October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: Creed vs The Force Awakens

More
28 Nov 2016 08:05 - 28 Nov 2016 08:13 #239231 by Mr. White
Around this time last year two movies were released. Both the seventh in their respective series. Both were back-to-basics for their franchises. Both introduced the next generation. Both critical and commercial hits. Only one can win CinemaDome.

vs

Last edit: 28 Nov 2016 08:13 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2016 08:17 #239232 by the_jake_1973
I've posted before about my issues with Force Awakens. Not the least of which was the line 'Droid, please!'.

Both movies were rehashes of previous movies in their respective series. Creed ... <ahem> connected with me.

Verdict: Creed

More
28 Nov 2016 09:17 #239239 by Colorcrayons
I kinda wish neither of them.existed. But force awakens had a cool chase scene with the falcon, so force awakens gets my vote.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
28 Nov 2016 09:21 #239240 by jpat
Tough, because I very much like what Creed does, but I spent months thinking about going to TFA, and the product largely met my expectations, so I'm going with The Force Awakens.

More
28 Nov 2016 10:03 #239241 by SuperflyPete
Not even close.

While TFA is absolutely a "reimagining" of A New Hope, it is still fantastically entertaining, despite my childhood being devastated by the death of a main character.

TFA FTW

More
28 Nov 2016 10:12 #239243 by SebastianBludd
The Force Awakens was good and felt like an actual Star Wars movie instead of the CGI nightmare that was the prequels.

When I saw Creed in the subject line my first thought was literally, "Why is White pitting The Force Awakens against Scott Stapp's shitty band?"

Vote: The Force Awakens

More
28 Nov 2016 10:18 #239245 by Black Barney
black stormtrooper > black boxer

The Force Awakens.

More
28 Nov 2016 10:21 #239247 by Mr. White
I know there is no prerequisite to voting...but I'm beginning to wonder if many F:ATties have seen Creed.

More
28 Nov 2016 10:36 - 28 Nov 2016 10:36 #239249 by Grudunza
Creed is great, but TFA was fantastic (for the most part) and had a waaaay bigger expectation to meet. Creed could have been mediocre and people wouldn't have cared much.

TFA, by a parsec.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2016 10:36 by Grudunza.

More
28 Nov 2016 11:14 #239250 by Jackwraith

Mr. White wrote: I know there is no prerequisite to voting...but I'm beginning to wonder if many F:ATties have seen Creed.

I haven't and, therefore, won't be voting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl

More
28 Nov 2016 11:53 #239260 by ChristopherMD
Never saw Creed. Never saw Rocky Balboa either. Just don't care about the franchise anymore.

Vote: The Force Awakens
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
28 Nov 2016 12:25 #239263 by Michael Barnes
All boxing movies are exactly the same, including the really good one (Raging Bull).

TFA is the clear winner.

More
28 Nov 2016 12:47 - 28 Nov 2016 12:53 #239264 by OldHippy
I waited a long time to see TFA. In fact I just watched it maybe a month or two ago once it was on Canadian netflix.

Opening scene has Max Von Sydow... I was pumped. "I forgot he was in this" was my first reaction. "I can sit through anything with him in it" was my next thought. Then Oscar Isaac showed up and I love that guy too. He was great in the last two films I saw him in and I loved him in this too. Totally different role and his ability to be charming and funny completely surprised me. I even loved the opening scene with the villain. What a great villain introduction. Stopping a blaster bolt in mid air... very cool. Then Max is taken from me but I'm ok with it, so far...

Then part way through the film there are two storm troopers walking through a hall and our main villain is pissed off about something, he goes into a rage and rips apart a console, the two storm troopers hear this rage and calmly turn back around and walk the other way... it's supposed to be comic relief and it kind of works I guess. But...

I swear to God it felt like a scene from Space Balls. It really did. By the end of the film Kylo Ren is not a cool villain at all. In fact he sucks. He's whiny, he is prone to fits of rage, there is zero mystery (this one is huge for me) I know his name, his background, where he came from, all his problems, I've seen under his mask and he was beaten by amateurs more than once. He doesn't scare me, he bores me and I know far too much about his life.

Huge mistake. Villains are one of the best parts of Star Wars (OT anyway), keeping the villains mysterious is huge... and there are literally no cool villains in the whole film. The heroes are great, I'll give it that, the humour is there. But ultimately it's still not nearly as good as the OT and much of it's charm relies on nostalgia. It doesn't feel like a complete re-hash as I was told. I liked the run away storm trooper angle, I liked the basic idea of looking for Luke.. it felt like a tribute and a send up at the same time. It was self-aware and some of that worked. But I need better villains in this world.

Creed was something I didn't care if I saw or not. It simply didn't matter and I've never been a Stallone fan. I don't hate the guy, but I couldn't care one way or the other if I saw his movies. Rocky was ok, Rocky 2 was ok, 3 and 4 stunk (although in a fun way I suppose) and I never saw 5. Creed I watched because the Banjo player in our band is a big fan... he kind of got me into UFC too. He loves that shit. In any case I sat there and watched it with him. Deal was he would watch Drunken Master 2 (better than both these films by a country mile) and I would watch Creed.

I liked Creed. No complaints. The main actor did a fantastic job and Stallone was Stallone. Totally tolerable. There are no major mistakes in the film and it was very well done. Yes, it's a boxing movie and no it's not Raging Bull (an all time favourite for me) but it's a very solid film and probably my favourite of the Rocky movies. TFA isn't even in the top three for my favourite SW movies and I hated that villain. So I suppose I'm left with no choice but to vote for Creed.

Vote: Creed
Last edit: 28 Nov 2016 12:53 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Columbob, the_jake_1973, Vlad

More
28 Nov 2016 12:51 #239265 by Mr. White

Jackwraith wrote:

Mr. White wrote: I know there is no prerequisite to voting...but I'm beginning to wonder if many F:ATties have seen Creed.

I haven't and, therefore, won't be voting.

well over 24hrs til polls close...watch it tonight!

More
28 Nov 2016 12:53 #239266 by ChristopherMD
Kylo Ren is clearly a pawn of Snoke who is the real villain and basically nothing is known about him.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds