October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: Blade Runner vs The Terminator

More
24 Oct 2016 12:53 #236791 by mutagen
A beautiful film that actually seems to be about something, vs a popcorn action flick? Blade Runner, not even close.

The more interesting question is whether or not Deckard is a replicant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2016 12:58 #236792 by Not Sure

JonJacob wrote: I probably enjoy Blade Runner a little bit more but I always vote for an original IP over an adaptation. Especially when the adaptation is arguably not as good as the original.

Vote: Terminator

Harlan Ellison would have some things to say about that. (Ellison always has something to say about anything, and usually it's obnoxious).

Never mind that, though. Blade Runner is on the short-list of movies that defined my worldview. It doesn't lose to anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons

More
24 Oct 2016 13:09 #236793 by Colorcrayons
I'm thankful.you brought brade runnuh up, Mr. White.

I usually rewatch films that set my mind straight after a shitty day at work (fight club, lebowski, etc.)

But sometimes you gotta shake that up, and watch a movie that sets your mind askew.

Tonight shall be brade runnuh.

More
24 Oct 2016 13:14 #236794 by SuperflyPete
No contest.

Blade Runner changed the world.

More
24 Oct 2016 13:17 #236797 by R.P.Kraul
Terminator by a mile. More exciting, imaginative, and brain bending.

More
24 Oct 2016 13:59 - 24 Oct 2016 14:03 #236801 by boothwah
In a room full of guys that would actually like to try and play Cones of Dunshire - Blade Runner.

For everyone else - Terminator.

I think I go Terminator. I partied with the jocks and the geeks in high school.

/Pretty much everyone but the drama kids
//Band kids were cool, too
///Drama kids in the day and age when the Smiths and Siouxsie and the Banshees were fresh - They were like super mutant drama kids.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 14:03 by boothwah. Reason: SLASHIES ARE TEH SEXAY

More
24 Oct 2016 14:23 #236807 by Feelitmon
Joe Bob Briggs described Terminator as a time travel movie that you could still understand after a six-pack of beer. I think it's one of the all-time best high-concept genre B movies.

Unfortunately it's up against Blade Runner here! The story, dialog, and acting in Blade Runner are very good, but the world building and sense of place that it creates are peerless.

Gotta go with Blade Runner on this one.

More
24 Oct 2016 14:31 #236811 by Mr. White
I think too many of you are scoring Terminator low because you're overlooking this...

And was it ever verified if Soldier officially takes place in the Blade Runner universe?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
24 Oct 2016 14:59 #236818 by Vlad
On a subconscious level, I've always considered Soldier to be a sequel to Escape From LA. It might have to do with the overall quality.
But Alien and Blade Runner definitely take place in the same universe (but not Prometheus).

Anyway, I really like this pairing. Here are two films concerned with the same very important issue: "How does one kill a cyborg?" Admittedly, Blade Runner is a deeper movie than Terminator, because it also ponders on the "And what if the cyborg doesn't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger?" and (director cut) "What if you are a cyborg, even though you don't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger or even Rutger Hauer?"

Back in the 90ies, I spent hours upon hours debating whether Deckard was a replicant or not. I don't understand why, though, because watch this movie now and it is simply obvious that he is (maybe we simply were not used to this kind of Nolanesque-twists in the 90ies). But I am not going to watch it, because, as Barney pointed out quite righteously, it is very boring. My younger-self found its gloomy atmosphere, luscious wardrobe and complete lack of exciting events to be thought-provoking and philosophical.

Terminator, on the other hand, is as unpretentious and effective today as it was 30 years ago. Every time I pick it up on TV, I keep watching until the end. So, my vote for Terminator.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
24 Oct 2016 15:03 - 24 Oct 2016 15:03 #236820 by Mr. White
Wait...Alien and Blade Runner are in the same universe, but Prometheus isn't? I don't get this. I thought Alien and Prometheus were in the same universe.

If Alien and Blade Runner are in the same...is it at different points in time?

I thought Soldier was set around the same time as Blade Runner...
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 15:03 by Mr. White.

More
24 Oct 2016 15:11 #236822 by Vlad
You are technically correct , but Prometheus is just awful and none of it makes any sense.

It's like, maybe Aliens takes place in the same universe as Avatar, but not in my living room and not on my TV.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
24 Oct 2016 15:37 #236827 by Gregarius
There's also an interesting subtext that ties both movies together: Why do we humans deserve to keep on living?

In the present of BR and the future of Terminator, we've pretty much ruined the planet. The AIs in both worlds decided that we've wasted our resources and our potential, and for that we should die. Terminator gives us hope that no matter what the odds, we'll somehow find a way to survive. BR seems to indicate that it's already over, we just haven't accepted it yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
24 Oct 2016 15:52 #236830 by ChristopherMD

Vlad wrote: You are technically correct , but Prometheus is just awful and none of it makes any sense.

It's like, maybe Aliens takes place in the same universe as Avatar, but not in my living room and not on my TV.

Prometheus is 100x better than Avatar in every single way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
24 Oct 2016 15:58 #236831 by Mr. White

Mad Dog wrote:

Vlad wrote: You are technically correct , but Prometheus is just awful and none of it makes any sense.

Prometheus is 100x better than Avatar in every single way.

Looks like something to be decided in a future 'Dome...

More
24 Oct 2016 16:02 #236832 by stoic
Blade Runner

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds