Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

O
oliverkinne
January 27, 2023
437 0
O
oliverkinne
January 26, 2023
257 0

Aves Board Game Review

Board Game Reviews
S
Sagrilarus
January 25, 2023
294 0
O
oliverkinne
January 24, 2023
340 0
W
We-reNotWizards
January 24, 2023
335 0
T
thegiantbrain
January 23, 2023
429 0

Hardback Board Game Review

Board Game Reviews
S
Sagrilarus
January 20, 2023
334 0
O
oliverkinne
January 20, 2023
969 0

Outpost 18 Review

Board Game Reviews
O
oliverkinne
January 05, 2023
876 0

Villagers Board Game Review

Board Game Reviews
T
thegiantbrain
January 05, 2023
796 0
O
oliverkinne
January 03, 2023
1345 0
T
thegiantbrain
December 29, 2022
778 0
S
Sagrilarus
December 28, 2022
527 0
O
oliverkinne
December 28, 2022
654 0
W
We-reNotWizards
December 28, 2022
659 0
O
oliverkinne
December 26, 2022
601 0

Plutocracy Board Game Review

Board Game Reviews
×
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - DOOM: TBG versus Descent: JitD

More
09 Feb 2009 13:44 #20590 by ChristopherMD
Juniper wrote:

This is the TRASHDOME.


More like...



THIS IS TRASHDOME!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2009 13:47 #20591 by jeb
Nice matchup. I've also played them both once. DOOM is more frenetic, no one's glyphing back to town, so the LoS management needs to be a lot more defined. There's more ~game~ in DOOM in this regard. Ammo management is such a pain in the ass though--THAT is a well done aspect of the translation from FPS to BG.

DESCENT, even if just JOURNEYS IN THE DARK is a great D&D replacement. People that claim the RPG element is missing are just being jerks. This makes them touhg to directly compare--they are after different experiences, and it's amazing how well they do it when you actually play them, rather then just flipping through the rulebooks.

I'm going to go with DOOM, just because it more immediately accessible. The rabbit hole is deeper with DESCENT, but DOOM can get things going fast faster.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2009 13:51 #20593 by Octavian
DOOM is more accessible, and is really great at pulling off the "survival horror" feel.

That said, I'm sticking with Descent. I like the variety offered in Descent, and the heroes actually have a fighting chance in most Descent games. I also find designing unique scenarios in Descent to be far more fulfilling than in DOOM.

And this is for basic Descent and/or non-RtL expansions. Screw RtL - great in theory, but just not worth it in actuality.

-MMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2009 14:10 #20598 by metalface13
You can complain about expansions fixing base games, but the expansions in Descent REALLY get things going.

Yes, in the base game of Descent the heroes will walk right over the overlord every single time. Especially in the first quests. But even in the later Journeys in the Dark quests things get a lot tougher.

Well of Darkness really starts to switch things up. The monsters get harder. The traps more devious. The quests more dangerous. Throw in the treachery cards and the Overlord starts turning into a hero grinding machine.

And since when did you guys start caring about "fast" and "ease of entry to play"? This is F:AT!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2009 14:16 #20600 by Ken B.
metalface13 wrote:

This is F:AT!



F:AT?


THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAA!




Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2009 14:18 #20603 by Michael Barnes
And since when did you guys start caring about "fast" and "ease of entry to play"? This is F:AT!

Whoa. Just whoa. No further comment required, I think.

People that claim the RPG element is missing are just being jerks.

It's there, it's just a different kind of RPG element. It's not the "talk in funny voices" kind of RPG (which I fucking hate to no end- sorry, but that really is kind of for ex-drama club folks), it's the kind of RPG where you have a character with particular advantages and disadvantages and you play to those. No, you don't answer stupid riddles and shit like that, but you do have a sense of ego, position, and ability and I think that sells it as an RPG.

It is interesting to see DOOM so well-regarded a few years on...I reviewed it pretty highly at Games International at at the time, it was the only SPACE HULK-style game on the market. But there was definitely mixed notices at the time, mostly from crybabies who couldn't get over the fact that the game was tough and didn't like having limited ammo. I wonder if DOOM is due for a "rediscovery". I never played the expansion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2009 14:18 #20604 by jeb
metalface13 wrote:

And since when did you guys start caring about "fast" and "ease of entry to play"? This is F:AT!

Dude, when I was in grad school and had some fucking time to kill, I'd be with you, DESCENT++ is probably better than DOOM. But to figure it out you've gotta play 900 hours. I want to have fun -right now-. DOOM delivers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2009 14:32 #20609 by Space Ghost
Octavian wrote:
And this is for basic Descent and/or non-RtL expansions. Screw RtL - great in theory, but just not worth it in actuality.
-MMM[/quote]

Have to disagree here -- RtL is what makes Descent worth playing, IMO. It introduces several key points in the game where decision making is very important, for both heroes and overlord. People bitch about balanced, but we found it to be very balanced throughout (and we even introduced feats at the end of Silver); however, to maintain balance it requires shifting strategies by overlord and heroes at different phases of the campaign.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2009 14:55 #20610 by Shellhead
I wonder if FFG switched their focus from Doom to Descent simply because they had to pay licensing fees related for Doom but not for their own Descent/Runebound setting. And I suppose the potential market for a D&D-style dungeon crawl is huge compared to the market for a Space Hulk-type adventure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2009 15:08 #20611 by ChristopherMD
Shellhead wrote:

I wonder if FFG switched their focus from Doom to Descent simply because they had to pay licensing fees related for Doom but not for their own Descent/Runebound setting. And I suppose the potential market for a D&D-style dungeon crawl is huge compared to the market for a Space Hulk-type adventure.


I've always suspected Descent was originally to be Diablo: The Board Game, but like you say they ultimately didn't want to pay licensing fees when they can use their own free setting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2009 13:19 - 11 Feb 2009 14:22 #20831 by ChristopherMD
The underdog, DOOM, is putting up quite a fight so far against a game more than twice it size. We'll see if it can pull off a fatality on Friday or if Descent can make a comeback. This is still anybody's match.

Descent: Journeys In The Dark
metalface13
Michael Barnes
Space Ghost
Octavian

DOOM: The Board Game
Schweig!
Shellhead
dysjunct
Juniper
Aarontu
Ken B.
jeb

I'll put the final votes in the first post on Friday. This is just an update to bump the thread. :-)
Last edit: 11 Feb 2009 14:22 by ChristopherMD. Reason: spelling correction

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2009 14:07 #20850 by timeLESS
I'd easily hand this one to Descent. The options are endless! The bits are better and Gameplay is FUN!.

Also im totally gonna rip the Dungeon Tiles and use them to make Roborally Arenas Deathmatch, King of the Hill, Capture the Flag etc.

Lets not even bring in the expansions here, because they take Descent to a whole other level.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2009 14:14 #20852 by Beisaic
Doom. I'll explain more later.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2009 14:17 - 11 Feb 2009 14:20 #20853 by Columbob
Doom's a cool game if you fix some of the ammo issues with 2-3 marines. However it was always going to be limited by its license and FFG could not create anything that wasn't in the video game. Still, it can play faster than Descent and it's pretty nail-biting. I haven't tried the capture the flag or other pvp modes however.

But my vote has to go to Descent for all of the added options and choices. Granted, some of the choices of equipment are ridiculous (never see anyone buy daggers or those other crap missile weapons from the expansions, or even bows unless they get the appropriate skill), but all the same it's an awesome game.

metalface13 wrote:

Yes, in the base game of Descent the heroes will walk right over the overlord every single time. Especially in the first quests. But even in the later Journeys in the Dark quests things get a lot tougher.


Some of the later quests from the base game are really tough on the heroes. Quest 5 for example, where I'm 4-0 as Overlord against the same group of players. Quest 7 is also notoriously difficult and my buddies haven't really progressed at all in that dungeon in 2 tries (and don't care for trying it again). Quest 6 is ridiculously easy for the heroes though, and I'd say quests 8-9 are pretty well balanced.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2009 14:20 by Columbob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2009 14:49 #20858 by Almalik
Somebody mentioned earlier that the monsters in Doom stick around longer than the ones in Descent (ie. you actually have to track wounds on the guys), is this true? if it is, I might be tempted to pick it up/try it out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds