October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: Alien vs The Thing

More
02 Nov 2016 15:26 #237365 by barrowdown
I enjoy both movies a lot. However, my vote is for The Thing.

If I am going to chose to watch one of the two, it's almost always going to be The Thing. As jeb said, it's just more entertaining, which is why it is my pick. Both movies have excellent set design, effects work, acting, and pacing so if someone feels the other way I can at least understand the choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2016 16:39 #237371 by Black Barney
WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!

This shouldn't even be close! A fair fight would be Alien versus Jaws or something. But Alien should be blowing The Thing out of the water. The Thing is a remake and Alien has Giger for crissakes. Do you know what Alien did for women on the big screen too??

Is someone else going to disagree with the following mathematical formula:

Ripley > MacReady

No? I didn't think so. MacReady is awesome but COME ON.

Not only are the characters in Alien way deeper and more memorable than the ragtag south pole workers, but the antagonist is far more dangerous.

I bought my g/f Alien on blu-ray as one of her bday gifts last week. She is SO scared of it already, she's asking if we can leave a light on in the room when we see it. You guys remember how insanely long the build-up is in Alien? It's going to kill her, I can't wait to watch someone's first reaction to it. Unfortunately she's seen those awful AvP movies so she knows what facehuggers do (removes much of the punch), but i don't think she appreciates how just one of those damn things managed to wipe out my entire crew.

I absolutely love the Thing. I love it so much that I actually didn't mind the recent remake of it but that's mostly cuz I want to make sex with the protagonist so much.

But come on, Alien is totally ground breaking on everything it sets out to do. A masterpiece through and through.

vote: ALIEN

distress signal my ass
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
02 Nov 2016 16:53 #237373 by Mr. White
I've got something for Jaws...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete

More
02 Nov 2016 16:54 #237374 by SuperflyPete
These are a draw. They're equally awesome in every way.

Alien is a little longer and has some really dull spots, but it sparked the imagination and created so many sequels. The universe is fleshed out more.

I call it a draw but if I had to choose one to die forever and the other to live on, I have to say Alien.

More
02 Nov 2016 16:58 - 02 Nov 2016 17:00 #237376 by Black Barney

Mr. White wrote: I've got something for Jaws...

if you're going to put it against Deep Blue Sea, i will set you ablaze.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2016 17:00 by Black Barney.

More
02 Nov 2016 17:05 #237377 by Colorcrayons
Both are great cosmic horror films.

The thing is lovecraftian. Which makes it great by default. He touted how the greatest fear was that which is not known. A numinous and pondering darkness that the human mind cannot fathom.

Alien however, goes deeper into the human psyche. I am one of those people who happen to agree about the subtext of the horror behind alien, and that is rape. I won't get into it here, but there are places on line to investigate that further.

And because I think the subtext giger set forth is likely, it gives us a horror that we can better understand, and truly be frightened of.

Vote: alien.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Nodens

More
02 Nov 2016 18:05 #237381 by ChristopherMD

Black Barney wrote:

Mr. White wrote: I've got something for Jaws...

if you're going to put it against Deep Blue Sea, i will set you ablaze.

Jaws vs Sharknado then?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Black Barney, Jackwraith, Colorcrayons

More
02 Nov 2016 18:10 #237382 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Alien I don't know how this is a contest. Apart from a couple of notable exceptions(*), pretty much every John Carpenter movie has an interesting/cool idea, and then he just lets it down in the direction and script. There are 2 or 3 cool scenes in The Thing, but it gets way too obsessed with the gore and loses focus on where the best part of the story is: not knowing who is human and who is alien. Alien on the other hand is a game changer and rewrote the space film rulebook.

(*) Big Trouble in Little China is 90% there so gets a pass, though does have a few mystifying script decisions and could have done with an edit or two but the 90% is good enough to make it his best film, thus the only John Carpenter film I give the 100% rating where he seems to maintain focus with a tight script is Assault on Precinct 13.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Vlad

More
02 Nov 2016 18:14 #237384 by Mr. White
Barney would you expect us to compute:

Brody > Ripley?

probably not. Ripley isn't going to lose to much so Ripley v macready isn't a fair barometer to compare these movies.

(though Macready v Chess Wizard is entertainment!)

I think y'all are selling the excellent cast of The Thing short. Obviously Russell and David are fantastic but so were Wilford Brimley, David Moffat, and 'Nauls'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
02 Nov 2016 18:21 #237385 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic CinemaDome: Alien vs The Thing
Ian Holm - second best replicant ever.
John Hurt - best indigestion culminating in birth&death sequence ever.

Barneys' maths are indisputable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Nov 2016 18:32 #237386 by Jackwraith

Mr. White wrote: Obviously Russell and David are fantastic but so were Wilford Brimley,

But, seriously, I think Barney is overstating the case. There's a lot to be said for The Thing and the fact that it was a remake that was more true to the original intent of the story is just one of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Nov 2016 18:59 #237387 by Michael Barnes
Alien. It's the right thing to do and the right way to do it.

Without Alien, there is no Thing. Don't care if it is a remake. Alien's box office success enabled The Thing.

MuMu is correct. I love Carpenter, but his "meat and potatoes", everyman style often short-circuits the deeper material and he has NEVER had a truly great script to work from.

Alien has so many things that recommend it over The Thing, not the least of which is the production design which is pretty god damned close to "greatest of all time". Not just Giger's work- the practical set design is _extraordinary_. The Nostromo interiors are just breathtakingly well done. The photography is also just awesome- that shot of the computer screen reflected in the helmet...there is nothing that great in all of The Thing.

Alien is also very European. It is much more of a Metal Hurlant kind of story. It's sexy and slippery, subversive and discomfiting. It's about more than "blue collar dudes don't know who is who".

Not that The Thing is bad- The Thing is awesome. It's a masterpiece in its own respects. But it is not better in any way than Alien. I was only 4 when Alien came out, but I still remember seeing the ads for it and getting the big Kenner Alien for Christmas that year. It was weird, mysterious and it felt like something you should not really be watching. Then I remember watching it on ABC Sunday Night at the Movies ("parental discretion...is advised") and the imagery and ideas were just so out there to my young mind. But then The Thing was really much more of a classic American monster movie.

Of course, all of you are missing the grand irony here, that Dan O' Bannon, who wrote Alien, worked with Carpenter on Dark Star, which is something of a predecessor to Alien.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
03 Nov 2016 17:41 - 03 Nov 2016 17:42 #237419 by quozl
Vote: The Alien Thing

P.S. Jaws sucks.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2016 17:42 by quozl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
03 Nov 2016 18:35 - 03 Nov 2016 18:36 #237420 by ChristopherMD
I love both of these movies. I also love cats and dogs. Several dogs die in The Thing. The cat survives in Alien.

Vote: Alien
Last edit: 03 Nov 2016 18:36 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

More
04 Nov 2016 08:34 #237437 by Mr. White
Winner!

13-5

The unwashed masses came out in favor of the pop culture property, outnumbering true horror aficionados.

(I thought this was a good pairing. Guess they can't all be close contests...)

Monday - Ex Machina!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, stoic, Vlad

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds