October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Star Wars Armada vs Star Wars X-Wing

More
25 Dec 2016 11:48 #241307 by Secret Satan

VS

Merry Christmas, bitches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2016 12:24 - 25 Dec 2016 12:25 #241309 by Gary Sax
Armada! But for taste reasons, not necessarily quality. Armada matches are a slower slugfest where ships maneuver about one another for multiple turns dropping damage cards on them. The fighter/cap ship interplay really works for me, too, which is something that isn't in x wing. I also prefer longer games to multiple short games---for ME I prefer a 2-3 hour evening game and Armada fits right in a sensible weeknight if prepared beforehand.

I do think armada's releases have also been a bit more sensibly managed and the designers thought hard about how card complexity would build in the ruleset in more manageable way.
Last edit: 25 Dec 2016 12:25 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Hadik

More
26 Dec 2016 10:06 #241327 by Jexik
X-WING

I've not played Armada, but it sounds like I wouldn't like it. I prefer a game to be under 2 hours, and I like the dogfighting and outmaneuvering aspect of X-Wing. I like to fly interceptors and other stuff that can boost and/or barrel roll.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Msample

More
27 Dec 2016 08:23 #241342 by edulis
X-wing I love epic x-wing with the slow moving huge ships plodding along as fighter zoom in and out. I also like the quicker games and scenarios and X-wing shines as a much better tournament game then Armada.

Admittedly I've only played Armada once and I like the upcoming campaign idea and I think it would be a more tactical. I have close to 100 x-wing ships, and have zero desire to invest in another game - so X-wing wins!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
27 Dec 2016 08:27 #241343 by charlest
I've played both and choose X-Wing. It feels more like Star Wars to me and is more exciting.

More
27 Dec 2016 11:27 #241356 by engineer Al
I love them both, but I agree that X-Wing "feels more like Star Wars to me" and is also just more fun.

More
27 Dec 2016 11:45 #241357 by Msample
Only played Armada once, but it was enough to tell me I'd prefer X Wing. The former felt more plodding and herky jerky, but X Wing is just pure flying and shooting.

More
27 Dec 2016 19:05 #241388 by Hex Sinister
I truly love both games. It's as difficult as deciding which is better, ANH or ESB...

X-Wing is always a good time and there is a huge selection of ships along with so many options that you could probably field something different each week for a year. I love variety in my games which is why I dig stuff like HeroScape, Duel of Ages 2, etc. I can't think of a bad thing to say about X-wing except that it's a bitch to store which is not an issue with the game.

Armada is slightly more ambitious and I think the games have a lot more tension going on. There are also many more difficult decisions to make which really makes you feel like the commander of a massive, expensive fleet. I truly enjoy that Captain's chair feeling you get while playing this. One of my favorite games (though I never played as much as I would like) was Star Fleet Battles and I always wished there could be a streamlined, but not dumb, version. While the two games may not be that similar, I feel they hit the same notes and Armada is clearly a winner for me here.

I don't think either game is necessarily superior but perhaps it boils down to whether you enjoy being a hot shot ace pilot or the calculating admiral of a massive space navy. I think I'm more of a (shitty) admiral so,
VOTE = ARMADA

P.S. I know they did some streamlining for new lines in the Star Fleet Universe but I don't want to support ADB for finicky reasons.
P.P.S Star Trek is dead to me. Except the OS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Hadik

More
27 Dec 2016 19:53 #241390 by jpat
Vote: Armada, primarily on personal preference (though i really haven't played either game enough), and although I own one of the big X-wing ships, I haven't played with it. Both games are really excellent, and it's a testament to FFG (and maybe to *cough* third parties, with respect to X-wing) that both games are so different and evocative.

More
28 Dec 2016 04:19 #241404 by panzerattack
Armada for me. Although X-Wing is the shorter game, whenever I play it I feel it always slightly out-stays it's welcome. Armada is longer but just better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
30 Dec 2016 12:43 #241557 by ChristopherMD
Was expecting more than 9 votes on this but it was still close.

X-Wing: 5 - WINNER
Armada: 4
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Dec 2016 13:46 #241561 by Gary Sax
^Me too, i always thought there was a lot of latent passionate X-wing support.

More
30 Dec 2016 15:05 #241567 by Michael Barnes
WAIT A MINUTE. I did not get to vote.

ARMADA. It's a tie.

I love X-Wing and all, and it is the premiere dogfighting game. It takes one of my favorite parts of Star Wars- the Top Gunny jet pilot stuff- and makes a big ol' fun pew pew game out of it. I don't keep up with it anymore, I stopped after the Headhunters wave and I still want the Rebels/FA/RO stuff, but I have a big collection of the "main" ships and it is still fun to pull them out and run a game. I've been playing a slightly simplified version with my son lately and really enjoying it.

BUT ARMADA IS THE BEST. It is bigger, bolder, more elaborate and more compelling overall. AND you still get the pew pew fighter pilot stuff (if you are awesome and run lots of squadrons). It captures the Battle of Endor/Scarif scale of big ship engagements really well, and the miniatures are just beautiful on the table. I love that it has lots of custom engineered bits, I love that it has a completely innovative and unique movement method. The ship command mechanics are great, and overall it is just a more multi-faceted and engaging game. It's OK that it's longer because the scale is bigger. I have the new wave of ships on the way and I am very much looking forward to the new squadrons in particular.

I do kind of wonder if the rumors that it was originally developed as a Battlefleet Gothic relaunch are actually true, because it captures some things that game did but without some of the wonkier stuff.

More
30 Dec 2016 17:21 #241582 by Jexik
You didn't get to vote because you were playing at a strategic pace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, charlest

More
30 Dec 2016 18:24 #241584 by Michael Barnes
That's right, and my vote was more supple and robust than the others.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds