October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

TRASHDOME! PICK UP AND DELIVERY (sorta)

More
27 Jan 2015 13:25 - 27 Jan 2015 17:35 #196329 by Egg Shen

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

My original title wouldn't fit in the subject line, but we're gonna have a three way battle. I think all three of these games will match up well against one another.

MERCHANT OF VENUS

vs

FIREFLY

vs

MERCHANTS AND MARAUDERS

Three games enter the Trashdome...only one can survive. Will it be the wily old veteran, the new kid on the block, or the self proclaimed greatest pirate game of all time? Vote for the best!

There is only one rule:

Three games enter! Only one game leaves!
Last edit: 27 Jan 2015 17:35 by Egg Shen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2015 13:31 #196331 by stoic
I haven't played any of them, but, I've wanted to try all of them, especially Merchant of Venus. Firefly is on my top-shelf for sci-fi tv shows. But, that doesn't say much because I like most of them. I've been holding off on purchasing Firefly because a part of me believes that I should only invest money and time in the original, Merchant of Venus. I look forward to reading all of the comments here.

More
27 Jan 2015 13:34 #196332 by OldHippy
Merchants and Marauders is one of my favorite games. Don't tell anyone but Merchants of Venus felt old to me.. dated even.

I still haven't played Firefly but I am very curious about it. It sounds like a blast but I have a hard time imagining it beating Merchants and Marauders, even though I love the show.. so I'll leave my reasonably ignorant vote right there.

Vote: Merchants and Marauders

More
27 Jan 2015 13:35 #196333 by ChristopherMD
Firefly

I'm voting for the only one I've played, but I suspect I'd vote for it anyways. I own Marauders, but have never gotten it to the table. Due at least partly to getting Firefly to the table on those days instead.

More
27 Jan 2015 13:48 #196338 by charlest
Merchants and Marauders

This isn't much of a fight at all.

More
27 Jan 2015 13:48 #196339 by Sagrilarus
Merchants of Venus.

More
27 Jan 2015 14:01 #196340 by Mr. White
This appears to be a Mexican Stand-off.

Haven't play any of them, and it's unlikely I will, but I'd choose Merchants of Venus (and AH if possible) for historic reasons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
27 Jan 2015 14:07 #196341 by ubarose
This is a really difficult one. All three games are truly great. Which one I pick to pull out and play is really dependent upon my mood.

I'm going to have to go with Merchants of Venus, for consistency of play and easier rules to remember and teach. I've had games Firefly and Merchants and Marauders where the game kind of got stuck in a kind of a checkmate due to the Reavers or Ships.

More
27 Jan 2015 14:34 #196347 by Josh Look
Firefly.

Think M&M kinda sucks.

More
27 Jan 2015 14:36 #196348 by Columbob
Tsk tsk tsk, you Merchant of Venus supporters can't even get the name right! THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE and all that hoopla.

Merchants and Marauders gets my vote, but MoV is also great (and shares some or the economics system) and I suspect I'd like Firefly as well. MoM has a bit more stuff going on than MoV however, what with rumors, piracy, raids, storms, war, wanted status, saving or drowning the guv'nor's daughter, etc.

More
27 Jan 2015 14:37 - 27 Jan 2015 14:39 #196349 by lj1983
woo! I've actually played/owned all three of these.

Merchants of Venus is the best classic pick up and deliver of these. Probably the cleanest ruleset and best if you are into the economic side of these things to go with a helping of adventure.

Firefly has the best feeling of building up and improving your crew/ship out of the three. Getting the right crew with the right gear for a job is great. It really needs the pirates and bounty hunters expansion to get that threat of attacking each other. The misbehave checks are almost too random and hard to plan for.

Merchants and marauders is probably the most open ended and best adventure. so many ways to get points, from being a merchant to going on little quests to being a pirate and hunting your fellow players down. While you do buy upgrades for the ships, they don't feel as substantial as the firefly crew upgrades. Nothing in the other two games comes close to the feeling of going up against a Man O War and winning though. I wish the warships and AI pirates were alittle more interactive.

Close, but I'll put my vote in for Firefly with the pirates and bounty hunters expansion.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2015 14:39 by lj1983.

More
27 Jan 2015 15:01 #196353 by Bull Nakano
Merchant of Venus

More
27 Jan 2015 15:05 - 27 Jan 2015 15:07 #196354 by Gary Sax
I vote Merchant of Venus because I haven't played my copy of M+M. But if someone says they want pure pick up and deliver, I say Merchant of Venus to them. Mainly, this is a vote against Firefly, it pales mechanically in comparison with both the others.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2015 15:07 by Gary Sax.

More
27 Jan 2015 15:23 - 27 Jan 2015 15:24 #196357 by VonTush
I feel that Firefly is more Adventure game with the character being the ship and the gear being the crew. The moving of goods and what have you in the game is just the "work" that you need to do in order to buy more and better goods and to progress throughout the adventure. Just like beating up on monsters. It doesn't feel like who moves the goods gooder wins, but who puts together the best ship and crew.

Merchants and Marauders I think does Pickup and Deliver better when you're a merchant. And I like that you can alter your course of action throughout the game. There's so much fluff and character to the game that it really is immersive. I just like that there are so many paths to take and so many options provided.

Merchants of Venus, I've owned longer than the other two and have played zero times. It just looks archaic vs the other games.

Firefly is good, but I don't think of it as pickup and deliver.

So my vote goes to Merchants and Marauders.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2015 15:24 by VonTush.

More
27 Jan 2015 15:29 #196359 by JEM
I played Firefly last night. I neither picked up, nor delivered anything. Except bounties. Maybe they count.

I'm interested to know more about Merchants and Marauders, because I keep looking at it (pirates, yarr, etc) but haven't got an angle on how it plays.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds