October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Force Awakens vs Fury Road

More
30 Dec 2015 22:39 #218693 by san il defanso
I'm sorry, was the question "which franchise has more cultural impact?" Because that's obviously Star Wars, even the prequels. The Force Awakens is indeed a big deal, but it was going to be a big deal regardless of actual merit. On their own terms it has to be Fury Road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, JEM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2015 23:50 #218699 by Not Sure

Michael Barnes wrote: Both are great movies, both are returns to form. Both are getting back to how big genre films USED to be. But let's face it, Fury Road will never have the lasting cultural impact that ANY Star Wars movie will. People won't be thinking about Fury Road the way that they will about that Christmas that The Force Awakens came out and the whole family went to go see it, etc.

People that matter will.

Tell me more about the lasting cultural impact of Attack of the Clones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
04 Jan 2016 17:43 #219021 by Frohike
Necro-bump. Just saw Fury Road yesterday and... I'll go ahead and blaspheme Star Wars.

I really enjoy the fact that Fury Road doesn't operate under the weight of failure in any capacity. Its vision doesn't carry the implicit need to retread or apologize. Its post-apocalypse, unlike many cinematic post-apocalypses, faces mostly inward, intra-diegetically, and sometimes faces outward with social vectors beyond Abrams' simple repetitions to "believe in the franchise again, you know, like the Force!" Its not all that profound in this capacity, but frankly neither is Star Wars. On the whole, I favor it over the New Hope 2.0 if only because, in contrast to the desperation on screen, Fury Road doesn't resort to reflecting and leaning on the viewer's meta-desperation with the fantasy itself. It's a stronger and more confident film in this and many other aspects, cinematography being another major one for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, SebastianBludd, Black Barney

More
04 Jan 2016 20:17 #219034 by hotseatgames
I saw Star Wars this weekend, so I can wholeheartedly say

Fury Road
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
04 Jan 2016 20:37 #219036 by Black Barney
Frohike, great post. You're right that Fury Road is blatantly saying, "I don't care if you don't like this movie ". There's no BB-8.

That's not a knock against Star Wars As much as a feather in Max's face mask
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
05 Jan 2016 00:32 #219050 by daveroswell
I have watched neither yet but I recently watched Flash Gordon in its entirety for the first time and it was trashily awesome.

Flash Gordon
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty, Msample, OldHippy, DukeofChutney, JEM, SuperFlySwatter

More
05 Jan 2016 08:57 #219053 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: Both are great movies, both are returns to form. Both are getting back to how big genre films USED to be. But let's face it, Fury Road will never have the lasting cultural impact that ANY Star Wars movie will. People won't be thinking about Fury Road the way that they will about that Christmas that The Force Awakens came out and the whole family went to go see it, etc.

I think this is being oversold.

When A New Hope came out, there was nothing like it. It captured the imagination of a generation.

Now, we're bombarded with countless effects laden sci-fi and fantasy films. In an era with all the Marvel films, Avatar, Harry Potters, LotR/Hobbits, Pacific Rims, etc, etc, etc. Force Awakens really only has the SW legacy to rise it above the others. There's so much out there, that besides going to the movies with us, I'm not sure this film has had anymore impact on my son than say The Avengers or The Lego Movie. I know he hasn't brought it up since we saw it a few weeks ago, but has talked about the Pokemon X/Y season plenty.

There's just so much out there now catering to all interests.

On their own though, yeah, Fury Road v Force Awakens. Fury Road without question.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, JEM

More
09 Jan 2016 13:19 #219447 by SuperFlySwatter
This thread is an embarrassment to the site and should be hidden away in a dark corner to die slowly in pain. All of you who voted for Fury Road are dead on the inside. Star Wars, a movie I cared about all the characters, forgave the flaws and was praying wouldnt end from the first few minutes against Fury Road an interminably long borefest filled by a succession of boring and similar explosions with an allegorical background about a world which didnt fit with the feel of the franchise, and featured characters, including mumbly is he supposed to be Mel Gibson Max, a boot full of supermodel bints in white chiffon we were supposed to sympathise with and a robot armed Charlize Theron looking for redemption in her grandmas on motorbike gang in a world where in a few short years weve developed from dudes in realistic modern world societies and settings to something not that and populated by nothing to care about.

Fury Road is not in the same universe, literally, metaphorically or in any sense as The Force Awakens.

More
09 Jan 2016 13:33 - 09 Jan 2016 13:36 #219453 by RobertB
Yeah, well that's just like your opinion, man.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2016 13:36 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Shellhead, Black Barney, Not Sure, Frohike

More
09 Jan 2016 13:55 #219454 by SuperFlySwatter
I find your lack of faith disturbing
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
09 Jan 2016 14:43 #219459 by Frohike
MEDIOCRE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Legomancer, Black Barney, wadenels

More
09 Jan 2016 17:57 #219464 by Shellhead
Fury Road, because it is one of the greatest action movies of all time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
09 Jan 2016 18:01 #219465 by Shellhead

Fury Road will never have the lasting cultural impact of McDonalds either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, wadenels

More
10 Jan 2016 09:49 #219488 by Legomancer

lala wrote: This thread is an embarrassment to the site and should be hidden away in a dark corner to die slowly in pain. All of you who voted for Fury Road are dead on the inside.

Oh man, you're from Wrongtown! I grew up there! Do they still have that great deli on Misconception Street?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike, the_jake_1973

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.389 seconds