October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

SettingDome: Cyberpunk v Post Apoc

More
14 May 2015 09:01 - 14 May 2015 09:18 #202402 by Mr. White
As a child of the 80's, and living on military bases in Cold War Europe , I like my sci-fi/future settings a bit more on the dark side. Escape From New York, Terminator, Aliens...all good. Dystopia settings are fun in fiction!

So with that, and the new Mad Max release, which near, dark future setting do you prefer?

Cyberpunk

or Post Apocalypse
Last edit: 14 May 2015 09:18 by Mr. White. Reason: the post apoc image seems to keep disappearing...maybe this new one will render

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2015 09:13 #202403 by Jackwraith
Why not both? Gamma World, FTW!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, DukeofChutney

More
14 May 2015 09:19 #202404 by OldHippy
I think I'd prefer post-apocalyptic for gaming. I'd like technology to be as destroyed as possible and have the humans in full on scavenger mode.

But for living... Cyberpunk all the way because post apocalyptic of the kind I'm thinking of would absolutely suck to live in. Whereas cyberpunk could be really cool and I think I'd be able to thrive in that setting.

For fiction I don't care much either way both are cool and it comes down to execution for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
14 May 2015 09:33 #202405 by hotseatgames
Both are cool, but I think I prefer cyberpunk. I like cities, and augments / nano-upgrades, etc. are cooler than scrounging for oil.

Deus Ex is one of the greatest games of all time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney

More
14 May 2015 09:41 #202406 by DukeofChutney
wires and hair dye are better than male nudity and excessive spikes.

More
14 May 2015 10:01 #202407 by ChristopherMD
In Cyberpunk I'd probably still be just some drone working for a giant corporation. So Post-Apocalypse wins by default.

More
14 May 2015 11:21 #202412 by Sevej
I love Post-Apoc, but Cyberpunk! No contest!

More
14 May 2015 11:25 #202413 by Gregarius

Mad Dog wrote: In Cyberpunk I'd probably still be just some drone working for a giant corporation. So Post-Apocalypse wins by default.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Life in post-apoc may be hard, but at least you set your own hours and make your own rules. Plus, fresh air, sunshine, and a really loose dress code.

More
14 May 2015 11:36 - 14 May 2015 11:37 #202415 by Columbob

Gregarius wrote: Plus, fresh air, sunshine, and a really loose dress code.

Rads (rad suits), hard-to-cure diseases such as the flu much more dangerous, killer UVs, overcast world, constant hunger, life expectancy back to what it was in the Dark Ages.
Last edit: 14 May 2015 11:37 by Columbob.

More
14 May 2015 11:43 #202417 by Shellhead
It's a tough call for me.

Cyberpunk - sleek, stylish, multi-cultural, high-tech, noir. Some of my all-time favorite writers have written cyberpunk, including William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, Michael Swanwick, and George Alec Effinger. However, we already live in a world that is partially cyberpunk, so it's less fascinating as a setting. And movies never seemed to capture the feel of cyberpunk beyond the visuals, though we did get Blade Runner and The Matrix. From a gaming standpoint, there was the cool but dysfunctional Cyberpunk rpg, the lame tolkienesque cyberpunk on training wheels of Shadowrun, and the brilliant designs of Netrunner and Android.

Post-Apocalyptic - After the Berlin Wall fell, post-apocalypse went into decline, as the prospect of nuclear war receded. That's a shame, because there were all kinds of interesting angles to explore with post-apocalypse. Mutants, robot overlords, radioactive wastelands, survivalists, zombies, road warriors, anarchists, etc. Then zombies made a big comeback more than a decade ago, possibly getting more of a boost from Shaun of the Dead than any other single element. I'm really burned out on zombies these days, because the monsters themselves are fairly dull compared to vampires or xenomorphs. But the zombie apocalypse is more of a game changer than most horror themes, because the sheer quantity of zombies always brings down our modern world into abrupt chaos, while most other monsters just secretly pick off a few victims here and there. Zombies have clearly made an impact in movies, and now even on television, but most good writers have little to say about zombies. And from a gaming standpoint, zombies have been a big fucking disappointment, inspiring a horde of brainless and mediocre boardgames and not one single great one.

After consideration, I vote Cyberpunk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
14 May 2015 11:52 #202418 by SuperflyPete
Post-Apoc. I like both, but the world of Blade Runner (dystopian future run by coroporations) is not nearly as compelling as the desperate, grimy survivalism that is bred by the PA setting.

What's better: Deus Ex, or Fallout? That's really what it boils down to.

I vote POST-APOCALYPTIA!

More
14 May 2015 11:58 #202419 by stoic
Post-Apocalyptic all the way!

Attachments:

More
14 May 2015 12:38 #202423 by hotseatgames

SuperflyTNT wrote: What's better: Deus Ex, or Fallout? That's really what it boils down to.

A compelling argument, but I think objectively, Deus Ex is in fact a better game than Fallout. Both are fantastic, but I'm not sure Fallout would make my top 10 best games ever list. Deus Ex would be chilling in the top 5.

More
14 May 2015 13:09 #202427 by Msample
Both have their merits, but I feel post Apoc movies have a higher batting average than cyberpunk. I still haven't erased the horrors of Johnny Mnemonic from my mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
14 May 2015 13:30 - 14 May 2015 13:30 #202430 by ChristopherMD
My Top 5 Favorite Cyberpunk-ish Movies:
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Robocop
Total Recall
Fifth Element

My Top 5 Favorite Post-Apocalyptic Movies (not including zombies)
Road Warrior
Planet of the Apes
Logan's Run
City of Ember
Mad Max: Fury Road (haven't seen it yet, hype enough for ya?)
Last edit: 14 May 2015 13:30 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, OldHippy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds