy is still good, but has not aged well, whereas the Star Wars OT is still amazing after 38 years.

Jackson's Middle Earth is almost as reliant on CGI as the Star Wars prequels and the rubbery prostheses on Hobbit feet and Dwarf faces aren't charming in the way that the cantina aliens, Frank Oz's Yoda, and space battles with model ships are in the SW OT.

Ian McKellan, Andy Serkis, Sean Bean, and to a lesser extent Martin Freeman and Viggo Mortenson are all great. I think that Ian McKellan is almost solely responsible for making the Middle Earth films believable. Nevertheless, Harrison Ford, Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing, Frank Oz, Ian McDiarmid, and James Earl Jones are all incredible actors in defining roles and I'd give SW the edge in this category as well.

As great as Howard Shore's LotR compositions are, there's no way they stand up to the John Williams SW score, which is among the best ever.

Rather than trying to somehow quantify exactly how much shittier the SW prequels are than the Hobbit, I'm going with the films with the higher upper limit: Star Wars
Last edit: 03 Jan 2015 14:06 by Attrition.

More
03 Jan 2015 18:13 #193956 by Sagrilarus
Is there a reason we're voting on 18 hours of film produced in six different installments vs 14 hours of film produced in six different installments?

Empire Strikes Back gets my vote. You can do what you want with what remains.

More
03 Jan 2015 20:29 - 03 Jan 2015 20:31 #193964 by DukeofChutney
Star Wars / Empire also gets my vote, despite the prequels.

edit; Mof Tarkan > Saruman
Last edit: 03 Jan 2015 20:31 by DukeofChutney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds