October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Hidden Trackable Information - Open vs Closed

More
28 Nov 2022 07:46 #337049 by Legomancer
A more important skill than memory is Not Caring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, sornars, mc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2022 05:10 #337083 by sornars
We had a lot of hedging this Trashdome with folks often preferring Open or Closed depending on context; my count for explicit preferences had the tally at
Open: 5
Closed: 6
which suggests the competition is much closer than it is. It feels like the centre of gravity for this group seems to lean towards closed for the drama. I enjoyed the discussion, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

More
29 Nov 2022 12:47 #337103 by jason10mm

Shellhead wrote: Closed is more interesting because of the uncertainty:

"Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

While I appreciate this reference, in fact whether or not Dirty Harry had a round left was OPEN INFO because, since he had not cocked the hammer and rotated the cylinder, whether or not there was still a round left can be seen from the front (in real life, not so much in the film).

The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
29 Nov 2022 13:22 #337108 by Shellhead
It's hidden trackable closed information, because Harry isn't going to show the guy how many rounds are left even though both of them could have counted the shots. It would be open if the punk asked Harry to show him how many rounds were left and Harry complied.

More
29 Nov 2022 13:47 #337109 by jason10mm
I think I favor the OPEN side for this specific bit, since revealing the info, then hiding it, just makes the typical casual gamer, prone to missing parts of the game in the first place, feel even more disconnected. It also feels "card counting-ish" in a way that probably doesn't help most games.

Now stuff like resources/money in Power Grid I feel can be made open or closed depending on the type of play you want. Having all that stuff open dramatically emphasizes the mathiness of the game, which can be a strong boost to more experienced players but also leads to a lot of calculations and slows play.

Same with the hand of cards you can use to boost battle performance in something like Game of Thrones. Everyone knows what hand you have at the beginning, and they can see it as one is played, so knowing what is left is open info, but obviously can be very hard to track. The rule book helpfully delineates what is open or hidden trackable info but tweaking this can add or reduce uncertainty or allow for a bit of metagame bluffing.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds