October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: BoF Vs NotLD

More
31 Oct 2016 07:58 #237210 by Mr. White
(Sorry to have to abbreviate the title)

I was going to finally put Ex Machina in the 'Dome today, but c'mon it's Halloween...

One of the greatest motion pictures ever filmed vs what some consider the first of the modern horror films.

vs

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2016 08:28 #237214 by Black Barney
Night of the Living Dead I believe to be one of the top ten best movies of all time. I hear zombies are kind of a thing now

Vote for They're Coming to Get You Barbara...

More
31 Oct 2016 08:46 #237218 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic CinemaDome: BoF Vs NotLD
This is a tough one for those who know a bit about cinematic history.

I like Night of the Living Dead, but, there wouldn't be a modern horror genre without Bride of Frankenstein since "it" created the archetypes and horror tropes that we now see everywhere (macabre makeup, special effects, and scifi mad scientist laboratories). It's probably forgotten now. It introduced an iconic female star in a major role to the horror genre: Elsa Lanchester. Yet, Night of the Living Dead established and seeded zombies as an independent horror topic. Foremost, though, its director, George Romero, boldly placed an African-American actor in a major role. I also like the social commentary Romero always introduces in his movies. Both movies created a huge splash with ripples that can be felt everywhere. I want to vote for what will likely be the more popular Night of the Living Dead, but, I have to give my vote for Bride of Frankenstein since it's a cornerstone upon which the genre rests.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Shellhead, Mr. White, Colorcrayons

More
31 Oct 2016 09:16 #237221 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic CinemaDome: BoF Vs NotLD
Both movies played a significant role in the history of horror movies.

Bride: It's actually impressive how iconic the Bride of Frankenstein remains after 80+ years. At a Halloween party on Saturday night, I saw a dude cross-dressing as the Bride of Frankenstein, and it was awesome. But I generally don't enjoy really old movies, even though I can acknowledge their historic importance and influence.

Night: I'm pretty burned out on zombies now, but Romero always does a great job of exploring deeper themes, and Night of the Living Dead had things to say about race at a time when those things needed saying. I wish I could have seen it in the theater when the black guy slapped the hysterical white woman in the face, as that had to be an explosive moment for some unsuspecting viewers at that time.

Vote for Night of the Living Dead, because that's the one I actually want to watch again some day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, stoic

More
31 Oct 2016 11:52 #237241 by Colorcrayons
Elsa Lanchester was also the first to make Gothic look sexy as hell.

Romero gave us zombies which crave "Braiiiins".

But it was Whale who made us into zombies that crave "Leeeeggss".

Vote: Bride of Frankenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
31 Oct 2016 12:16 - 31 Oct 2016 12:22 #237243 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic CinemaDome: BoF Vs NotLD
Bride of Frankenstein also touched on some controversial topics in its day. Setting the man-made monster as a Christ figure, Man playing as God, and coding a main character as homosexual all had to be pretty edgy stuff at the time.

But, yeah, having an African-American in the lead trying to help keep a bunch of white people survive...then who is later killed by rednecks, can't be overlooked.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2016 12:22 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, stoic

More
31 Oct 2016 12:45 #237244 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic CinemaDome: BoF Vs NotLD
I'd be fine with either one of these taking the crown, but my heart will always belong to
Bride of Frankenstein.

More
01 Nov 2016 12:30 #237292 by Mr. White
Interest in CinemaDome dried up already?

More
01 Nov 2016 13:21 #237295 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic CinemaDome: BoF Vs NotLD
No. I just don't really have an opinion on either of these. I understand the cultural and cinematic impact of each of them, as others have mentioned, but neither of them has a story that's really compelling for me. To be honest, Fury Road didn't, either, but the change of pace it presented was interesting enough to pontificate about. It's also been many, many years since I've seen either of these films and I've only seen Bride once, so I don't really have much to say. So, lukewarm on the contest, I guess?

I'm tempted to say Night of the Living Dead, since that is one of the few horror films I've found to be genuinely unnerving, but I have an appreciation for a lot of the classic horror films and James Whale (who directed Peter Cushing (Grand Moff Tarkin and a veteran of the latter Hammer horror films) in his debut in The Man in the Iron Mask), so I'll say Bride of Frankenstein.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
01 Nov 2016 15:14 #237301 by jur
Replied by jur on topic CinemaDome: BoF Vs NotLD
Wish I had seen them.

More
01 Nov 2016 15:47 #237302 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic CinemaDome: BoF Vs NotLD
I'm ashamed to admit, I never watched BoF in it's entirety (and was not focused on it when it was on).
So I can't really vote for the Night of the Living Dead... although, what the hell, it is definitely superior. It created a whole new monster and started a whole new genre, and it is still creepy and unsettling.
So, if you allow me, i'd vote for Night of.

More
01 Nov 2016 17:19 #237307 by Michael Barnes
Bride of Frankenstein is one of those otherworldly, perfect movies that seems like it is made of magic. NOTLD is scrappy, earthy and raw. Both are monumentally important films that demonstrate the value of horror in expressing serious themes.

But one of these two movies has Karloff. And that's the winner.

More
01 Nov 2016 17:23 #237308 by ChristopherMD
Haven't watched either in decades and don't intend to change that. I preferred Savini's remake of NotLD anyways so I'll vote for Bride.

More
01 Nov 2016 17:46 - 01 Nov 2016 19:31 #237311 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic CinemaDome: BoF Vs NotLD
NotLD is great, but It's also kind trash disguised as being something much more. Romero insists race played no part in hiring the lead, so anything there is there by coincidence and analyzing the thing to death. I think much of the subtext is there by accident, and that Romero saw what people got out of it and rode with it. This is made more apparent in the Dead sequels, where he beats you over the head with subtext.

Meanwhile, Bride of Frankenstein has intentional subtext and happens to be the greatest monster movie ever made.

Vote: Bride of Frankenstein.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2016 19:31 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
02 Nov 2016 08:37 - 02 Nov 2016 09:56 #237331 by Mr. White
Winner!

7-3

Seems interest has waned for classics this far back...guess we may not dive into films such as Cool Hand Luke, The Searchers, or Maltese Falcon in future 'Domes.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2016 09:56 by Mr. White.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds