October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: Blues Brothers vs Ghostbusters

More
08 Dec 2016 08:32 #240115 by Black Barney

Shellhead wrote: There is a recurring theme that I am seeing in these CinemaDomes. Some of you seem to resent a movie for being too good, and will deliberately vote against it in favor of an obvious b-movie. I realize that this is CinemaDome, and there isn't even a requirement that a voter has seen both movies, but this resentment angle seems disconnected from even a basic question of "Which movie do you like more?"

Are you new to this website ? Have you read anything Barnes ever posts ? This is business as usual for the Fort. Try talking about video games that are unanimously considered too good. Everyone breaks out their flannel shirts and thick frame glasses. Sometimes this site is so cool I'm not sure I can stand it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, wadenels, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2016 08:55 - 08 Dec 2016 08:55 #240117 by SebastianBludd

Black Barney wrote: Sometimes this site is so cool I'm not sure I can stand it.

No kidding. These movies don't hold up? Ghostbusters is only funny because of our affection for the actors? Whatever.

I love both movies but Blues Brothers is an unwieldy two hours and 15 minutes long and it's a mess.

Ghostbusters is still funny (and my kids think so, too, since we're all about anecdotal evidence in here lately) and one of the, if not the, best Lovecraftian films put to screen.

Vote: Ghostbusters
Last edit: 08 Dec 2016 08:55 by SebastianBludd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Dec 2016 09:13 #240118 by Shellhead

Black Barney wrote:

Shellhead wrote: There is a recurring theme that I am seeing in these CinemaDomes. Some of you seem to resent a movie for being too good, and will deliberately vote against it in favor of an obvious b-movie. I realize that this is CinemaDome, and there isn't even a requirement that a voter has seen both movies, but this resentment angle seems disconnected from even a basic question of "Which movie do you like more?"

Are you new to this website ? Have you read anything Barnes ever posts ? This is business as usual for the Fort. Try talking about video games that are unanimously considered too good. Everyone breaks out their flannel shirts and thick frame glasses. Sometimes this site is so cool I'm not sure I can stand it.

Perhaps resentment is the foundation on which hipsters stand. They were raised with certain expectations involving the American Dream, and when reality fell short, they turned resentful and critical towards mainstream culture. Hard for me to gauge, because I've always felt like an outsider in nearly every social situation, though I have attained a moderate degree of success in life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Dec 2016 09:30 #240120 by Da Bid Dabid
I love both these movies to death. I'm not surprised that personal preference would sway votes one way or the other, but I am stunned at people who claim to not like one of them or even more blasphemous not like either! As with most comedies I think it helps a lot that you see these in your youth, before the world inevitably makes you a more jaded person. My gut tells me I should vote Blues Brothers because I think if I were to watch either today, I would laugh more at it. But my heart knows what should win this dome and unlike the Blade v Iron Man, this time the popular choice or "better" movie should be the victor.

Vote: Ghostbusters (Can I still make fun of Barnes if I vote with him?)

More
08 Dec 2016 10:04 - 08 Dec 2016 10:19 #240122 by Mr. White
I don't get the complaint against the CinemaDome votes. Trashdome has never been about which game/movie is 'better' but which one you enjoy more. Otherwise, should we not even do a CinemaDome? Maybe we'll just look at Rotten Tomatoes ratings, declare a winner, and move on. You know, like Black Barney does.

In this case, I enjoy Ghostbusters ok but greatly prefer Blues Brothers...though I do think the running potato skins joke from Barnes is funny...

With that, show me someone who thinks mash-up shirts are clever, and I'll show you a Ghostbusters fan.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2016 10:19 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
08 Dec 2016 10:11 - 08 Dec 2016 10:13 #240123 by RobertB
My vote is scientifically based upon which movie I would watch, if both were on at the same time. The Revenant won tons of awards, and is a superior film from top to bottom over The Quick and the Dead, but I'm watching The Quick and the Dead. In my mind it isn't even much of a contest.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2016 10:13 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
08 Dec 2016 10:31 #240124 by Space Ghost
I love both movies.

I think that Dan Aykroyd is great in Blues Brothers, but John Belushi is a bit over the top and heavy-handed for me.

However, I have to go with Ghostbusters just because I think that Dan Aykroyd AND Harold Ramis are hilarious (I never thought that Peter was that funny).

More
08 Dec 2016 10:44 #240125 by Mr. White

RobertB wrote: My vote is scientifically based upon which movie I would watch, if both were on at the same time. The Revenant won tons of awards, and is a superior film from top to bottom over The Quick and the Dead, but I'm watching The Quick and the Dead. In my mind it isn't even much of a contest.

Agreed. Much like Unforgiven and Tombstone. One is by far a more important film, but the other entertains me more and the one of the two I would choose to watch every time.

Quick and the Dead is also a fun flick. "How do you spell that?"

More
08 Dec 2016 10:44 - 08 Dec 2016 10:46 #240126 by Shellhead

Mr. White wrote: I don't get the complaint against the CinemaDome votes. Trashdome has never been about which game/movie is 'better' but which one you enjoy more.

Some of the votes aren't even about "which one you enjoy more." As Vlad mentioned upthread, we just had a presidential election that was more about spite-voting against a candidate than voting in favor of a candidate. Even I'm guilty. In the Creed vs The Force Awakens cinemadome, I voted for Creed without even seeing it, because I was so disappointed by The Force Awakens. So there was no enjoyment involved in that vote that I cast, just spite. And I am seeing that spite in multiple votes in multiple CinemaDomes, particularly when there is a polished and popular movie up against an older b-movie.

EDIT: Mr. White must have some idea of what I'm getting at, because he keeps coming up with match-ups that are surprisingly close.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2016 10:46 by Shellhead.

More
08 Dec 2016 10:53 - 08 Dec 2016 11:56 #240128 by Mr. White

Shellhead wrote: particularly when there is a polished and popular movie up against an older b-movie.

I'm not sure this is the correct take to have comparing movies though. The line above implies that popular means higher quality, but also the other incorrect assumption that older means low quality or unpopular.
A polished, popular movie can be sterile or unfun (Bay's Transformer films), and an older movie can be popular or full of character or class.

There are only 4 years between these two, _much_ less than some 'Domes - T2 v Matrix, Aliens v Fury Road, etc. Were those popular films vs older b-movies? There were no complaints there.

Are we sore about Blade beating Iron Man or Robocop beating Total Recall? 'Older b-movies'?
Last edit: 08 Dec 2016 11:56 by Mr. White.

More
08 Dec 2016 10:58 - 08 Dec 2016 11:36 #240130 by Mr. White

Shellhead wrote: Mr. White must have some idea of what I'm getting at, because he keeps coming up with match-ups that are surprisingly close.

When choosing these Domes I'm trying to find not match ups that are logical comparisons that I think we'll all agree on (Ghostbusters v Galaxy Quest I'm guessing), but which may cause more divisiveness and discussion. Sometimes that's not apples to apples. Still, I try to find a thread that connects the two to make the discussion entertaining. Personally, I don't care what movie wins, but I like to see the banter and debate. It seems in this case Barnes may have pushed a little too much and a bunch of protest votes came out. It's all good though. :)
Last edit: 08 Dec 2016 11:36 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Not Sure, Gregarius

More
08 Dec 2016 11:23 #240133 by Gregarius
I love your match ups. I never even voted on Robocop vs. Total Recall because I found it too difficult!

I haven't been able to add as lucid and brilliant commentary lately as I did for the first few just because of work stuff. But I've still read and followed them all. Keep up the good work.

More
08 Dec 2016 11:59 #240138 by JEM
I don't see so much spite voting as I see the majority on here are nothing more than sock puppet accounts for their six year old kids. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, Vlad

More
08 Dec 2016 16:34 #240151 by Not Sure
Just to be clear, my mind was made up even before commenting on Barnes' lack of soul. It was no protest vote.

Fun aside: I look a hell of a lot like Dan Aykroyd. Enough that people ask me all the damn time "you know who you look like?"

He's also about 30 years older than me. So if you want to pick me out of a crowd, watch Ghostbusters or Spies Like Us, the age is just about right. The disturbing part is now I know what I'm going to look like in thirty years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
08 Dec 2016 16:51 - 08 Dec 2016 16:52 #240152 by Mr. White

Not Sure wrote: Blues Brothers for sure.

Are you sure?
Last edit: 08 Dec 2016 16:52 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, Not Sure, OldHippy, Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.508 seconds