October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2651 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Gloomhaven v. Silver Tower

More
04 Jan 2018 22:48 #260249 by Shellhead

Colorcrayons wrote: But beyond Wiz-War, I don't usually agree with Charles game choices anyways, despite respecting his opinion.

Same here. I really appreciate his well-written reviews, but yeah, Charles and I don't tend to like the same games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2018 09:37 #260260 by Sevej
I vote for Gloomhaven eventhough I haven't played either. I myself reached the conclusion that each encounter in a dungeon should be puzzle-like in nature. Otherwise, it's just a repeated cycle of walking and bash something while getting treasure occasional which, most of the time, are just increasing your numbers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, stoic

More
06 Jan 2018 00:49 #260374 by Varys
Gloomhaven by a million miles. I’ve played it at least 30 times now and I’m itching to play it every day wanting to unlock more content and strategizing the best way to build my characters and party.

As for Silver Tower, I have not played it nor do I ever desire to play it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

More
06 Jan 2018 12:39 #260397 by Shellhead

Sevej wrote: I vote for Gloomhaven eventhough I haven't played either. I myself reached the conclusion that each encounter in a dungeon should be puzzle-like in nature. Otherwise, it's just a repeated cycle of walking and bash something while getting treasure occasional which, most of the time, are just increasing your numbers.

I think this is the crucial point. The original dungeon crawl game was Dungeons and Dragons, and there were different ways to play that game. Some people wanted to emphasize the role-playing aspect and really get into their characters, but the early adventures tended to support either a focus on puzzle-solving or hack-and-slash combat. People who gravitate towards Gloomhaven want to solve puzzles, while people who prefer Silver Tower want to roll dice, kill monsters, and have fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, stoic

More
06 Jan 2018 23:46 - 06 Jan 2018 23:55 #260422 by Sevej

Shellhead wrote:

Sevej wrote: I vote for Gloomhaven eventhough I haven't played either. I myself reached the conclusion that each encounter in a dungeon should be puzzle-like in nature. Otherwise, it's just a repeated cycle of walking and bash something while getting treasure occasional which, most of the time, are just increasing your numbers.

I think this is the crucial point. The original dungeon crawl game was Dungeons and Dragons, and there were different ways to play that game. Some people wanted to emphasize the role-playing aspect and really get into their characters, but the early adventures tended to support either a focus on puzzle-solving or hack-and-slash combat. People who gravitate towards Gloomhaven want to solve puzzles, while people who prefer Silver Tower want to roll dice, kill monsters, and have fun.

Except it seems Goomhaven does allow you to kill monsters, and, for some people, have fun. Really, you can always dice to puzzle-like games.

I'm thinking about a game with 3 types of dice (STR, DEX, and INT), and the type and amount of dice you roll depends on your class and level (a Paladin would roll 2 STR and 1 INT dice for example). You roll before your turn and try to best use your dice result. Equipments and skills can make dice work efficiently. Or something like that... That way you can have dice also.

Really, the only thing lost will be "fast-paced excitement", which these days I no longer look from board games.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2018 23:55 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
07 Jan 2018 13:21 #260437 by Gary Sax
Just wanted to say that I think this is a great thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, stoic

More
07 Jan 2018 17:03 #260450 by wkover
This one's close. I count 6-6. The tiebreaker's going to come down to a die roll or combat modifier card flip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Frohike

More
08 Jan 2018 04:25 #260483 by Matt Thrower

wkover wrote: This one's close. I count 6-6. The tiebreaker's going to come down to a die roll or combat modifier card flip.

Vote: Silver Tower.

The mini-games make it superb: I don't know of another title that uses dexterity challenges to so brilliantly add excitement and immersion to a dungeon run. I don't feel the world needs Gloomhaven when it already has Mage Knight.

More
08 Jan 2018 07:39 #260489 by stoic
For now, the VICTOR is SILVER TOWER!

But, this Trashdome has been so close that we should check back in six-months to see how the bloated 22 lb. box of Gloomhaven does after the hype inertia wears away.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds