October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: Blade Runner vs The Terminator

More
24 Oct 2016 08:20 #236743 by Mr. White
Having won the Aliens v Fury Road contest, James Cameron is the defending champion of CinemaDome, but can the movie that made him hold off a cult favorite and one of the most influential films in its genre? You decide!

vs

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2016 08:32 #236745 by Black Barney
This better not be close.

As incredible as Blade Runner is, it's also incredibly boring. Vangelis knocks me right out and the bleakness of Corusant makes me want to push my thumbs into my eyes. Yes, it is ground breaking but not nearly as much as...

Terminator. I absolutely hate that this is probably a better film than Aliens, on paper. Terminator completely changed everything. It is exciting, it is terrifying. Sarah Connor is another timely strong female protagonist too.

It has to be Terminator. It's Arnold's signature role too. Plus we get to see early Hicks and Bishop before they get their feet wet.

More
24 Oct 2016 09:10 #236748 by Shellhead
Blade Runner: First movie based on the writing of Philip K. Dick. First movie to really show people what a cyberpunk future looked like. Posed interesting questions about artificial intelligence and the meaning of life. However, I agree that it's a slow movie despite a few exciting moments, and also a pretty glum movie. The gorgeous visuals just aren't enough to get me to watch it more than once a decade.

The Terminator: Great action movie with some science-fiction in the mix. Funny at times, and has some all-time great quotes. Relentless pace aside from a few nice, quiet moments. Good special effects. Inspired (too) many sequels. Huge, huge cultural impact. As recently as 2004, I wore a Terminator costume for Halloween, and everybody still loves the Terminator, even though he was the bad guy in the first movie.

Vote: The Terminator

More
24 Oct 2016 09:28 - 24 Oct 2016 09:28 #236751 by Thrun
Terminator is probably a more enjoyable "Movie" but Blade Runner has the kind of vibe and atmosphere that invites reflection which I really enjoy, so if I had to pick one, I'd vote for Blade Runner. The dystopia and atmosphere of BR feel more real to me, the underlying background of Terminator ie Skynet etc is not really the focus of the film as its more focus on the action flick aspect. Awesome, but I connect with Blade Runner even though I can see why it could be called "boring" if you're trying to frame it in the same reference as Terminator
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 09:28 by Thrun.

More
24 Oct 2016 09:42 - 24 Oct 2016 09:43 #236756 by RobertB
I vote The Terminator. I also think that stealing the idea from last week would have been a good thing, and Blade Runner should have been paired up against Moon or Ex Machina.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 09:43 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
24 Oct 2016 09:45 #236757 by Mr. White

RobertB wrote: I vote The Terminator. I also think that stealing the idea from last week would have been a good thing, and Blade Runner should have been paired up against Moon or Ex Machina.

we're gonna get to those!
There's so many ways these things could be paired up. Blade Runner v Alien or Blade Runner v Ex Machina. Terminator v Predator or Terminator V Conan.

I think we're going to let CinemaDome's run for about two and a half days. I think a week is maybe too long. I'll tally up the votes on this Wed midday and launch the next one. At two a week, there'll probably be a theme across the 7 days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Colorcrayons

More
24 Oct 2016 10:00 #236758 by Colorcrayons
I agree with Robert on the pairing.

Polar opposites.

That said, I'll vote Brade Runnuh.

I'll take thinky over the type of film which strains credibility and the suspension of disbelief. Terminator is fun though.

More
24 Oct 2016 10:48 #236766 by OldHippy
I probably enjoy Blade Runner a little bit more but I always vote for an original IP over an adaptation. Especially when the adaptation is arguably not as good as the original.

Vote: Terminator

More
24 Oct 2016 11:05 #236770 by ChristopherMD

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Vote: Blade Runner
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
24 Oct 2016 11:13 #236772 by Gregarius
I love the pairing, but for totally different reasons than the last one.

Blade Runner, to me, is the culmination of all the great, cerebral, '70s sci-fi films (yes, I know it came out in '82). They mashed the slowness and philosophy of something like Soylent Green (better than you probably think it is) with the modern amazing special effects. BR is speculative; it is about ideas. The SFX and action are just window dressing.

Terminator is kind of the opposite. It takes a mind-bendy sci-fi premise and turns it into an action/horror film. It's like a sci-fi version of Halloween. It set the standard for a lot of action movies, and (along with Star Wars) helped push the sci-fi genre away from think-pieces and more towards cheers and action. I'm a huuuge Schwarzenegger fan, so of course I'm in debt to this film for making him a star.

There are a lot of movies that came out in the early '80s that show this shift: The Thing, Wrath of Khan, E.T., and Tron all came out the same year as Blade Runner. Sci-fi was no longer just a genre, but a money-maker. I think that's why a lot of people (I almost said younger people, but that's not totally true) don't like BR. It's not flashy enough. It's boring. It's bleak (especially the ending of the director's cut). We've only recently returned to that style of sci-fi in the last couple of years, and I'm excited about it.

As great and influential as The Terminator is, it can't hold a candle next to Blade Runner. I will always adore that movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Mr. White, Colorcrayons, stoic

More
24 Oct 2016 11:19 - 24 Oct 2016 11:24 #236774 by Mr. White
Thanks, Gregarius for the vote of confidence. For a minute there I thought I may have gotten the pairing wrong. The two on Wed will have more in common, but I did think that opposites within a similar genre, so long as they are both of comparable quality, could provide for a tight contest. I mean, Terminator vs one of its derivatives would be a landslide. Terminator vs Conan may be close, but again...opposites.

I do think the capstone of sci-fi as cerebral vs the beginning of sci-fi as blockbuster is a good way to put it.

This is proving to be a closer race than the last one...
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 11:24 by Mr. White.

More
24 Oct 2016 11:55 #236784 by hotseatgames
I consider this comparing a drama to an action movie. I like both films, of course... But the world of Blade Runner is so fantastic... I have to go with Blade Runner.

More
24 Oct 2016 12:32 #236787 by Michael Barnes
Blade Runner is my all time favorite movie. It hasn't aged one bit. It wholly embodies the qualities that made 1980s genre films so great.

Terminator is great too, but it looks and feels like A low budget 1984 film. There's nothing magical or mystical about it.

More
24 Oct 2016 12:32 #236788 by Jackwraith
I appreciate The Terminator for when Cameron was still exercising his craft with a limited budget and having to answer to producers (including the one he married), rather than just pissing money down the drain because MOAR MONEY MEANS MIGHTY MOVIE! Like Aliens, The Termininator has a good central concept with a lot of tangents that enhance that concept, like Reese's memories of growing up in the wasteland. Also like Aliens, there's great tension in many of the scenes and the live action nature of the stunts is appealing in this day and age of CGI overload (a selling point for the contender in the previous 'Dome: Fury Road.)

However, the director's cut of Blade Runner (no voiceover, ends in the elevator) is the finest science fiction movie ever made and one of the best films ever made, regardless of genre. It went back to a Dashiell Hammett-model of noir and used a plot of unusual thematic complexity, not only for SF of the time, but for Hollywood in general. It also, as originally cut, spent a lot of time allowing the audience to simply absorb the visuals presented to them. As film is a visual medium, one would think this would be natural, but it's rarely the case in major cinema that what is presented on screen can go unaccompanied by someone yakking about this or that element of the plot and/or the characters' reactions to what is happening right in front of them. Have an exciting car chase? Don't forget to interrupt it every 15 seconds to show the hero yelling "Oh my God!" when something else blows up. There was none of that here. We're shown vistas of Los Angeles, the towers of the elite, and the alleyways of the downtrodden, including where those who form the foundation of the elite's wealth also live. Statements are made about the future and about now, only by what appears on the screen (along with, of course, Vangelis' brilliant score.)

Just that final moment in the elevator, with Deckard remembering Gaff shouting: "It's too bad she won't live! But, then again, who does?!" summarizes the essential questions that the story had been asking about creation, life, humanity (More human than human?), and perspective and, perhaps most importantly, leaves them unanswered. That's the goal that so many stories should be striving for but which gets cut off by Hollywood's burning desire for a pat ending (incidentally, The Terminator also leaves key questions open at the conclusion.) Some questions aren't meant to be answered and certainly not in the "straight line between two points" manner that much of modern entertainment tends to be.

Thankfully for Ridley Scott, the actors played right into the thoughtful nature of his storytelling. There's a great moment, often overlooked, when Deckard first tells Rachael that her existence is a lie. ("Those aren't your memories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's.") You can see the transformation come over each of their faces: Hers from earnest anticipation and pensive nervousness to her world crumbling inside and him from exasperation at having to explain something to this... object and suddenly realizing that she's a person, with feelings that he's just shattered. There are no dramatic pauses. The camera doesn't cut to a close up. It just lets you watch as this massive realization about the nature of humanity occurs to both of them in a completely different fashion. This was Ridley Scott at the peak of his directorial powers doing what every director should be trying to do, irrespective of money: tell a story and leave your audience thinking about it.

Blade Runner, without question.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Columbob, mutagen, Frohike, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
24 Oct 2016 12:36 - 24 Oct 2016 12:41 #236789 by Nodens
Just rewatched Terminator in a private retrospective of action greats (we had Alien I-III and Die Hard before) and agree with Gregarius and hotseatgames (edit: and the others who ninja'd). Blade Runner is a slow burn, but you get to talk ideas more when it's over.

Vote: Blade Runner

I do like the pairing, why not have Moon up against Ex Machina soon?
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 12:41 by Nodens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds