October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Creativity Dome

More
10 Feb 2015 13:01 #197306 by OldHippy
Creativity Dome was created by OldHippy
So, Ghostbusters eh? Jesus Christ, Mohammed and Buddha but man this is getting out of control.

Star Wars Carc, Star Wars everything... Conan, Firefly, Star Trek, D&D...

People go apeshit when a game comes out based on an IP they like... I suffer from it too. But ultimately what's better to you. The tried and true, the IP you've seen before? Or the new world created exclusively for your gaming pleasure? I mean in ideal circumstances. So I get that D&D is a better setting than Terrinoth or that Lord of the Rings is also better. But is it better for gaming and the stories we tell? In the long run? Ideally if a setting could be equally as awesome it seems clear to me that an original IP would be better. But it's not every day that a good designer is also a creative enough person to also be a good story teller and setting creator. But what if they could? Would you still clamor for that Star Wars game or would one based in an original world be better?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2015 13:14 #197308 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Creativity Dome
It's a tough call. An established IP could be distracting during a game, with people talking about favorite movies, episodes, books, etc. Or an established IP could be more inspiring to a game designed, resulting in a more interesting game. I guess I lean slightly in favor of an original setting.

More
10 Feb 2015 13:19 #197310 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Creativity Dome
depends on what type of game. I've noticed that for deck-building games, I'm way more into it if it's LOTR-based.

If the gameplay is a good fit with an established IP, then I think the game does better sticking to that. If the fit is awkward or forced, then go original.

I'm still waiting for Amistad Puerto Rico

More
10 Feb 2015 13:26 #197312 by derekjinx
Replied by derekjinx on topic Creativity Dome
I think I have to go with established IP. For me I really like the idea of "exploring the world' of my favorite TV shows, movies, and books, and video/board games let me do that. Most of my absolute favorite board games (Star Craft, Battlestar Galactica, etc.) are based on established IP. .

Look at my freakin' avatar... vehicle Voltron for corn sakes! That should tell you everything.

Hey wait, I think I found the next Kickstarter million dollar hit...

More
10 Feb 2015 13:26 #197313 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Creativity Dome
A licensed product is a foot in the door, the product in the window to get you in the store, the built in sales pitch.
I'll take a licensed product the majority of the time.

More
10 Feb 2015 13:36 #197315 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Creativity Dome
Dune vs. Rex

That's all for me, it's 9:37 pm and the kids get up at 5:30.

More
10 Feb 2015 13:37 #197316 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Creativity Dome
The way I see it, virtually every mechanic used in modern games is taken from previously published ones. So, the only difference is the mix of the mechanics and most importantly, the theme. Would Arkham Horror be as good if it was about alien invaders? Maybe, maybe not. Theme matters.

More
10 Feb 2015 13:50 #197320 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Creativity Dome
pfff, neither is a guarantee for a good game. And do historical settings count as original or as a sort of IP? People go apeshit for ACW games, but ignore The War of Jenkins Ear. Does that say anything about how interesting the war is? Or anything about how interesting a game about either conflict? You might suggest that Caylus has a unique setting, but it is completely bland.

Abstention

More
10 Feb 2015 14:17 #197322 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Creativity Dome
Generally I prefer something original, but I may be kidding myself by saying that. I always liked the Star Wars aesthetic, but I never had any interest in "being" Han Solo, or taking the role of some character that would essentially be an extra in the movies. I liked the Old Republic games on the PC because they removed the established media to arm's length, giving room in the setting to make your story as a player.

I can't rag on Arkham Horror, because "Cthulhu" wasn't played out as a setting when it first came out, but I can chide it mildly for further establishing the "eldritch pulp adventure" style of setting that's become ubiquitous whenever someone wants to make a game with a "safe" kind of evil in it. Imagine Arkham as a game featuring a Satanic cult, with just as much horror, but even then that's not an original IP, that mythology has been with us for millennia, now.

Firefly sits in a strange place for me. I do enjoy the call-backs to the show, but also it hurts the game when you know that 80% of the available captains to play as, are gobshites. With an original IP, they'd just be roles with slightly asymmetrical abilities and that problem wouldn't be there. But then I look at a game like Xia, and I don't see a story there, just a sequence of events. I don't see the character in the game. That may be my failure more than the games. Maybe I do need that crutch of familiar media to spark imagination.

I do think the Dune/Rex comparison is harsh. A re-theme doesn't have to include an eye-bleachingly bad board and furry cosplayers on the box cover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
10 Feb 2015 14:24 #197323 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Creativity Dome

craniac wrote: Dune vs. Rex

That's all for me, it's 9:37 pm and the kids get up at 5:30.

What about Dune vs. Cosmic? That seems more fair to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
10 Feb 2015 14:25 #197324 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Creativity Dome

Jur wrote: pfff, neither is a guarantee for a good game. And do historical settings count as original or as a sort of IP? People go apeshit for ACW games, but ignore The War of Jenkins Ear. Does that say anything about how interesting the war is? Or anything about how interesting a game about either conflict? You might suggest that Caylus has a unique setting, but it is completely bland.

Abstention

I considered making historical setting a third option but I almost feel like the original IP vs. someone else's world brought to a game situation is separate from this in a way.

More
10 Feb 2015 14:50 #197328 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Creativity Dome
If games are just going to rip off the stories and concepts of Star Wars, LOTR, Aliens, Conan, Blade Runner, Star Trek, whatever...then they may as well just BE those things rather than some jackass's attempt to "cleverly" express their admiration for those properties in homage or whatever. Same with D&D. If it's going to practically be D&D in all but name...I'd rather it just say "D&D" on the box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost, VonTush

More
10 Feb 2015 15:02 #197329 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Creativity Dome
An established IP also makes it easier to "get" the game. I know what Rebel and Empire are like, whereas I don't quite know who the different factions in Neuroshima are. So when explaining the game and giving players a feel for how it's played and what kind of stories it tell, an established IP can be a short cut. It's sort of easier to fill out the empty spaces in the text so to say.

On the other hand you risk players looking for something that's not in the game. Like how you could not play Conan in the Conan board game.

More
10 Feb 2015 15:49 #197337 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Creativity Dome
I almost never, never want to play an IP game. When I play a game, I want to play a game, I don't want to re-enact an already-written script. I don't want for these units to be able to go anywhere on the map except here for no reason other than they couldn't in the movie or book. I don't want one of the characters to be crazy powerful because if he -- and it'll be a he -- isn't, nerds will shit fire. There's just no appeal to me in playing Star Wars figures, as I did when I was a kid, only as cardboard on a map with dice. Most properties are a barrier to entry for me -- I won't look twice at your game if it's Lord of the Rings, for example. Firefly absolutely pissed me off with the fucking Jayne's Hat being crazy powerful because god fucking forbid Jayne's hat not be in the game and be awesomely epic. I want to play a game, not squee over shit I recognize.

The only exception is Marrying Mr. Darcy, which rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

More
10 Feb 2015 16:16 - 10 Feb 2015 16:16 #197339 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Creativity Dome

Legomancer wrote: -- I won't look twice at your game if it's Lord of the Rings, for example.

Then you are making a big mistake and missing out on a great game which is War of the Ring.

Your over generalisations just don't cut much ice with a well balanced game like WoTR
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 16:16 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds