October 09, 2023
2481 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: Fury Road vs Aliens

More
17 Oct 2016 12:44 - 17 Oct 2016 12:45 #236329 by Colorcrayons
Black barney, I saw Paul resier doing stand up as an opener for Carlin in 94.

Reiser was shockingly for more entertaining than Carlin, but then again, Carlin was going through his finding god phase at that point.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 12:45 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2016 12:46 #236330 by Black Barney
I'm just jealous that he got to fake-kiss Helen Hunt during her good years
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
17 Oct 2016 13:51 - 17 Oct 2016 13:53 #236334 by Mr. White
I have this contest currently at a 5/5 split.

Need a few more votes up in here to sort this out once and for all. In the meantime, maybe Barney can regale us with more Netflix and chill stories.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 13:53 by Mr. White.

More
17 Oct 2016 14:10 #236338 by Msample
It took awhile, but over multiple viewings, Fury Road has grown on me a bit.

But I give the nod to Aliens. I just watched it again the other night, and it holds up pretty well. Better dialogue and more interesting characters ( not that Fury Road doesn't have any ) . Plus, technically it had a more limited toolbox, technology wise than Fury Road. It was a ground breaking movie in many ways, especially in terms of female protagonists - not just Ripley, but Vasquez as well.

ALIENS, just barely.

More
17 Oct 2016 14:16 #236341 by Black Barney
White, so far we haven't even been able to put on the Netflix part of it yet.... i'll let you know when we make our first attempt. I think it'll be Alien.

When Cpt. Dallas clumsily fails to evade his stalker thanks to the moronic directions of Lambert who can't read the directions for microwaved popcorn, let alone a motion tracker, one of two things will happen, i'm curious which it'll be.

Fury Road has been moments and scenes on an individual level, but Aliens just flows better and has all sorts of twists and turns, disappointments and triumphs. As a whole, Aliens is better. But it;s super easy to grab single scenes from Fury Road and just posting "THIS." Aliens builds tension until the action gets there. Just like Alien did. Fury Road gets into it right away.

Msample, don't forget Ferro. There are no weak female roles (except that stupid medic) compared to Lambert in Alien.

More
17 Oct 2016 14:18 #236342 by Shellhead
I haven't seen Aliens in many years, but I enjoyed it each of the several times that I saw it. Great action, good story, memorable characters, quotable dialogue, decent practical fx, horror, suspense, and humor, all in one big package.

So far, I have only seen Fury Road twice, but consider it a great movie. Visually spectacular, wildly creative, and very action-packed. And yet, not as many memorable characters as Aliens, and definitely not as quotable. The plot is almost as simple as the journey taken by the lead characters. And Mad Max takes a definite backseat role to Charlize Theron's stunning character.

My pick: Aliens

More
17 Oct 2016 14:19 #236343 by Vlad
I still remember the first time I watched Aliens, as any educated person (or at least male-person) of my age should. And I’ve been watching it for maybe 20 years at least a couple times per year, so go figure. But, the sad truth is, in the last 5 years or so, I watched Alien way more and did not feel like bothering with the sequel.
Maybe like Barney said, it’s the third act, or maybe it’s just me getting old. The last time, I switched off right after the “illegal alien” Vazquez joke. Like, hundreds years in the future, massive space colonization and all, the policies of immigration department toward Latin Americans are still a hot topic, come on. After the meticulous world-building of Alien, this is so lazy and thoughtless… kind of like an 80ies action flick.

However, Fury Road has been out there for only a little bit over a year, I don’t know this film well enough for a proper snobbish nitpicking. To be continued in 10 years.
My vote for Aliens.

More
17 Oct 2016 14:21 - 17 Oct 2016 14:27 #236345 by Black Barney
Hudson makes that joke you heretic

But I know what you're saying, it's the joke that's offensive. The thing is that it's immediately followed by a far more misogynistic comment, "anytime anywhere", towards his female colleague. Not exactly Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future.

but all that stupid dialogue is immediately silenced by Ripley's, "are you finished? I hope you're right, I really do..." which i LOVE. And then Lt Gorman (the commanding officer, remember) tries to smooth it over, "...anyway, i suggest you look at ripley's disc..." where she AGAIN cuts them off, "..cuz just one of those things managed to wipe out my entire crew in less than 24 hours" and so on. She's SO bad ass.

Honestly, Furiosa has NOTHING on Ellen Ripley.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 14:27 by Black Barney.

More
17 Oct 2016 14:55 #236349 by Vlad
No, I'm not offended by the racism, it's not the PC police speaking. The term "illegal alien" applied to a Latin American person on a fucking spaceship, light years away from Earth, US and it's immigration department (if it still exists) is worse than offensive, it's just stupid.

And I agree, Ripley definitely outranks Furiosa in bad-assery. Which is another point for Aliens, I guess.

More
17 Oct 2016 16:07 #236352 by ChristopherMD
Aliens for reasons already stated.

More
17 Oct 2016 16:30 #236356 by Gregarius
This one is damn difficult.

Both films exemplify precision filmmaking, world-building, and attention to detail in completely different ways. Both Cameron and Miller know how to tell a story with all the beats in the right places, tension, comedy, fear, and triumph.

In Aliens, I'm transported to a completely different world, but I believe everything I see.
In Fury Road, I know I'm still on this world, but I can't believe what I'm seeing.

If I were able to separate out my emotions, I think Fury Road is the better film.
But I can't. I've always had a deep love for the original Alien, and I'll never forget the amazing experience of seeing Aliens on the big screen for the first time (where I think my jaw was dropped open the entire time).

Aliens wins by a hair.

More
17 Oct 2016 16:34 #236358 by Msample

Vlad wrote: No, I'm not offended by the racism, it's not the PC police speaking. The term "illegal alien" applied to a Latin American person on a fucking spaceship, light years away from Earth, US and it's immigration department (if it still exists) is worse than offensive, it's just stupid.

And I agree, Ripley definitely outranks Furiosa in bad-assery. Which is another point for Aliens, I guess.

Here's a fun piece of trivia:

"Hudson's "illegal aliens" line to Vasquez is an inside joke referencing the fact that, at her first audition, Goldstein had assumed Aliens was actually a movie about illegal immigrants in the United States (where such people are commonly referred to as "aliens" or "illegal aliens"), and had dressed accordingly"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
17 Oct 2016 17:23 #236360 by stoic
Game Over, Man...GAME OVER! There's no contest: Aliens. Fury Road doesn't have iconic unforgettable quotes.

Ripley: Get away from her, you bitch!

Private Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?

Private Vasquez: No. Have you?

Private Hudson: [after the drop ship crash] Well, that's great. That's just fuckin' great, man! Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty shit now, man!

Corporal Hicks: [grabs him by the shirt] Are you finished?

Newt: I guess we're not gonna be leaving now, right?

Ripley: I'm sorry, Newt.

Newt: You don't have to be sorry. It wasn't your fault.

Private Hudson: That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?

Burke: Maybe we can build a fire, sing a couple of songs, huh? Why don't we try that?

Newt: We'd better get back 'cause it'll be dark soon and they mostly come at night. Mostly.

Ripley: How long after we're declared overdue can we expect a rescue?

Corporal Hicks: [pause] Seventeen days.

Private Hudson: Seventeen *days*? Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen hours! Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here...

Ripley: Hudson!

Private Hudson: ...and they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA GET US!

Ripley: Hudson! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training.

[to Newt]

Ripley: Right?

[Newt apes a salute]

Private Hudson: Why don't you put her in charge?

Private Vasquez: [after barely surviving the alien surprise attack] All right. We got seven canisters of CM-20. I say we roll them in there and nerve gas the whole fuckin' nest.

Corporal Hicks: It's worth the try, but we don't know if that's gonna affect them.

Private Hudson: Look let's just bug out and call it even, okay? What are we even talking about this for?

Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Private Hudson: Fuckin' A!

Burke: Hold on, hold on just a second. This installation has a substantial dollar value attached to it.

Ripley: They can *bill* me.

Burke: Okay, I know this is an emotional moment for all of us, okay? I know that. But let's not make snap judgments, please. This is clearly... clearly an important species we're dealing with and I don't think that you or I, or *anybody*, has the right to arbitrarily exterminate them.

Ripley: [laughs feebly] Wrong.

Private Vasquez: Yeah. Watch us.

Private Hudson: Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

Burke: Look. I'm not blind to what's going on, but I cannot authorize that kind of action. I'm sorry.

Ripley: Well, I believe that Corporal Hicks... has authority here.

Burke: Corporal Hicks has...

Ripley: This operation is under military jurisdiction and Hicks is next in chain of command. Am I right, Corporal?

Corporal Hicks: Yeah... yeah, that's right.

Burke: Yeah... Look, Ripley, this is a multi-million dollar installation, okay? He can't make that kind of decision. He's just a grunt! Uh, no offense.

Corporal Hicks: [coldly] None taken.

Corporal Hicks: [into headset] Ferro, do you copy?

Corporal Ferro: [on comms] Standing by.

Corporal Hicks: Prepare for dust-off. We're gonna need immediate evac.

Corporal Ferro: [on comms] Roger. On our way.

Corporal Hicks: I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit.

[looks to Ripley]

Corporal Hicks: It's the only way to be sure.

[Ripley smiles]

The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Columbob, Vlad

More
17 Oct 2016 18:18 #236363 by Vlad
Mediocre!
I also use "witness me," "don't become addicted to water, my friends" and "he was perfect in every way" on daily basis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, stoic, Gregarius

More
17 Oct 2016 18:24 #236364 by Shellhead

Vlad wrote: Mediocre!
I also use "witness me," "don't become addicted to water, my friends" and "he was perfect in every way" on daily basis.

"Stop trying to make fetch happen."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds