October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Doom vs Street Fighter II

More
22 Sep 2015 08:54 #211097 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Doom vs Street Fighter II
SF2, no question. An almost impossibly deep game, full of psychological tricks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2015 09:18 #211098 by SuperflyPete

hotseatgames wrote: Doom.
I enjoy both genres, but I don't need a live opponent to have fun with Doom.

To be fair, "Doom" is what he calls it when he slathers his palm with lotion.

Both genres were launched, in great part, by these games, but Doom has had a much more profound impact. I remember playing DOOM over LAN at my dad's office back in the day...good times. A lot of people forget, but that WAS the original FPS deathmatch game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
22 Sep 2015 12:58 #211112 by metalface13
Street Fighter II.

I remember the first time I saw it, I swear it was liking watching cel animation taking place on an arcade. The graphics were mind blowing at the time. And that cast of characters! I've never been an expert at fighting games, but I definitely enjoyed them in their heyday. Doom was OK, I had a Macintoish with a BW monitor most of my time growing up, so I only got to play Doom at my friend's house. I wasn't very good, and I appreciated it for what it was but it didn't give me the same amount of thrill as Street Fighter.

More
22 Sep 2015 13:21 #211119 by Stonecutter
So it's funny. Of these two specific games I played WAAAAAY more SFII than Doom, but in my life I've played and enjoyed play way, way, way, way, way more FPS games than fighters, and I don't really *like* fighting games because I'm no damn good at them.

Still you asked about the specific games so...

Wait, wait, what's this now?

Josh Look wrote: Doom, like Nirvana, inspired a slew of shitty imitators. But Street Fighter II inspired David Sirlin.

VOTE: Doom

Oh right:

Vote: DOOM

More
22 Sep 2015 16:47 #211143 by Space Ghost
Vote: Doom

More
22 Sep 2015 17:59 #211154 by Bull Nakano
For ME, Street Fighter 2 (Hyper or Turbo if I may). I loved this game when it came out and still love it today. It's a masterpiece in game design.

For the world, Doom. Doom isn't a masterpiece, but it's dang good, and made a huge push in the way games could look and act and feel. You can trace a direct line from it to Half-Life, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and nearly every first person game since. The same can be said for SF2, but fighting games have never been as impactful and are much more niche.

More
22 Sep 2015 21:15 #211161 by Oatmeal
Replied by Oatmeal on topic Doom vs Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II. Multiplayer games are more fun than single player.

Also, not only was it a milestone, but it's probably still the best fighting game available
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
22 Sep 2015 21:29 #211164 by SuperflyPete
Yeah, pretty much, dude. SF2 is unrivaled. I like Mortal Kombat 2 a lot, but SF2 is still the King.

More
22 Sep 2015 21:41 #211165 by Da Bid Dabid
SF 2 even though I was never as good at it as I wanted to be.

I would murder all of you at MK 2.

More
22 Sep 2015 22:23 #211167 by ChristopherMD
DOOM is eternal. I was actually playing the original on my PS3 a few months ago and enjoying it as a game not as nostalgia. I'll still happily play FPS's in general, but I never play fighting games anymore at all. If I were to play a fighting game for nostalgia it would be Mortal Kombat.

More
22 Sep 2015 23:35 #211169 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Doom vs Street Fighter II
For everyone bitching about how Sirlin is mean, let's not forget Id Software's own prima donna:

What's the difference, other than that Romero is not interested in the board game market but Sirlin is?

More
24 Sep 2015 16:58 #211276 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Doom vs Street Fighter II

dysjunct wrote: SF2, no question. An almost impossibly deep game, full of psychological tricks.

I played a lot of competitive Doom in the 90s, and the deathmatchers in my group would have strongly disagreed that Doom isn't rich with psychological tricks. Ever heard of the silent BFG? That was just one of a slew of tricks that competitive doomers had up their sleeves. The trick was to override the BFG charging sound with a grunt ("oof") by hitting space against a wall immediately after clicking your fire button. If you did it quickly enough, there was hardly any BFG sound at all. Surprise BFG! That's not where it ends, though. So, of course the master doomers all knew of this trick, and they'd listen for the grunts. Maybe a trickster would release a bluff grunt without actually firing - *then* he might fire just a moment after, throwing off the target's expectations and messing up his defensive maneuvers. Or maybe the player didn't even have a BFG at all and wanted to give the impression that he did!

More
25 Sep 2015 08:08 - 25 Sep 2015 08:28 #211296 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Doom vs Street Fighter II
In a close fought match, Street Fighter II appears to have outlasted Doom to a count of 12 (SFII) to 9 (Doom).

"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."

As a participation prize, here's a fantastic article all should read. The Oral History of Street Fighter II: www.polygon.com/a/street-fighter-2-oral-history
Last edit: 25 Sep 2015 08:28 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, OldHippy, hotseatgames

More
25 Sep 2015 08:25 #211299 by hotseatgames
I must say I expected more Doom supporters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds