October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: Blade Runner vs The Terminator

More
24 Oct 2016 16:42 - 24 Oct 2016 16:43 #236835 by Black Barney
Since we're having a big James Cameron fest, we better see Avatar in a future Dome. It would be cool if it went against Prometheus cuz they both have huge hype and it's the exact same two directors as this Dome! (although i think I'd love to see Prometheus take on Tron Legacy (or whatever that POS was called)

Also, Jackwraith has succeeded in making me feel like a total idiot for preferring Terminator over Blade Runner. Congrats :)
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 16:43 by Black Barney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2016 16:54 #236836 by Mr. White
I agree...those two will go head to head, but it'll be a little bit down the road.

More
24 Oct 2016 16:59 #236837 by quozl
I'd rather chew tinfoil than watch Blade Runner again.

Terminator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney, boothwah

More
24 Oct 2016 17:34 #236838 by Gregarius
Ugh. Prometheus is so terrible.

Although I care nothing about either movie, a better dome might be Avatar vs. Jurassic World. Two huge, CGI-bloated blockbusters that made a bazillion dollars but have little artistic merit and will be forgotten (or shunned) ten years after release.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
24 Oct 2016 17:56 - 24 Oct 2016 17:57 #236839 by Black Barney
Jurassic World is GARBAGE

Why wouldn't you put it against Jurassic Park instead ? Either way, both matches wouldn't be close

And Prometheus isn't terrible, it's just terribly disappointing.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 17:57 by Black Barney.

More
24 Oct 2016 18:23 #236840 by ChristopherMD

Gregarius wrote: Ugh. Prometheus is so terrible.

Although I care nothing about either movie,

This may be why we shouldn't do Prometheus, Avatar, Jurassic World, other crap. Nobody cares enough about those movies to write much about them. Even the ones I like there's not much to write. Whereas Aliens, Terminator, Blade Runner, and Fury Road are all essay worthy films.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Mr. White, Black Barney, Egg Shen, Gregarius, Vlad

More
24 Oct 2016 18:46 #236841 by Black Barney
When people get profoundly disappointed in something, they can get pretty verbose :)

That's why I was thinking Prometheus v Tron Legacy is a good fight :)

Putting stuff close to our hearts would make good matches too. Like Goonies vs Last Starfighter or something. Alien vs Jaws....i dunno

More
24 Oct 2016 19:02 #236842 by OldHippy
I would have a decent amount to say about Avatar as I really like that film. I recognize that it's not a masterpiece or even equal with the films we're discussing today but I have seen it several times and I enjoy it an awful lot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
24 Oct 2016 19:02 #236843 by Vlad

Mad Dog wrote: This may be why we shouldn't do Prometheus, Avatar, Jurassic World, other crap. Nobody cares enough about those movies to write much about them. Even the ones I like there's not much to write. Whereas Aliens, Terminator, Blade Runner, and Fury Road are all essay worthy films.

Seconded! By the way, we got tickets to "The Shining", it's in some cinemas over here for like two days. Which makes me think... The Shining vs The Exorcist
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike

More
24 Oct 2016 22:19 #236857 by Jackwraith

Black Barney wrote: Also, Jackwraith has succeeded in making me feel like a total idiot for preferring Terminator over Blade Runner. Congrats :)

Ha. Don't. I know a lot of people that don't like Blade Runner. It just doesn't resonate with some people and that's OK. Art is variable, as is entertainment. However, I will say that there'd be no point in putting Jurassic World up against Jurassic Park because they're the same damn movie. (Kind of like The Terminator and Terminator 2, but I digress...)

Besides, I'm one of those snobby film types who didn't really like Guardians of the Galaxy (I just didn't find anything particularly exciting or original about it. Definitely not the best Marvel movie that all of the critics were labeling it. But I digress again...) I think there's merit to just producing a cool adventure/action movie. I just usually want something to tell me a story that gets me to think. The Terminator actually did that. Blade Runner just did it better.

More
24 Oct 2016 22:31 - 24 Oct 2016 22:32 #236859 by Sevej
Terminator is my childhood. So, Terminator.

There's not one second when I'm watching Blade Runner I say "please show me more of the world". It never does. Interesting premise, thought evoking, but failed to deliver so much potential world building.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 22:32 by Sevej.

More
24 Oct 2016 23:25 #236861 by John Myers
I actually think there are a lot more interesting things going on in The Terminator than it's getting credit for in this thread. It's a movie deeply preoccupied with the nature of death and how on a long enough timeline we all face our own Judgement Day. There's also number of really interesting visual motifs including The Terminator's single glowing red eye, the skeleton robot, the mountains of skulls in the future, the kids huddled around the television set only to reveal the screen is busted and they are using it for a fire, etc.

There's also an almost Greek Tragedy-esque quality to the plot: Skynet is confronted with the inevitably of its own mortality and attempts to change its fate. But instead ends of up creating the exact circumstances that lead to its destruction.

It's also well paced and tightly structured in a way that science fiction thrillers rarely are.

That said...

Just that final moment in the elevator, with Deckard remembering Gaff shouting: "It's too bad she won't live! But, then again, who does?!" summarizes the essential questions that the story had been asking about creation, life, humanity (More human than human?), and perspective and, perhaps most importantly, leaves them unanswered.

This times 1000.

Bladerunner is a rare movie that exists in an almost perfect state of ambiguity. It doesn't just ask the question of whether or not Deckard is human (or if he can really tell the difference between a Replicant and a human, or if he or Batty is the real protagonist, and so on) it has the courage and craft to create a narrative that strongly supports any number of interpretations and doesn't suffer from any of them.

It's a movie that opens with a text crawl laying out its premise "this is a movie about a guy who shoots runaway robots" and then with the first 20 minutes completely undercuts that premise, "have you ever retired a human by mistake?"

It also belongs with Chinatown and the Maltese Falcon in the pantheon of movies with truly great closing lines.

Vote: Bladerunner
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Frohike, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
25 Oct 2016 06:03 #236865 by Thrun

Black Barney wrote: When people get profoundly disappointed in something, they can get pretty verbose :)

That's why I was thinking Prometheus v Tron Legacy is a good fight :)

Putting stuff close to our hearts would make good matches too. Like Goonies vs Last Starfighter or something. Alien vs Jaws....i dunno

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one voting Blade Runner. At the start of this thread it felt like rigged quiz.

But Tron Legacy shits all over Prometheus so that would be a pointless dome. The buddhist undertones in TL (not the obvious "far out man" references but the cooler stuff like Quinns "hands touching ground" etc etc) are Amazing, the look and style is great, the soundtrack is awesome. I Think its an underrated film for all its many flaws. The animated series is also great and such a shame that Disney canned it.
Prometheus is just a huge turd of silliness, trying to forge an awesome back story to a great franchise, and someone not only dispelling the magic of it but just making it stupid and boring (despite the potential for some of the seed ideas). And I can never get past some of the teen flick horror "why would you do that" shit with the face huggers and the whole scene of running AWAY FROM a giant Rolling Wheel in the SAME DIRECTION just serves as a Visual reminder that this film should be avoided.

More
25 Oct 2016 08:14 #236866 by Black Barney
See, that's why I think it's a good match-up ! I feel like Prometheus is by far the better picture but people have so much hatred towards it that many will simply vote against it

...like the election

More
25 Oct 2016 08:30 - 25 Oct 2016 08:41 #236867 by Mr. White
Regarding future match-ups...

I do wonder if a certain level of 'blockbuster' or 'cult fav' is going to be necessary for the Domes to be interesting. Clearly the Dome is better if more can contribute. I mean, as much as I may want to have some with Beastmaster or Tremors or Ice Pirates or John Carter...I'm not sure how much enthusiasm they'll ultimately get.

We'll see.

Wednesday's is another pair of hits related to these and next week (we're we'll get that Ex Machina in) will have two Domes that will be a sort of gauge going forward.

I do have a lot of (what I think are) good ones coming up beyond that though.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2016 08:41 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds